• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coffee. I want to talk about coffee.

I must have my morning coffee! Period! All I need is a basic cup of coffee, I always drink it black... On most work days I'll grab a coffee to go at my local 7-11 convenience store... On weekends at home...

Then after work I usually have a coffee at home, I use french press only, grind my beans, I'm hardcore, I dislike the idea of putting a pod into a machine and just pressing a button, ugh!

Weekends? I have some coffee shops I frequent, that have ambience and good coffee and good company... If you're ever in Calgary I would recommend a trip to Roasterie, Caffe Beano, Vendome Cafe, Bean Stop or Rosso Cafe... I'm not a big fan of the mass produced coffee shops, largely because I would rather support a local business...

I have a fairly regular "date" with a friend on Sunday afternoons at Roasterie, over a coffee, often after browsing the nearby flea market...

I get my caffeine fix mostly from green tea, but do like black tea, too. I also like earl grey. I tried coffee. I gave it a truly fair shake but oh my........one half a cup and I am all shaky and heart pounding. I don't know why! I could take FIVE tea bags and drink that and not the same even though it has the same amount of caffeine! There must be something in coffee I am sensitive to? Either way, I like this post. It's fun. Does anyone do energy drinks? They scare me.

I’m a light weight i guess. Coffee makes me really nervous feeling and jittery. I tried decaf it was okay, but i never really acquired the taste for it.

I like tea sometimes, but would rather drink orange juice or my favorite is Naked Blue Machine juice. I can drink a jug a day if I had it around all the time.

I got hooked on coffee in college - to this day, hazelnut coffee takes me straight back to freshman year. I used to drink it with cream and sugar - now I have to drink it black for health reasons, though I am trying to avoid caffeine, even the little bit in decaf - I'm just failing in that goal, again, for health reasons. I love the smell of coffee beans at coffee shops, there's one near me with loads of different kinds that you can smell freely. I love the smell of a few beans roasted in a pot at home. I love chocolate covered coffee beans, though it's too easy to overindulge and have way too much caffeine. Once, in college, I added twice the amount of coffee by mistake when I was making it - I felt like I wanted to fly off of a cliff!

My favorite kind of coffee is Greek coffee - prepared "metrios", that is, equal parts sugar and grinds. I have only had it on rare occasions. To prepare it at home I'd need to buy special grinds and a briki to make it in.

I love coffee, when I was younger I used to enjoy drinking Espresso every so often. As I get older I tend to like the more mild blonde roast with frothed milk (<3 my Breville cappuccino Frother). I haven't really tried any others except for the chocolate coffees which are fun but it can be addictive so I had to force myself to switch. I must have coffee in the morning but it's only 1 cup, any more then 2 cups and I start talking too much, extremely hyper and my mind is super focused on everything.

And my favourite coffee at The Roasterie is their New Orleans dark roast, I'm enough of a regular that they pretty much automatically get it for me, I'm a loyal type... :D

Always have medium roast decafe, small cup with breakfast.
My favourite coffee time is evenings.
Then I buy either a Vanilla Latte or Vanilla Cappucino most anywhere that sells them.
Sometimes take it to go. It's like my evening dessert.
If I'm at home I'll usually have a cup of hot tea.
White, green or an herbal mixture with licorice or ginger
in it.

I only have one cup a day... if you count my French press as ONE GIANT CUPPA.

I get good coffee in a flavor and a very good decaf to go half-caff. Love the flavor with heavy cream, but must be careful not to drink too much and get all speedy. But first thing in the morning doesn't seem to mess up my sleep.

Also love tea, especially the Celestial Seasonings herbal teas, which have no caffeine.

Another option is the roasted coffee beans (Crio Bru is a good brand) which I boil on the stove and makes the world's best hot chocolate. (Again, with just a spoonful of heavy cream, no sugar ever.) Chocolate actually has theobromine; the kinder, gentler, caffeine.

@Benjamin Dover: what are the different temperatures for different teas?

@LucyPurrs: That is an awesome and much appreciated suggestion but I have not because I have a big problem with the plastic taste (and plastic smell) from coffee machines (also plastic kettles).

I once considered trying to use the stainless steel k-cup pods to steep coffee but they are not sealed at the top and I woud prefer something I don't have to alter (at least not when I'm paying like $30 for it) in order to completely submerge it in hot water and swish it around.

I tried using a tea ball once.....The coffee tasted great, but almost all of the grounds came out of the tea ball and so the sensory experience was unpleasant. (I shall try again if I ever find a really fine-mesh tea ball.)

@Sid Delicious and @Gritches, is it the flavor in its entirety or just the bitterness?

@Gritches, I have both accepted and extended invitations to "go for coffee" and then had something other than coffee at the coffee shop. (Maybe this is weird and I have never noticed, but it has never been a problem for me :) )

For all the tea drinkers, does anyody else like loose leaf teas? I don't always drink loose leaf tea (convenience) but I prefer the taste of it (no paper flavor and the oils are left in).

Also, does anyone who drinks loose leaf tea have a tea steeper shaped like something interesting -- a "fun/creative" tea steeper? I would possibly be a collector of fun/creative tea steepers if I could justify spending money on them ..... mine is shaped like a little teapot. I have many hours just looking at pictures of interesting unconventional tea steepers.

@SusanLR do you ever mix mint and white tea?

@vangelis, @Streetwise what kind of decaf? (unknown vs. solvent-based vs. swiss water process vs. carbon dioxide?) Do you find it tastes different to regular coffee? (I don't know if I have ever had decaf coffee.....can't recall, so if I have I probably wasn't aware it was decaf.)

@Flinty, I used to quite like coffee crisp -- was never my favorite chocolate bar but it was good. (Can't eat it anymore, probably would still enjoy the taste.)

@Sherlock77, I also grind my own beans. It used be just because its cheaper but I have come to appreciate having control over the coarseness of the grind and I've gotten it into my head that the whole beans will not go stale as quickly (to me, rancid coffee is worse than rancid peanut butter, and in order to be able to afford the coffee I like I stock up when it's on sale). I will drink whatever is available in a pinch, though.

I don't go out for coffee often but I am ever going out for coffee in Calgary I will keep your suggested coffee shops in mind (I also like to support the local independent shops).

@OkRad: I have had energy drinks but they are not my cup of tea (is that an accidental play on words there?).

@Chance, Naked Blue Machine juice sounds delicious.

@WereBear, is half-calf a mix of decaf and regular coffee?

I find coffee quite calming. When I have to do stressful, anxiety-producing things I have a cup of coffee to steady myself. Not sure if there is an inverted-U effect for this where if I had too much the effects would reverse.....not really keen to experiment, though.

I love coffee and caffeine and I am quite addicted to it. I put butter in my coffee as it's creamy and doesn't need sugar.

Do you like coffee?
Do you drink coffee?
Are you addicted to coffee?
Do you have coffee preferences?
Do you have anything at all to say about coffee?

I like coffee -- the caffeinated variety. I am mildly addicted to it.

I prefer percolated or french press coffee, but I currently make it in a regular cooking pot on the stove -- "cowboy coffee". (This is to minimize the amount of dishwashing I have to do, since percolators and french presses, with their many parts, are a pain to wash.)

I dislike dark roast -- it just tastes burnt to me. I like medium or light roasts.

I put milk in my coffee, but no sugar unless I am also adding cocoa, vanilla, or mint.

@vangelis, @Streetwise what kind of decaf? (unknown vs. solvent-based vs. swiss water process vs. carbon dioxide?) Do you find it tastes different to regular coffee? (I don't know if I have ever had decaf coffee.....can't recall, so if I have I probably wasn't aware it was decaf.)

It's liquid CO2 I think. It does taste different to me but didn't take long to get used to.

Oh yeah baby. I like all types of coffee, lattes, mochas, etc. I make/like my coffee strong, like Starbucks makes it. ;):coffee:

I like different types of teas too. Don't get me started. As a matter of fact, I'm a foodie PERIOD. I could talk ones ears off :D.

Someone asked about the different temperatures for various types of tea. I cannot explain WHY these are the way they are, but it may have something to do with how hearty the tea leaf might be, or how long it takes to get the tea from the leaf.

I get my tea at Teavana, which is an arm of Starbucks that appears to be closing down soon. I go by the recommendations that they provide for the loose leaf teas.

Here are a few of my favorites, based on 16 ounce servings:

Youthberry and Wild Orange Blossom: 3tsp of tea at 175F for two minutes.

Chamomile Bloom Herbal Tea: 1.5-2tsp at 205F for five minutes.

Lavender Creme Tea: 1.5-2tsp at 205F for five minutes.

Green Tea: 3tsp at 175F for two minutes.

no !it just makes me panic faster and starts anxiety if its caffeinated ,even decaff can do it if i use more than half a bean !i have no idea how its produced.

@Benjamin Dover: what are the different temperatures for different teas?

@LucyPurrs: That is an awesome and much appreciated suggestion but I have not because I have a big problem with the plastic taste (and plastic smell) from coffee machines (also plastic kettles).

I once considered trying to use the stainless steel k-cup pods to steep coffee but they are not sealed at the top and I woud prefer something I don't have to alter (at least not when I'm paying like $30 for it) in order to completely submerge it in hot water and swish it around.

I tried using a tea ball once.....The coffee tasted great, but almost all of the grounds came out of the tea ball and so the sensory experience was unpleasant. (I shall try again if I ever find a really fine-mesh tea ball.)

@Sid Delicious and @Gritches, is it the flavor in its entirety or just the bitterness?

@Gritches, I have both accepted and extended invitations to "go for coffee" and then had something other than coffee at the coffee shop. (Maybe this is weird and I have never noticed, but it has never been a problem for me :) )

For all the tea drinkers, does anyody else like loose leaf teas? I don't always drink loose leaf tea (convenience) but I prefer the taste of it (no paper flavor and the oils are left in).

Also, does anyone who drinks loose leaf tea have a tea steeper shaped like something interesting -- a "fun/creative" tea steeper? I would possibly be a collector of fun/creative tea steepers if I could justify spending money on them ..... mine is shaped like a little teapot. I have many hours just looking at pictures of interesting unconventional tea steepers.

@SusanLR do you ever mix mint and white tea?

@Flinty, I used to quite like coffee crisp -- was never my favorite chocolate bar but it was good. (Can't eat it anymore, probably would still enjoy the taste.)

@Sherlock77, I also grind my own beans. It used be just because its cheaper but I have come to appreciate having control over the coarseness of the grind and I've gotten it into my head that the whole beans will not go stale as quickly (to me, rancid coffee is worse than rancid peanut butter, and in order to be able to afford the coffee I like I stock up when it's on sale). I will drink whatever is available in a pinch, though.

I don't go out for coffee often but I am ever going out for coffee in Calgary I will keep your suggested coffee shops in mind (I also like to support the local independent shops).

@OkRad: I have had energy drinks but they are not my cup of tea (is that an accidental play on words there?).

@Chance, Naked Blue Machine juice sounds delicious.

@WereBear, is half-calf a mix of decaf and regular coffee?

I find coffee quite calming. When I have to do stressful, anxiety-producing things I have a cup of coffee to steady myself. Not sure if there is an inverted-U effect for this where if I had too much the effects would reverse.....not really keen to experiment, though.

Tortoise you might like Costa Rican coffee- you use a bag called a chorreador or a bolsa (https://www.amazon.com/Ticoland-Col...=1514678915&sr=8-1&keywords=chorreador+filter) put coffee finely ground in it and pour the water over it. The coffee has to be almost like powder it's so finely ground. The only cleanup is to invert the bag over the sink and rinse it out (without soap). Bag is made from linen like fabric. This is the best coffee I've ever tasted- Costa Rica is famous for its coffee and sometimes you can get the beans in places like Costco or a good supermarket. But you'd have to have a grinder I guess and don't know if you'd want to invest in that. Anyway just a suggestion.

Last edited:
And did I mention my coffee grinder, a vintage 1960's Braun KSM1 coffee grinder, considered to be the first electric grinder ever made... A flea market find, mine is yellow... Is that hard core enough for you? :D

A gif photo I found...

Braun-1967-KSM1.gif

A History of Braun Design, Part 4: Kitchen Appliances - Core77

New Threads

Top Bottom