• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christianity and Aspergers

Does anyone practice this and have you found that it helps? do you accept autism or do you fight it, to be healed from it?

i just fight for the inclusion & acceptance of every nt i can find,even if they don't know what aspergers is,the way other aspies would however they can.

I am a Christian I pray almost every day and attend church almost every Sunday and yes my faith helps me I honestly don't know what I do without Jesus in my life he died on the cross for my sins and he loves everybody yes even autistic people hope this helps

Yes! My faith certainly helps me with my struggles. I am able to find peace in the daily storms of life. Praying and listening to worship music helps me to break out of any obsessive thinking (or interest). It also helps greatly with my anxiety.

No, I am not fighting to "be healed" of ASD. I love how my brain works. I do, however, ask for strength in real time for the many areas I have deficits in. As I see it, people with ASD are one of God's many treasures in the world. We have a lot to offer!

I wear ear plugs to big service and in the lobby. I can not be apart of small groups that have more than 8 people. I am a part of various ministries and the leadership team with my husband (my part is small and measured to what I can handle).

I cannot do what many NT people in my church can, but they know of my condition and are very friendly and helpful, always making me feel apart of rather than apart from. I do not have friends, but my church family is a safe place for me to (attempt to) socialize and connect with others.

I do not want to talk about if God exists, but I want to talk about what he has done for you with Autism or if He has helped you accept your diagnoses. and if we should fight it like we would diabetes?

There are times when I think we really should fight this condition and treat it like diabetes, and times when I dread the possibility of becoming more like the complacent and distracted majority. As for God, I have to wonder why a God - any God - would think it a good idea to place us among people who are almost as alien to us, from a mental perspective, as it is possible to be. I fail to comprehend the reason(s) for this, or what possible benefit it could bring to anyone. For me personally, being this way has made it much, much more difficult to relate to an idea (i.e. God) that is, ultimately, unknowable, incredibly abstract, and requires a "leap of faith" to accept. My mind just doesn't work that way and, as I understand it, the minds of the majority of 'Aspies' don't either.

when you are christian,you can celebrate any holiday you choose,except halloween !
The roots of Halloween come from Europe, the word can be broken down into the eve of all Hallows day thus Halloween, before the 20th century it was widely understood that it was the day to exalt evil ,if you were a pagan as the next day is All Hallows day November 1st .
I also don’t celebrate Halloween now as it is the day Martha Moxley died in 1975 .

The roots of Halloween come from Europe, the word can be broken down into the eve of all Hallows day thus Halloween, before the 20th century it was widely understood that it was the day to exalt evil ,if you were a pagan as the next day is All Hallows day November 1st .
FYI, October 31st [1517] is also commemorated as Reformation Day. (I don't know how it is celebrated, though...
full
)

Most major Protestant denominations stem from Luther and his break with Catholicism on that date. The Reformation was/is way bigger than just Lutheranism.
Confused somebody again I read about the date on Wikipedia it said it was celebrated by Calvinists and Lutherans.

Happy Reformation Day!
full

I didn't know there was such a thing. But it has reminded me of a very old church I visited in Germany that split around the time of the Reformation, part remaining Catholic and part becoming Protestant. They solved the dilemma by building a wall down the center aisle, dividing the church building in half!

There are times when I think we really should fight this condition and treat it like diabetes, and times when I dread the possibility of becoming more like the complacent and distracted majority. As for God, I have to wonder why a God - any God - would think it a good idea to place us among people who are almost as alien to us, from a mental perspective, as it is possible to be. I fail to comprehend the reason(s) for this, or what possible benefit it could bring to anyone. For me personally, being this way has made it much, much more difficult to relate to an idea (i.e. God) that is, ultimately, unknowable, incredibly abstract, and requires a "leap of faith" to accept. My mind just doesn't work that way and, as I understand it, the minds of the majority of 'Aspies' don't either.
God's strengths are shown in our weaknesses. Even if God seems very distant to you, you are one of His creations. No matter the aspie, they have strength in God Even people who seem to be very lost in their faults can come to God, look at Paul.

I'm a Christian, Seventh-day Adventist by practice. I very much enjoy the closeness of Elizabethtown SDA Church. They accept me as I am & I love everyone there. Theye know I have sound sensitivity and try to accommodate as best they can.

when you are christian,you can celebrate any holiday you choose,except halloween !

First off,
I strongly disagree with Jared Mills, post. I am a devout Christian yet I believe in the supernatural realm. Only because of my experiences of living in a Haunted home when I was a child/teenager. I include this because I was a Christian then as I am now. We can be Christian but still be mindful of the supernatural/paranormal. SO, with that being said, do I celebrate Halloween? Sure, I listen to spooky music and watch those shows on the tv. But do I believe in it? I don't know. Anyways, back to the Original posters question....I am a Reformed Christian and practice the faith on a daily basis. Christ and me know each other very well.To be mindful of the paranormal/supernatural does not hinder my Christian faith. In fact, it expands it and reassures me that Christ has the ultimate power over those things. If I was ranting, I apologize.

New Threads

Top Bottom