• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christianity and Aspergers

I find that I am lacking the emotion of love and that the bible teaches this to an extent and gives me morals and self worth.

I couldn't live my life without God's help. Being in church has always given me a sense of comfort. God has taken my weakness and used it for good. I go out as a layspeaker and fill in for pastors at different churches. I feel like it is my calling even though public speaking is the last thing I thought I would be doing. Since public speaking is a weakness I have a tendancy to overprepare and I actually get a lot of compliments on my preaching. I have never been to seminary, I have only had layspeaker training classes so my sermons tend to come from the heart. I love doing it but am very nervous right before I go up in front of churches.

There is one church I go to regularly to preach and attend bible study and there are several other aspies there. The people there are like family and accept me as one of their own.

I would definitely say being a Christian has helped me have peace and purpose.

It is a local lake park where I go on Sunday morning while family members go to the church house. Unknown to them, I go there to worship and recharge. I grew up in church but it was always a lonely place for me.

This park is a place where I can step off the merry-go-round of the world around me. It is a beautiful spot with a lake surrounded by trees with some ducks, squirrels, and geese as its residents. It has fishing piers and a decorative water fountain in the middle of the lake. I look forward to these visits where I can take a long walk and reflect upon whatever comes to mind while being amidst God’s creation.

I get a good bargain by going to my recharging place. Three for one. My physical body gets exercise, my mental gets some of the cobwebs cleared in my brain, and my spiritual gets prayer time and meditation.
My "church" used to be my woodworking/antique refinishing room/shop. I lost that when we moved. Now, it is more my weightbench, or the outside, when I can. I can be having the crappiest day, and go outside, and it will make it better - not take it away, but make it better, at least.

The last congregation I attended had at least two, maybe three people on the spectrum. Nobody seemed to know that (except maybe those on the spectrum). I didn't find that one guy in particular, who was part of the music team, was well-tolerated or appreciated. In addition, someone said to me that one of the elders had said that people with ADHD were possible demon possessed. You have to pick your congregation wisely, don't you? So sad. If I could do anything to promote the understanding of autism, I'd probably start at the church level.
":)
I agree with you. Here is a question that I would ask people who think like that. "How can the Holy Spirit and the devil both live inside me?" Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is a sin to be autistic or if you are autistic, you have a demon inside you.

"How can the Holy Spirit and the devil both live inside me?"
That's a whole 'nother can of worms...
can-of-worms.gif
As I have stated elsewhere, I do not believe that basic autism is demonic at its root, but King Saul is an archetype of someone who can have both the Anointing and be troubled by demons, at the same time (and being autistic is not a prophylactic for that condition).

Even Balaam knew God very well, but wasn't loyal to Him.

Too many people misinterpret and twist things from the bible. Whoever made up that malarkey about having a demon doesn't know squat about autism or ADHD.

I agree with you. Here is a question that I would ask people who think like that. "How can the Holy Spirit and the devil both live inside me?" Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is a sin to be autistic or if you are autistic, you have a demon inside you.

The light shineth in the darkness, but the darkness comprehend it not?

Does anyone know If every person on earth has autism in them to a degree, not matter what? Or are there people with no iota of autism traits at all?

I feel I have God inside me at the moment, with no iota of the devil. But deep down through out my life, I've felt both the light and darkness. The bible, really does teach love. I think I am finally understanding the word and interpreting it correctly, unlike before. I also was diagnose with schizo-affective disorder, and adhd, along with depression and anxiety, agoraphobia etc etc. I feel I can cope with things now and find that God really is the teacher of emotions. Now if I can only get over my fear of social situations, I think I would honestly attempt to go to scool or work, or even attend a church.

Too many people misinterpret and twist things from the bible. Whoever made up that malarkey about having a demon doesn't know squat about autism or ADHD.
The problem is that when we do get demons, we wear them differently than NTs do. Some haven't gotten that memo, yet.

I have received deliverance AND I'm still an Aspie. I highly recommend it where it is prescribed (for things like depression, anxiety and panic attacks). It felt like a weight was lifted off of me.

My friend says I need an exorcism. I call that extreme and I am insulted a little because I know what I really need is the holy ghost. I don't believe I have a demon inside me, or mybe i do? but i do believe in the devil and good and evil. I also believe there are spirits controling my depression and anxiety along with my delusions and halusionations. Docs that diagnose me with schizo-affective disorder I believe are wrong and I also believe they are wrong with my adhd. But what I do have is aspergers with a mild form of psychosis. I believe that I'm on the far end of the spectrum with delusional thinking, but that is my opinion and deep down i would like to have atleast an average IQ. Wisdom is now what i am in search for, because I feel I have enough intelligence. With wisdom from the Lord i feel would solve alot of m antisocial problems and provide me with feelings which in turn would increase the likelyhood of more expressive emotion. i know the devil can control synapsis in the brain, which are the circuits that send signals through out the brain and are responible for alot of things like emotions and thinking and behavior. with God in control i feel he would do a better job at the synapses which imo can be altered and find work arounds. kind of like a person that had a stroke and loses the ability to fully control say his left side of his body, instead the signals would be altered and stronger in other areas of the brain and the brain would find work arounds to an almost full recovery. If this is possible for stroke victims, than i do not see why people with aspergers couldn't have the ability to alter their synapse so that emotions of love for example are wired correctly together so they can feel it like a neural-typical person. imo neurons that fire a certain way and take certain paths should then wire together to fire together type of thing. atleast that is what I read and feel in my heart of hearts.

I use to believe in the ability to fake it until you make it. Now i believe that to be impossible with God. Maybe it works on the devil? And works in different situations like cognitive behaviioral therapy? See even thou I am A Christian that has aspergers, i still believe in science and also believe in a form of karma for a lack of a better word. Also the ying and yang imo sums up good and evil in a good way. I'm an unusual Chritian and that is my opinion i recognise God and interpret him my way. some may say I am an lukewarm and not hot or cold Chritian or refer to me as a goat instead of a sheep. but thats my walk with the Lord and no one can do my push ups for me that is something I will have to do on my own. I don't know sometimes if i know God or if I know of him?

Last edited:
I am the biggest contructive critical analysis you will ever meet. Adhd, lol @ my psychologist. He thinks I'm disabled in in the head. I actually feel sorry for him, slightly, at the same time. Just don't mind me, I'm practicing my grammar, I would like to attend school and maybe study for several years, then go to university if I can learn English enough and control my behavior, emotions and thoughts.

If you met me. I wouldn't speak a word to you. I am actually a mute by choice. People and myself, think that I'm stupid or mentally challenged. I am not stupid. I am a child of the upmost high God, the author and finisher and I am a child of him. I actually have royalty in my blood.

Oh no I am delusional, look me up and throw away they key. I some times can study for over 12 hours a day and have been doing it off and on for decades. But I am still not ready something is missing and that is the ability to do a thesis. I hope that some day God will provide me with that blessing.

Last edited:
My Christian faith is my way of life. Having AS does not affect that faith nor does my being a Christian affect my AS. I've not prayed for a "cure" per se, but rather for the grace to overcome or live with the effects of the AS. The only time having AS has been an issue where my faith is concerned is in the corporate practice, which I have since found a way to overcome. I am now involved in a house church with those of like-minded beliefs that know about my AS, understand me, and do not place man-made demands upon me that are outside of the biblical precepts that we follow.

I need to find a church where there are very few people and that understand mental disorders and how to over come them. I know how, but I need people to practice with. Wish I could be born again, litterally. I feel that where 2 are gathered that can be a church.

Does anyone practice this and have you found that it helps? do you accept autism or do you fight it, to be healed from it?

I accept my autism but try to become better, I am never satisfied with my current self, I must do better, I must grow, I must improve, I must be better than I was yesterday.

‘Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.’ ~ Albert Einstein.

For religion, I am Christian and I see my Asperger's as a gift from God.

For a lot of Aspies there are good as well as bad aspects. So often the possibilities are there. But its all a pile of crap unless your hearts in the right place. For me Christianity is the light I try to follow to know what I must do to get the heart right.

I was Christened, but not including Weddings, Christenings and Funerals I've been to Church about 4 times in 42 years if that.

I'm a christian, deeply believe the Bible is the ultimate source of Truth. But I don't go to church anymore. I had no inkling I could have Aspergers, I just always had a serious problem being around people, and every church I went to expected me to go and do this or do that in a group. I couldn't. I'm not sure, still, if it's Aspergers or serious social phobia and anxiety, but when I realized Aspergers could be the root of the social issues I had, it was like a light bulb moment. Actually, the depression lifted as well.

I've been told I have no faith, needed deliverance, was living in sin, and all that. It can cause a lot of harm to tell people that, especially when it's not true, and they are trying their best to live as they should and understand.

I think the major thing, it's to want Truth, and realize it is Jesus who is Truth. I went for a few years, but there were always those that obviously weren't there for the right reasons. That baffled and confused me.

I also find many contradictions (especially in the particular branch I was involved) in much of what is being taught these days, so I haven't found another church. I long for one that is like family, but always felt like a stranger, regardless of the size or type it was. Another 'trait' I found linked to Aspergers.

I guess I lack that gene (or whatever it is) that makes me feel a part of the "herd", or "flock", or family, cause I've never felt a part of any group. In my mind, that is very foreign to the whole biblical concept of "all God's children" belonging to a group, or the "church". Although, now, after learning much more of the Bible, I see that not all who claim it, are actually a part of it. So that helps understand it better.

I've had a few troubles grasping the concept of faith, and some other things, but basically, at the very core of me, I "know" the word is truth, nothing can convince me otherwise, and regardless of any troubles I may have, I know God will bring me through, help me to understand, and forgive me of my mistakes, which I guess is "faith". He has always been there, helped me, taken care of my family and I in every situation.

I wouldn't be here, if it weren't for the Lord, I would have killed myself long ago. And another thing, He will lead me to Truth, so I have less fear now, that i understand it better, of getting something wrong. Getting it wrong terrifies me, so I pray that He will lead me in that, always.

New Threads

Top Bottom