• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christianity and Aspergers

Clintos

Does anyone practice this and have you found that it helps? do you accept autism or do you fight it, to be healed from it?

Hi Clintos im a Christian and i have accepted my autism is a part of me 6 years ago and maybe before that. I wonder if i knew i had autism before i knew about it ? and i don't go to a church but i try and live by the ten commandments and i try to be a good person and live a good life. I wasn't raised in a church from a early age.

As I see it, this thread is asking whether individuals who
are practicing Christians find that it helps in their life experience with
autism.

This thread should not devolve into a debate regarding the pros or
cons of Christianity or religion in general. If that happens, the
thread will be closed.

That's like me I am not super religious and I obey the commandments and try not to sin. I read the bible, but slowly. it seem to have alot of answers in there but I am still at fear to go to church and bible study

A guy named Joe finds himself in dire trouble. His business has gone bust and he's in serious financial trouble. He's so desperate that he decides to ask God for help.

He begins to pray... "God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lotto."

Lotto night comes and somebody else wins it.

Joe again prays... "God, please let me win the lotto! I've lost my business, my house and I'm going to lose my car as well".

Lotto night comes and Joe still has no luck.

Once again, he prays... "My God, why have you forsaken me?? I've lost my business, my house, and my car. My wife and children are starving. I don't often ask you for help and I have always been a good servant to you. PLEASE just let me win the lotto this one time so I can get my life back in order."

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open and Joe is confronted by the voice of God Himself:

"Joe, meet Me halfway on this. Buy a ticket."

That's like me I am not super religious and I obey the commandments and try not to sin. I read the bible, but slowly. it seem to have alot of answers in there but I am still at fear to go to church and bible study
I am religious and its not a fear for me to go to a church and bible study.

A guy named Joe finds himself in dire trouble. His business has gone bust and he's in serious financial trouble. He's so desperate that he decides to ask God for help.

He begins to pray... "God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lotto."

Lotto night comes and somebody else wins it.

Joe again prays... "God, please let me win the lotto! I've lost my business, my house and I'm going to lose my car as well".

Lotto night comes and Joe still has no luck.

Once again, he prays... "My God, why have you forsaken me?? I've lost my business, my house, and my car. My wife and children are starving. I don't often ask you for help and I have always been a good servant to you. PLEASE just let me win the lotto this one time so I can get my life back in order."

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open and Joe is confronted by the voice of God Himself:

"Joe, meet Me halfway on this. Buy a ticket."

Lol

I do not want to talk about if God exists, but I want to talk about what he has done for you with Autism or if He has helped you accept your diagnoses. and if we should fight it like we would diabetes?

ac75 civil.png

Does anyone practice this and have you found that it helps? do you accept autism or do you fight it, to be healed from it?

It depends some see mental problems as spiritual problem. That the soul/spirit is the same as the mind. I disagree, I believe the soul/spirit is separate from the physical mind.

Would you seek professional help if your body wasn't working properly? Why not your brain?

I don't fear Church, but I have anxiety at church, just as I do in any group of people. There are no thoughts associated with my anxiety. Its more instinctual. It just happens.

I would rather them know the truth than be guessing whats up with me. And getting paranoid.

These are only my thoughts.

Do you tell them you have Autism? I told them and now I fear going back. even thou I feel they are ok with it.

I have told the ones, who I care a little about what they think of me. In the end there is only one who I care what they think of me.

Sometimes it can be hard to be in church if you
want to sit curled up in a ball and cover your ears.
People think there is something wrong with that.

But running and jumping are ok, so why not
sometimes retreat, if that is the way it's going?

I am talking about churches I have been in.
And each of the descriptions applies to my
actions.

I attend church every Sunday. here's what I do. I only come when the sermon starts, I avoid coming to the music/P&W part because it gets too loud and they do a lot of standing up. I also sit in the far back and next to the exit in case I have a panic attack. I avoid interacting as much as possible and I like to be as discrete/low profile as I possibly can be.

I

I am what most people would call a Christian (although, my beliefs differ starkly from Christianity; I believe in the work of saving grace through Jesus, God's son, but I also adhere to biblical Torah observance).

I believe that praying for healing from something like diabetes is like this: if you can manage your diabetes with diet and exercise (type II if it's not gone too far as opposed to Type I, which you're born with), then I'd pray for God to help me eat well and make healthy decisions. If it's a diabetes that I can't change (Type I or too-far-gone Type II), then I'd pray that I do His will as a person with diabetes, still making good healthy choices, treating my body as a temple.

God can do anything He chooses to do. That being said, something like diabetes and other disease, happens. Sin came into the world and now bad things happen. Sometimes God's will allows us to develop a dependence on Him in ways that may include disease in our lives. Paul had some sort of "thorn in the flesh."

I haven't been formally diagnosed yet, with high functioning autism but I have my first appointment tomorrow and I fully expect to get the diagnosis. When I first found a name for the issues I have had my entire life, I was relieved. I've always been spunky, quirky, sassy, and on the smarter side. I don't think I would trade that for all the normalcy in the world. I am a decent writer, one that ordinary people think is pretty spectacular and that's nice. I love working with clay and have an online shop that allows me to express myself and gives me an outlet for creativity. I am very creative.

I am also highly dependent on the love and care of others. I've been so "rude" to others my entire life, which (now that I see myself in a different light) helps me to understand other people when they are not at their best. When you've been forgiven much, you therefore extend forgiveness to others to the best of your ability. This is biblical and common sense!

For me, when my heart changed, I wanted to start being a better person. That's what led me to see that I have been very selfish and self-centered. I've been working on this for about seven or eight years. In fact, the realization that I've been selfish is what brought me to see that I have more of an issue with this than most people and brought me to see that I most likely am autistic.

So, no, I'd never pray for this to go away. In the bad times (don't we all have them?), I know that I just have to get through the stretch of depressions/inertia/mind-numbness/sadness/etc. and that soon it'll be better. Knowing that my brain has a bit of a glitch is humbling to me and humility is the first step in attaining wisdom, in my humble opinion.
:)

If I didn't have Asperger's, I'd just be an ordinary person. Who would want that?
:)

I accept that I am (at least most likely am) on the spectrum. I don't have a formal diagnosis. Whatever goals you have, religious or not, I think you just strive towards them and manage your life and goals the best you can as a person on the spectrum. I wouldn't focus on "curing" the autism, but trying to live out a Christian life while on the spectrum. No different from the other people who all have their own issues to consider while trying to live out a Christian life. I think it would help to attend a church where there already are people on the spectrum. The churches I have attended happen to have a few kids and/or adults who are on the spectrum, so there are people who understand that sensory issues can happen - otherwise, they kind of just mind their own business anyway. Our pastor has a grandchild with autism. I knew a woman who went to a different church where they tried to "heal" her special needs kids and really traumatized them. I have found the stillest part of the church to occupy and close my eyes when there's too much going on. I always feel free to step out if I should need to, though I rarely have. I don't feel my experience is in any way lesser than anyone else's.

Last edited:
I know some people like myself have a co-morbid condition that I have fear of being in public and having people find out about me.
I truly believe that God doesn't require us to do things that are impossible for us. Being part of a congregation is part of growing and helping other people grow. But I don't go to a congregation because I don't have one nearby that adheres to the same beliefs so my husband and I participate in a congregation that live streams. They offer us a way to participate by chat, which is not the best but it's what we have. Staying at home these days works for me because I find it to be stressful to be out in people. If there were a viable congregation for us to attend, we'd attend.

New Threads

Top Bottom