• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

193213901_344183120405183_8663770353063641112_n.jpg

Down the street, in the middle of the suburbs, our neighbor has set up a little farm behind his house. He sells produce and even has free range hens. He has a ditch he set up around the property with water in it to keep them from going in the street. It's so neat to see them pop through the picket fence and eat bugs in the flower garden and in the grass.

Just imagine your average mid century ranch style house on a corner lot in the suburbs, and that's his farm!

Some questions about fresh eggs:

My friend raises chickens and kindly brought me 3 dozen fresh, unwashed eggs.
I eat a lot of eggs but this is more than I will finish in a week.

Is it better to wash the poo off and then refrigerate some of them? Or leave then on the counter until I use them?

I’ve been washing the really dirty ones just before using, otherwise I don’t bother washing.

Some questions about fresh eggs:

My friend raises chickens and kindly brought me 3 dozen fresh, unwashed eggs.
I eat a lot of eggs but this is more than I will finish in a week.

Is it better to wash the poo off and then refrigerate some of them? Or leave then on the counter until I use them?

I’ve been washing the really dirty ones just before using, otherwise I don’t bother washing.

Yes, wash the poo off and refrigerate the eggs. A wet paper towel with mild soap works best for us and then a rinse.

@watersprite

Eggs may be refrigerated three to five weeks from the day they are placed in the refrigerator. The "Sell-By" date will usually expire during that length of time, but the eggs will be perfectly safe to use. Always purchase eggs before the "Sell-By" or EXP (expiration) date on the carton. To keep them safe, take eggs straight home and store them immediately in the refrigerator set at 40 °F or slightly below. Leave them in their carton and place them in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door. After hard cooking, eggs can be stored a week in the refrigerator.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/How-long-can-you-store-eggs-in-the-refrigerator

@Magna thank you, will do.

@tree thank you
These eggs were given to me by the friend who has chickens, so no ‘best by date’ on the cartons. They were likely gathered 9 days ago.

The 'best buy' date...just consider that a suggestion for
how long to keep eggs. Have you ever made Tea Eggs?
(if you're looking for a way to use a dozen....)

Tea egg - Wikipedia
Orange peel is nice in them.

@Magna thank you, will do.

@tree thank you
These eggs were given to me by the friend who has chickens, so no ‘best by date’ on the cartons. They were likely gathered 9 days ago.
If they are farm raised eggs and not washed you can keep them for about 45 days unrfrigerated. Be sure to turn them once a week to keep the yolk centered. Do not wash the eggs! The hen coats the eggs with a slime that protects against bacteria.

I used to have an aracuna hen that crowed. She was also hostile to anyone but me. She liked to sit in my lap and be petted. She also laid beautiful green eggs. She was the smartest hen of the flock.

I must make this! Cheese and eggs are my favorite foods. I can imagine cheese made with eggs would be yummy! I wonder how it would taste with dried apricots pieces in it?

My recipe used honey and vanilla, with
raisins or currants optional.

Sort a solid custard.
It slices.

New Threads

Top Bottom