• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hens look so funny when panicked and they try to run away at full speed. Especially the hens with the excessive feathering near the legs. They appear as if they're wearing pants.

Hens look so funny when panicked and they try to run away at full speed. Especially the hens with the excessive feathering near the legs. They appear as if they're wearing pants.

They remind me of pajamas :D

Every time I toss tomatoes or berries into the chicken yard, they go crazy - chasing the one who gets a cherry tomato or a blackberry in its beak while ignoring all the other tomatoes and berries on the ground. They aren't very smart, LOL. :p

upload_2020-9-23_10-39-12.png

Does anyone know how to keep the chickens laying eggs during the dark winter months? My 6 hens are producing only 2 or 3 eggs per day now. They usually lay 5 or 6 eggs per day during summer.

Does anyone know how to keep the chickens laying eggs during the dark winter months? My 6 hens are producing only 2 or 3 eggs per day now. They usually lay 5 or 6 eggs per day during summer.

You could try using light on them to regulate their cycle.

Supplemental Lighting in the Chicken Coop | The Prairie Homestead
https://hort.purdue.edu/tristate_organic/poultry_2007/Light Management.pdf

Don't overdo it, though.
Woman down the road figured that if a certain number of hours stimulated the
chickens to lay eggs, then keeping the lights on 24/7 would really do the job.
Poor birds were frantic and cranky, pecking each other. There is a limit to how
much light they can tolerate.

You could try using light on them to regulate their cycle.

Supplemental Lighting in the Chicken Coop | The Prairie Homestead
https://hort.purdue.edu/tristate_organic/poultry_2007/Light Management.pdf

Don't overdo it, though.
Woman down the road figured that if a certain number of hours stimulated the
chickens to lay eggs, then keeping the lights on 24/7 would really do the job.
Poor birds were frantic and cranky, pecking each other. There is a limit to how
much light they can tolerate.

Thanks, @tree. I'll put a timer on the light so it will automatically turn on and off are set times.

I watched a cooking show on PBS the other day about Jewish food and how to make matzo balls. They said the best matzo balls are made with the fat (schmaltz) from "spent chickens". Spent chickens are old laying hens who get really fat and don't lay good eggs anymore.

We have always just let our old hens retire from laying and become fat old pets. Eventually they die.

Has anyone here ever harvested and cooked an old hen like that? I'm not opposed to trying it if hubby will kill the chicken. I can't handle doing that.

We have an addition of 26 new members to our family. The picture is red because they're getting warmth from a red heat lamp.

IMG-0607-Copy.jpg

The two my aunt brought back from visiting relatives
in Tennessee. They hatched in November, 2020. She
is raising them indoors, so far.

upload_2021-1-22_12-9-15.png

We have a heat lamp in the chicken house on a timer to gives an extra four hours per day of light. Because our climate is so mild, compared with northern places like Canada and Minnesota, and the chickens are wearing down jackets, we really don't have to worry about the cold. It snowed here a little bit a couple of weeks ago and the chickens were afraid to go outside. It was their first time to experience snow. LOL. My cats didn't like it either. But it melted within 24 hours.

The Art of Doing Stuff, and short videoes of a person giving different types of food to her chickens to see if they like it.

Will they eat it? Archives | The Art of Doing Stuff

I wonder where she got the live mealworms. My chickens love the dried worms, tomatoes, cucumbers but not pickles, and if she had called the cooked cornmeal "polenta" instead of cornmeal mush, then I bet the Italian chickens would eat it.

New Threads

Top Bottom