• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

chicken_doctor_people_soup_1172985.jpg

The evil chicken ("pollo maligno")
is an evil spirit of the forest :confused:
in the form of a bird that haunts the hunters,
attracting them to the deepest forest
in order to devour them. o_O

Colombian folklore - Wikipedia

When I was first diagnosed with schizo in 2012 and was trying different meds, there was a period when the imaginary voices were ranting about "devil chickens". If you cut them open they have red meat instead of white. :confused::po_O

I did some reading up on the cockatrice, which is a mythical creature with the head of a rooster and a body and wings like a small dragon or a serpent. It was once one the most feared animals in medieval times because people believed it could turn you you to stone or kill you with its eyes because they were so filled with pure hate and evil. The cockatrice's eyes were also supposed to be able to split through solid stone or turn a lush, green field into a wasteland. Two of the few things that could kill a cockatrice was a weasel or the sound of a rooster crowing. So people would carry a live rooster in a cage with them when out traveling, hoping it would protect them.

I also read that a cockatrice egg had to be sat on for seven years by a toad, and then the toad would be eaten by the cockatrice as soon as it hatched. I have to wonder how people got such crazy ideas that a creature like that existed back then.:emojiconfused:

Baby Talk
Pleasure peep - A soft, irregular chirp that says “I’m here and all is well.”

Pleasure trill - A soft warbling sound often used when settling down for a nap that says “Life is good.”

Distress peep - A loud, sharp tweet that says “I’m so miserable!” Usually due to being hot, cold or hungry.

Panic peep - Loud and insistent peep that says “Help me!”

Fear trill - Loud, sharp repeated sound that says “Don’t hurt me!”

Startled peep - Sharp chirp that sounds as startled as it is meant to be. It says “Whoa!”

Mom talk
Cluck - Short, low-pitched and repetitive sounds that says “Stay close.”

Food call - Short, high-pitched and staccato tuck-tuck-tuck that says “Come get the food I just found!”

Hush sound - Soft, vibrating errrr that sends chicks running for mom’s feathers or flattening silently to the ground. It says “Stay put, there’s danger.”

Rooster talk
Food call - An excited, rapid tuck-tuck-tuck that says “I found food!”

Courtship croon - A low rumbly sound made as the rooster circles the hen while flicking a wing on the ground. It says “Nice feathers.”

Flying object alert - A chirruping sound made as the rooster looks skyward. It says “There’s something up there, but I think we’re ok.”

Startled note - A short squawk with the intensity, volume and repetitiveness determined by how startled the rooster is. It says “What was that?”

Crowing - No explanation needed. It says “I’m the boss here.”

4 additional categories at>>
26 Sounds that Chickens Make and What they Mean - Flip Flop Ranch

My mother gave me money one year, near Thanksgiving, and
said it wasn't enough for a turkey, but maybe a couple of
Cornish hens.

I don't remember what I did get. It wasn't Cornish hens.
That seemed too slight a yield for the price and, although I enjoyed
eating them at home & when we went to restaurants, when I
was a child, the idea of supporting the death of such small birds
didn't appeal to me at the time she gave me the money.

Today it finally occurred to me to look up how they got the name.
Cornish game hen - Wikipedia
The Cornish Game Hen Is a Tiny Liar

"The Cornish game hen was first bred, according to legend, by Tea Makowsky, who fled the Nazis and settled in Connecticut... After a fire destroyed her farm in 1949, Makowsky began cross-breeding chickens to try to come up with a bird that matures quickly, with a special eye towards the breast meat."

"The USDA currently has a very minimal definition of the Cornish game hen; any chicken between one and two pounds in weight, slaughtered at fewer than five weeks of age, and of either sex can be labeled as a Cornish game hen."

How do eggs protect us from flu?

Each year up to 650,000 people die around the world from flu and five million become severely ill, according to the World Health Organization.

Liverpool is home to the UK’s biggest flu vaccine manufacturing site, where 100 million doses are made using hen eggs.

Seqirus provides vaccines to countries as far afield as Australia and New Zealand.

Lesley Day explains how eggs are used to protect people against flu.

How do eggs protect us from flu?

I opened the chicken coop door yesterday.
Four chickens came out, pecked avidly at dark stuff that has fallen on the snow.
Pieces of hemlock cone.
Pecked at snow, as if that hasn't been what they've had for
all winter now....

I scoop it up and dump it in.
One advantage to that is, no splashing.
Can't get comb or wattles freezing from splashing water if there is no water.

They were out for about five minutes.
I tossed a handful of corn in.
They experienced same situation I do with walking in snow.

Inconsistent compactness/texture of the snow.
So take one step, no sinking.
Other foot? SURPRISE. Chicken (or me) up to its butt on that side.

They went back in.
I closed the door.

It was so warm the past 3 days and nights, the door wasn't
frozen down. High of 45 during the day.

22ºF today.

I opened the chicken coop door yesterday.
Four chickens came out, pecked avidly at dark stuff that has fallen on the snow.
Pieces of hemlock cone.
Pecked at snow, as if that hasn't been what they've had for
all winter now....

I scoop it up and dump it in.
One advantage to that is, no splashing.
Can't get comb or wattles freezing from splashing water if there is no water.

They were out for about five minutes.
I tossed a handful of corn in.
They experienced same situation I do with walking in snow.

Inconsistent compactness/texture of the snow.
So take one step, no sinking.
Other foot? SURPRISE. Chicken (or me) up to its butt on that side.

They went back in.
I closed the door.

It was so warm the past 3 days and nights, the door wasn't
frozen down. High of 45 during the day.

22ºF today.

We use a heat lamp in the chicken house during really cold weather to prevent their water from freezing and to protect their combs and feet from freezing. Right now, their yard is solid mud from all the rain we've had but they can go under the hen house where it is dry and take their dust baths.

My hen pals.

Just took this minutes ago.
I like to talk to them & listen to their various clucks.

These two had a disagreement this morning judging by all the loud chicken talk I heard through my window.
But they're over it I guess.

IMG_20200320_173143.jpg

I miss having chickens. I've got a picture of one of my favourite roosters somewhere that I'll have to find and post here.

This was Mr. T. Because of his gold ruff, the way his comb and puffy feathers made it look like he had a fro-hawk, and because he was one half to one third the size of my other roosters but would regularly boss them around.

Attachments

• mrT.jpg
    mrT.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 176

New Threads

Top Bottom