• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Came out To New NT Friend as Autistic, Says he Doesn't Think of me Any Differently!

I hate to be picky, but you don't "come out" as Autistic, it's not like you're gay or anything.

Plenty of people "come out" as autistic. When you tell someone of your autism it's a revelation, just the same as telling someone you are gay. The autistic closet is just as dark as any other.

that's awesome. More people should be that way. I'm happy for you!

I haven't told a whole lot of people, just my very closest friends, but one friend I wasn't quite as close with I told, and not only did she accept it, she used it as a positive; "it's no wonder you're brilliant!" Heh. If only everyone was so supportive, the world would be a much better place.

have you guys met in person? aspies tend to do a lot better socially online. in person is where things get difficult.

also, usually people don't understand or know anything about ASD and won't see the downsides right off the bat. it takes a bit of time for those ASD social habits to bear themselves out. that's when the rubber meats the road.

it's still good that you made a connection regardless. it never hurts to get yourself out there and try.

have you guys met in person? aspies tend to do a lot better socially online. in person is where things get difficult.

also, usually people don't understand or know anything about ASD and won't see the downsides right off the bat. it takes a bit of time for those ASD social habits to bear themselves out. that's when the rubber meats the road.

it's still good that you made a connection regardless. it never hurts to get yourself out there and try.
We haven't but we would both like to. He only lives about 6 miles away from me, so it shouldn't be a problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom