• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bridges

Northeast of me is the Mighty Mac, the Mackinac ("Mack-i-naw") Bridge. It has longest suspension bridge between anchorages in the Western Hemisphere spanning the strait between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
images(10).jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, although driving on bridges gives me anxiety lol.

I drive over the Sagamore Bridge a couple of times a week…

This is the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, Øresund Bridge. Made famous in a crime series called Bron (The Bridge). Which the Americans stole and remade. :) The main character in the original Swedish/Danish version of that series, police investigator Saga Norén, actually have Asperger syndrome.

1657665363486.png

1657665204290.png

Last edited:
@Gerald Wilgus I heard stories about the Mackinac Bridge: How drivers freeze when crossing it. I know many people, including myself, who are afraid to use the bridge. I can’t picture myself driving over a metal grate where I can see the water below me:
403453-L.jpg

I would like to go to the Upper Peninsula some day, so I am going to have to cross it at some point. Here’s an old photo (below, taken by the EPA). I like how it depicts the vast surrounding waterways of the Great Lakes. It makes the behemoth bridge look small:
10BA968D-20FC-454B-B428-898704ABE33E.jpeg

@Rodafina Great topic. All of these bridges are spectacular. A beautiful collection of photos to gaze at and reflect on. Majestic, artistic, massive and personal.

@Gerald Wilgus I heard stories about the Mackinac Bridge: How drivers freeze when crossing it. I know many people, including myself, who are afraid to use the bridge. I can’t picture myself driving over a metal grate where I can see the water below me:
View attachment 81639
I would like to go to the Upper Peninsula some day, so I am going to have to cross it at some point. Here’s an old photo (below, taken by the EPA). I like how it depicts the vast surrounding waterways of the Great Lakes. It makes the behemoth bridge look small:
View attachment 81641
Because of winds and the long suspended section, those steel grates keep the bridge intact. There are times, usually once a year, when hazardous conditions can lead to its closure. Close to the south end is restored Fort Michilimackinac. The original fort was disassembled and moved across the ice in winter to Mackinac Island at the start of the War of 1812.

Is that a bridge-tunnel complex?

No.

It is a magical dark road that will take you anywhere you want if you are a brave enough to cross the bridge!

Of course, I’m just being silly; the photo has been altered. The bridge goes onto a road which curves around quite sharply, into the shadows. I played with the light to make it look old-fashioned. It’s actually a recent photo and when one drives over this bridge, it clicks and clacks underneath your wheels. It’s called a lenticular truss.

View attachment 81639
View attachment 81641
If you have not yet experienced; Tahquamenon Falls, or the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, or The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum located at the Whitefish Point Light Station, those alone would warrant getting yourself in a relaxed state of mind to cross the Mackinac Bridge. At the north end is Straits State Park that has a pullout directly aligned with the suspension span for a spectacular view! St. Ignace has a few things in its favor, besides catching the Mackinac Island ferries, there is the Museum of Ojibwa Culture. And Jose's Cantina is better than it has to be in a tourist area. La Cocina es muy sabaroso.

This is a bridge on something called Atlantic Ocean Road. It looks like they were going left, then someone looked at the drawings half way through it and said "oh crap, guys, we're supposed to go to the right!". I have driven this road a few times, it's a stunning road with many bridges. When the weather is bad, you have the Atlantic ocean raging all around you and over you.

bru.jpg

bru2.jpg

bru3.jpg

This is a bridge on something called Atlantic Ocean Road. It looks like they were going left, then someone looked at the drawings half way through it and said "oh crap, guys, we're supposed to go to the right!". I have driven this road a few times, it's a stunning road with many bridges. When the weather is bad, you have the Atlantic ocean raging all around you and over you.

View attachment 81733
View attachment 81734

View attachment 81735
Wow it looks like a track from Mario kart

This is the Hardanger bridge, it's crossing the Hardanger fjord. It's the longest suspension bridge in Norway, 1380 meters / 4500 feet.

bru.jpg

bru2.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom