• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bridges

Cape Cod Canal railway Bridge in Massachusetts, USA. It still has functioning tracks and goes up and down several times a day. You can buy a fancy ticket and get a fancy meal on a fancy train that crosses the bridge. It has also been the main source of trash removal from the area of Massachusetts called Cape Cod, disconnected from the rest of the state by a canal.
1664933988129.jpeg

Or for those who prefer a bit of evil editing…

1664933825111.jpeg

Cape Cod Canal railway Bridge in Massachusetts, USA. It still has functioning tracks and goes up and down several times a day. You can buy a fancy ticket and get a fancy meal on a fancy train that crosses the bridge. It has also been the main source of trash removal from the area of Massachusetts called Cape Cod, disconnected from the rest of the state by a canal.
View attachment 86252

Or for those who prefer a bit of evil editing…

View attachment 86251
Fabulous vertical lift. What I remember of Cape Cod are the tasty lobster rolls. I have not had their equal in the US, but Burger and Lobster in London came close.

One of the multiple examples of "ponte del Diavolo", a really huge number for a country with more churches than schools

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_000329.jpg
    IMG_20221028_000329.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 49
Inspired by recent posts about trains and architecture, I am curious what y’all think about bridges.

View attachment 81550
Cape Creek Bridge, Oregon, USA

View attachment 81551
Sagamore Bridge, Cape Cod Canal, USA (in a downpour).

View attachment 81552
Sagamore and Bourne Bridges at opposite ends of the Cape Cod Canal in Massachusetts, USA
I like old masonic stone arch bridges, but also cable-laid and suspension bridges and sometimes iron or steel-arch bridges like that Cape Creek Bridge.

I am very fond of bridges, because their structures are visible, and thus educational. The conditions of the foundations account for some of the variations in design for reasons we can't see. The progress of both materials and computation show, and there's the basic factor that trains need more rigidity, but an awful lot of it comes down to the imagination, or lack of it, with the main engineer.

I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, where steel is the biggest business, and when a major bridge was constructed, it was a very handsome steel strut and arch affair. When it was twinned later, it was done in boring old concrete. See Burlington Bay Skyway.

The only re-photographing a scene I've done was for a bridge that my mother shot near here, but it too had been twinned in the meantime.

Of all the pictures I've taken, this one happens to be my favourite. Can you identify it without the code?

HPIM2833.JPG

Last edited:
I am very fond of bridges, because their structures are visible, and thus educational. The conditions of the foundations account for some of the variations in design for reasons we can't see. The progress of both materials and computation show, and there's the basic factor that trains need more rigidity, but an awful lot of it comes down to the imagination, or lack of it, with the main engineer.

I grew up in Hamilton, Ontario, where steel is the biggest business, and when a major bridge was constructed, it was a very handsome steel strut and arch affair. When it was twinned later, it was done in boring old concrete. See Burlington Bay Skyway.

The only re-photographing a scene I've done was for a bridge that my mother shot near here, but it too had been twinned in the meantime.

Of all the pictures I've taken, this one happens to be my favourite. Can you identify it without the code?

View attachment 87997
The Golden Gate, approaching the Marin headlands. I have spent time working in Emeryville, so know it and the old Bay Bridge. I've enjoyed getting to Sausalito to visit the Corps of Engineers Bay Model. For a suspension bridge, I grew up with the Mackinac Bridge. And while there is a bridge spanning the Detroit river, I would always use the tunnel.

A great book for fans of buildings, trains, and bridges is "Structures" by J.E. Gordon. it reads like a pleasant story book, and painlessly imparts a better feel for engineering than many P.eng grads retain. I'd write a lot more about various bridges, but he has done it better.

I went to Ronda, a village in the northern part of Andalucia, Spain at the beginning of the month, and that town has amazing vistas. It is built at the top of a huge cliff face with two bridges going over a deep ravine which cleaves the town.

IMG_20221203_145111.jpg
IMG_20221203_143902.jpg
IMG_20221203_142502.jpg
IMG_20221203_154736.jpg

The first two pictures are of the "new" bridge which is the main landmark of the town, the second to last is taken from the new bridge while the last one is of the "old" bridge, which is much smaller.

For fun, Ronda:
IMG_20221203_142724.jpg
IMG_20221203_142255.jpg
IMG_20221203_140533.jpg

I went to Ronda, a village in the northern part of Andalucia, Spain at the beginning of the month, and that town has amazing vistas. It is built at the top of a huge cliff face with two bridges going over a deep ravine which cleaves the town.

View attachment 92004View attachment 92005View attachment 92006View attachment 92007
The first two pictures are of the "new" bridge which is the main landmark of the town, the second to last is taken from the new bridge while the last one is of the "old" bridge, which is much smaller.

For fun, Ronda:
View attachment 92008View attachment 92009View attachment 92010
That is so amazingly beautiful!!! And I see we have matching shoes lol

Andy Warhol Bridge, in Pittsburgh. Fun to cross, and I like the architecture around it.

Andy Warhol Bridge (Pittsburgh) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go

30 Amazing Photos of the Warhol Bridge Yarn Bombing | Pittsburgh Magazine

Andy Warhol Bridge into Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Encircle Photos

It's where the three rivers meet, so it's a fun area.

How to make progress for Pittsburgh's Three Rivers | Penn Today

Here's one I have been across. We were walking it and someone on a boat asked Dad and I if we wanted a lift! It was a little disconcerting at the lack of railings on the canal side of it!

The Andy Warhol bridge with link-chain suspension requires a tough steel for the complex load paths around the link pins. This makes them over twice as heavy as high-tensile steel cables, which only need two end connections, which are large, complicated affairs.
The Iron Bridge has rather fanciful engineering, but it isn't all silly. The reason that so many Victorian wheels had S shaped spokes was because iron castings would shrink at different rates in cooling, and sometimes break straight spokes.
Looking at that one goaded me into looking up another bridge that is out of service, at Google Maps

It seems to be the bridge that Thomas Paine, author of "The Rights of Man" designed for the Schuylkill river near Philadelphia. He went to England to order the castings for an arch bridge, and while waiting for them, went to visit his Jacobin friends in Paris, who put him in jail, and nearly guillotined him before the fall of Robespierre. His finances collapsed, and the castings were sold off to bridge the Wear at Sunderland. It was completed in 1796, with a span of 236' and a rise of only 34'.
When Isambard Kingdom Brunel needed some flat arches under a RR track, though, he may have been worried about the effect of vibration on cast iron, and designed brick arches that were widely predicted to be too extreme. After they were done, he eased the wooden centering off an inch, but didn't remove it, leading to much speculation that he was afraid to, until a storm carried it off. They still stand, carrying trains about ten times heavier than Brunel's.

New Threads

Top Bottom