• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Backstory to My Newest D&D Character?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Hello! I'm trying to write figure out how to write my newest, and second, Dungeons and Dragons character. He is a Goliath barbarian named Vimak the Fearless (fun fact: my dad was reading off names in one of the Old Testament Biblical geneaoligies to give me ideas). Vimak is overpowered, btw.

I want to use this character more often. Because of this, I want to create an interesting backstory, as well as personality, ideologies, and appearance.

According to Volo's guide to monsters (which also has player races), Goliaths are normally 7-8 feet tall (they're descended from giants), have no hair, and are muscular and athletic. They also wear upscaled versions of common clothes.

I think Vimak, since he is, in fact, The Fearless, does not wear a shirt. In fact, he doesn't really wear pants, either. Because he is a Goliath, he really doesn't mind the cold at all. A loin cloth and his leather armor covers just barely enough skin to protect his vital organs. In fact, it doesn't cover the lower parts of the torso. Vimak hates uncomfortable, tight spaces. It restricts movement while in the heat of battle too much.

He has a tatoo of a plus-sign like cross, but a curvaceous one with curvy arrows at each end of the cross. Surrounding the cross is a ring. The tattoo is dark blue in order to be visible on his pale grey skin. This'll be explained soon. He has several scars on his body from not only past battles, but also parental abuse.

I know I want his backstory to be something about him being abused by his tribe, even family members, meeting, falling in love with a female human adventurer (named Fae), and then getting married to said adventurer. Then his father kills Fae and nearly kills Vimak, and then Vimak gets rescued by a female Fallen Aasimar named Nala, and receives the tatoo in place of the wound inflicted by Vimak's father.

Not sure how to word that properly in a way that fits into the character sheet.

Last edited:
Also, Vimak loves large, soft cookies and reading about history. He also hates society, which is the reason why he became a barbarian. He hates society because of how they treat some unfairly, since he was abused all his life.

Either I can go with the abuse backstory, or could I just go with being seriously injured when out gathering for his tribe and waking up not remembering anything except his ability to fight.

I just now realized why young people like these dungeon and dragon type games.
Holy moly. I’m impressed.

I just now realized why young people like these dungeon and dragon type games.
Holy moly. I’m impressed.
What do you think is the reason? Am I missing something here?

I want to try Cyberpunk 2027 (the tabletop RPG, not the FPS game) sometime in the future, too.

I never realized so much thought and creativity went into the characters. I’ve never played the games. I guess I just assumed the characters were uninteresting.
I’m impressed with your character.
Edited to add: young people is anyone under 40 years old.

I never realized so much thought and creativity went into the characters. I’ve never played the games. I guess I just assumed the characters were uninteresting.

Even some older folks know of it or play/played it. I remember when it first began in the mid 70's, though I didn't play myself till 1980. I actually had the earlier prototype game rules which Gary Gygax wrote as a special fantasy appendix for medieval wargame rules booklet 'Chainmail' in 1971.

D&D sounds fun. I wish I could play.

I hope you have fun!
If you have Discord, we can get together and play! My sister plays it with that way with friends that are too far away to play with in-person. Don't worry if you don't have a dice set, there is plenty online. Dice sets are also pretty available at your local "geeky stuff" store. It's funny. My sister plays, too, and she DMed for me and a few of my friends during my birthday party. Vimak is actually the character I created for that. It's fun. Maybe she could do the campaign stuff for us.

It's the perfect game if you're the creative type of person. I suggest giving it a try!

If you want to start playing, I suggest telling your DM that you are sensitive to descriptions of blood and gore so the DM's descriptions of injuries aren't too much for you to handle.

I actually have another character that is a human fighter, gunslinger archetype. I named him Max Fred. By the way, gunslinger is actually a homebrew thing. It was created by a member of the Twitch group Critical Roll, which, as the name suggests, is a live stream series about a bunch of nerds playing Dungeons and Dragons.

If you have Discord, we can get together and play! My sister plays it with that way with friends that are too far away to play with in-person. Don't worry if you don't have a dice set, there is plenty online. Dice sets are also pretty available at your local "geeky stuff" store. It's funny. My sister plays, too, and she DMed for me and a few of my friends during my birthday party. Vimak is actually the character I created for that. It's fun. Maybe she could do the campaign stuff for us.

It's the perfect game if you're the creative type of person. I suggest giving it a try!

If you want to start playing, I suggest telling your DM that you are sensitive to descriptions of blood and gore so the DM's descriptions of injuries aren't too much for you to handle.
What's your Discord?

My son plays D&D. I might show this thread to him. He's just now coming to terms that he's a bit Aspier than.he thought he was.
D&D is one of his biggest pleasures in life.

I won't be able to do that until I get back from Michigan next week.
tenor.gif

Something you have to ask yourself is why did your character's father kill your lover and attack your character?
Perhaps she was from an enemy tribe of your people and your father viewed you as a traitor?
Each detail add more possibilities and questions - why where your Tribes enemies?

New Threads

Top Bottom