• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Intellectual Giftedness

Misfate

An isolated cloud in the sky
:geek:How do you do, fellow confidants of AspiesCentral! This thread shall encompass kin of forum affiliates and/or those affiliates themselves to whomever pertains: intellectual ability significantly surpassing average. Also, take care to include, if you are capable, how you and/or your kin were diagnosed and whether you believe it to be nature or nurture induced.
Me? Having Aspergers syndrome, I was pronounced gifted when ameliorating knowledge in grade 2 elementary, aged 7. I believe my gifted intelligence was acquired when I was at the age of 3: I was vaulting aloft from the bedstead of my mother when I abruptly struck my cranium about the corner of her chiffonier.
[EDIT] I have disclosed pages that cover how persona possessing Autism Spectrum Disorders and Intellectual Giftedness differ from those possessing only one:
Autism
Aspergers

Last edited:
I believe my gifted intelligence was acquired when I was at the age of 3: I was vaulting aloft from the bedstead of my mother when I abruptly struck my cranium about the corner of her chiffonier.

I highly doubt that. I mean, I've heard stories of people temporarily speaking another language after a stroke or coma (it's called foreign language syndrome), but a bump on the head like the one you describe really won't do more than cause a concussion. Serious head trauma could damage a person's IQ, but not enhance it.

It's far more likely that you were always gifted.

Errr, ok, I will bite. Your use of language is great. Are you naturally speaking like this or hamming it up slightly? I just can't resist asking, sorry! If it's natural, then please don't be offended by the question. I am just really curious, as it's interesting :)

I won't speak for Soph, of course, but his ornate language reminds me very much of a friend of mine from school. He had an extensive vocabulary too, and he wasn't afraid to use it. But that, among other things, isolated him from our classmates quite a bit . . . his intelligence went mostly unappreciated. He was a little arrogant at times, but he didn't deserve the treatment he received from them.

Sorry---almost got lost in old memories.

Well, I suppose it is more apt being hereditary, though I have unsucceeded in tracing back to kin possessing it as of yet.
Errr, ok, I will bite. Your use of language is great. Are you naturally speaking like this or hamming it up slightly? I just can't resist asking, sorry! If it's natural, then please don't be offended by the question. I am just really curious, as it's interesting :)
My phraseology would be classified as half-and-half; with comprehension pertinent to the majority of my precocious diction, I am quite enraptured in it's distension! So, in lucid eloquence, I have much intrigue in expanse of my wide vocabulary every day.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose it is more apt being hereditary, though I have unsucceeded in tracing back to kin possessing it as of yet.

My phraseology would be classified as half-and-half; with comprehension pertinent to the majority of my precocious diction, I am quite enraptured in it's distension! So, in lucid eloquence, I have much intrigue in expanse of my wide vocabulary every day.

He he, I love it! Keen on the good work! My imagination parallels your magnificent use of language, but I've been beaten down by the world and forced to contain myself in order to "fit it". Still doesnt work too well though! :D

Last night I dreamt of a fractal omniverse sitting with the event horizon of black holes, like the Chinese dolls stretching up and down below our own universe. I tend to have these ideas and eventually it is suddenly announced by some scientists somewhere. I got quite a few hits on things over the years. Ah well, back to my current real world life of living on the breadline!!

He he, I love it! Keen on the good work! My imagination parallels your magnificent use of language, but I've been beaten down by the world and forced to contain myself in order to "fit it". Still doesnt work too well though! :D

Last night I dreamt of a fractal omniverse sitting with the event horizon of black holes, like the Chinese dolls stretching up and down below our own universe. I tend to have these ideas and eventually it is suddenly announced by some scientists somewhere. I got quite a few hits on things over the years. Ah well, back to my current real world life of living on the breadline!!
I have had a concurrent hypothesis too! I have postulated a theory of subatomic omniverse (A) and atexatomic omnivere (B): Infinity A<A<Our Universe<B<Infinity B

I tell my son, who is an Aspie, that simple communication is far effective than verbosity. Intellect and and verbosity have nothing in common... No offense.... Some of the members on this forum have great communication skills and are extremely articulate.

Last edited:
I don't think they're necessarily in a direct relationship, GHA, but they're not really in an inverse relationship either. The word "verbosity" doesn't imply anything except that there are more words present than necessary.

My aforementioned friend was very intelligent. It just so happened that he felt the need to express himself in a verbose way. I don't know why. That's just how he was. I haven't spoken to him in years, so I don't know if he's learned the importance of brevity.

Ereth,
Agree with you 100%.... What I meant was; verbosity is not reflective of intellect.

Ereth,
Agree with you 100%.... What I meant was; verbosity is not reflective of intellect.
I concur as well. However, my terminology happens to be eloquent rather than verbose, though I can be loquacious at times.

X.png
1.pngA.png
2.pngB.png
These are images from the aforementioned links: I just learned how to utilize Command+Shift+4, heh:).

At age 4, i had an in depth knowledge of reptiles rivalling that of a herpetologist. I used to hate maths but thats because i associated it with school. After, i completed the high school syllabus in 2 months. I was doing senior year university mathematics and computer science at the age of 14.

However, i don't believe it is giftedness as you put it. I believe that it is because us aspies can become obsessive and become absorbed in our work a lot more than our NT counterparts can even comprehend. Think of people like newton. Sure he was smart but he spent all day every day obsessively working. He didn't give in and he found results. NT's like to see these great achievements as impossible for them but that is to cover up for their disappointment that they are too lazy to do something themselves as it required work beyond what most NTs consider lots of work.

I concur as well. However, my terminology happens to be eloquent rather than verbose, though I can be loquacious at times.

Eloquence doesn't really refer to the kind of vocabulary a person has. It's the ability to communicate effectively. One could argue that using a string of ten-dollar words all the time is the opposite of eloquence.

Eloquence doesn't really refer to the kind of vocabulary a person has. It's the ability to communicate effectively. One could argue that using a string of ten-dollar words all the time is the opposite of eloquence.

Ereth,
Couldn't agree with you more. I tell my son, who is an Aspie that vocabulary is only meaningful if appropriately used. Long sentences with complex words is not the best way to communicate... We must not forget that we communicate with others and not ourselves..

Do you really talk like that? Because if you don't, I'd find the cloaked conversation quite offensive.

If you do, however, fair play to you. Still, is it really necessary? I have to question its general effectiveness, and therefore also both the logical and social reasoning behind it.

I have no means to even try and guess your levels of intelligence, but if someone put a gun to my head and I had to guess, it wouldn't be anywhere near a genius level. Take that as you will, not trying to be rude or anything.

Last edited:
Ereth,
Couldn't agree with you more. I tell my son, who is an Aspie that vocabulary is only meaningful if appropriately used. Long sentences with complex words is not the best way to communicate... We must not forget that we communicate with others and not ourselves..

I agree, but I must supply an addendum: overly verbose sentences may not be the best way to communicate with others in day-to-day conversation, but there's room for them elsewhere. I'm certainly not advocating that we should start stripping our speech of all refinement.

I agree, but I must supply an addendum: overly verbose sentences may not be the best way to communicate with others in day-to-day conversation, but there's room for them elsewhere. I'm certainly not advocating that we should start stripping our speech of all refinement.
I guess you are right. However, I believe in short and simple language, unless one was writing a piece of literature.. Best way to communicate is to make it simple and interesting...

I do generally believe in simplicity, but there are certain literary works, for example, that would suffer immensely if the language were simplified.

New Threads

Top Bottom