• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Intellectual Giftedness

It is a famous saying that intelligent is explaining a complex idea in a simple way not making a simple idea complex. Consider that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Sophacumenist and his use of language. Granted he does uses some of his words incorrectly, but I feel he's not doing this to show off. I suspect it's a compulsion, just like I have to choose this particular colour, size, font and the bold option when I write my posts. I don't know why I have to do this, but I must do it all the same. We Aspies all seem to have some quirk or other (more in my case), and we need to accept that. Some of our quirks are just more obvious than others.

Mo, I totally agree with you. It was never my intention to make this personal, so I apologize if that's how I made it sound. I just feel language is important enough to discuss---actually, it's one of my obsessions. :p

I don't know if my old school chum's propensity for verbosity was a compulsion, but it could have been, so I understand if that's the case here.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Sophacumenist and his use of language. Granted he does uses some of his words incorrectly, but I feel he's not doing this to show off. I suspect it's a compulsion, just like I have to choose this particular colour, size, font and the bold option when I write my posts. I don't know why I have to do this, but I must do it all the same. We Aspies all seem to have some quirk or other (more in my case), and we need to accept that. Some of our quirks are just more obvious than others.

You're 100% right. I am sorry if i insulted someone. I know what it is like- i am trying to stop compulsively manipulating people. I know what it is like to be compelled so strongly.

I am a NT and take this forum as a learning place, so that I can help myself and my son. I try my best not to offend anyone, but I do try do give NT view on a subject under discussion... I am retired Investment Banker. In my yesteryears, I participated in a course on presentation skills conducted by Joe Garner. The course was titled " Keep it simple and Interesting for your audience".....

At age 4, i had an in depth knowledge of reptiles rivalling that of a herpetologist. I used to hate maths but thats because i associated it with school. After, i completed the high school syllabus in 2 months. I was doing senior year university mathematics and computer science at the age of 14.

However, i don't believe it is giftedness as you put it. I believe that it is because us aspies can become obsessive and become absorbed in our work a lot more than our NT counterparts can even comprehend. Think of people like newton. Sure he was smart but he spent all day every day obsessively working. He didn't give in and he found results. NT's like to see these great achievements as impossible for them but that is to cover up for their disappointment that they are too lazy to do something themselves as it required work beyond what most NTs consider lots of work.

And I can concur 100%. I wasn't stating that I believe my ADD and my OCD stem from my Intellectual Giftedness rather than Aspergers. Quite the contrary, in fact! I was simply presenting the differentiation in traits of those with giftedness and those with the autism spectrum disorders as well as giftedness. I am certain, per centum maxima, that my OCD, catastrophization, and perfectionism all stem from Aspergers.

Also, I am aware that my verbosity can be ineffective in communication, notably pertaining to peers of mine, but it happens to be from my OCD; despite my efforts of attempting comprehensible fluency, my fascination in expansive diction is persistent.

Last edited:
And I can concur 100%. I wasn't stating that I believe my ADD and my OCD stem from my Intellectual Giftedness rather than Aspergers. Quite the contrary, in fact! I was simply presenting the differentiation in traits of those with giftedness and those with the autism spectrum disorders as well as giftedness. I am certain, per centum maxima, that my OCD, catastrophization, and perfectionism all stem from Aspergers.

Also, I am aware that my verbosity can be ineffective in communication, notably pertaining to peers of mine, but it happens to be from my OCD; despite my efforts of attempting comprehensible fluency, my fascination in expansive diction is persistent.

Oh, i appreciate the clarification but do you think, maybe, it could be, at a subconscious level, a need to prove yourself to others around you.

Saying that, it occurs to me that i may be trying to find a psychological and evolutionary cause for everything which is something i do, similar to your fascination with the use of an expansive diction.

Damn, i just did it to myself! :2thumb:

Oh, i appreciate the clarification but do you think, maybe, it could be, at a subconscious level, a need to prove yourself to others around you.

Saying that, it occurs to me that i may be trying to find a psychological and evolutionary cause for everything which is something i do, similar to your fascination with the use of an expansive diction.

Damn, i just did it to myself! :2thumb:
Why, yes! I find that, around peers of mine, I can be quite ostentacious (dictionary.reference.com:characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others)! With the isolation of my Aspergers, I feel the desire to inspire awe in others via expansive phraseology of mine!

Last edited:
Why, yes! I find that, around peers of mine, I can be quite ostentacious (dictionary.reference.com:characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others)! With the isolation of my Aspergers, I feel the desire to inspire awe in others via expansive phraseology of mine!

Exactly, i feel that if i can't join them i will beat them. Saying that, i see no reason to join them anyway. :)

Originally Posted by tridianprime
Exactly, i feel that if i can't join them i will beat them. Saying that, i see no reason to join them anyway. :)
And me as well; I find myself quite isolated in class during assignments. Every opportunity i get to choose partner or solo, I am sure your hunch on my decision will be precise:).

Last edited:
If we're going by intelligence quotient standards my most up to date IQ test score was 132. Four years prior to said test I rolled in at a 126. Supposedly 130+ indicates a gifted mind, I don't place much stock in IQ's regardless. Personally I've always had a knack for mechanical concepts and I stay relatively 'tech savvy'. Despite all of this I have yet to pass any algebra class (Age 25 now), I quit school after only completing 7th grade for various reasons though I did attain my GED less than a month after quitting at the age of 16; all of my GED test scores were labeled as "superior" except for math which was "above average. My mother however is 59 years old and after struggling for two years to pass her GED exam she has given it up, she is terrible with gadgets and just as bad with mechanical principles; My father was an addict and alcoholic so if he was intelligent no one ever knew. Grandparents were also relatively simple minded, they hated technology I would say...I can remember dialing the pyone using the rotary dialer so they certainly didn't keep up with the times. My aunt shows a tad more intelligence than all of tye above however its her three daughters (much older than me) that really show signs of advanced intelligence, it seems to progress through new generations or perhaps skip generations; I've heard my great grandfather was an excellent boat crafter alongside everything else you could think of (eve made the best shine in the county lol supposedly). I think the difference between my mother and those like her and myself and those like me is the fact I am a very proficient autodidact. All of my knowledge is essentially self taught. I learn things I'm interested in and nothing I'm not unfortunately. I have comorbid ADD and bipolar disorder so this sets me back a bit. How many of you are autodidacts?

If we're going by intelligence quotient standards my most up to date IQ test score was 132. Four years prior to said test I rolled in at a 126. Supposedly 130+ indicates a gifted mind, I don't place much stock in IQ's regardless. Personally I've always had a knack for mechanical concepts and I stay relatively 'tech savvy'. Despite all of this I have yet to pass any algebra class (Age 25 now), I quit school after only completing 7th grade for various reasons though I did attain my GED less than a month after quitting at the age of 16; all of my GED test scores were labeled as "superior" except for math which was "above average. My mother however is 59 years old and after struggling for two years to pass her GED exam she has given it up, she is terrible with gadgets and just as bad with mechanical principles; My father was an addict and alcoholic so if he was intelligent no one ever knew. Grandparents were also relatively simple minded, they hated technology I would say...I can remember dialing the pyone using the rotary dialer so they certainly didn't keep up with the times. My aunt shows a tad more intelligence than all of tye above however its her three daughters (much older than me) that really show signs of advanced intelligence, it seems to progress through new generations or perhaps skip generations; I've heard my great grandfather was an excellent boat crafter alongside everything else you could think of (eve made the best shine in the county lol supposedly). I think the difference between my mother and those like her and myself and those like me is the fact I am a very proficient autodidact. All of my knowledge is essentially self taught. I learn things I'm interested in and nothing I'm not unfortunately. I have comorbid ADD and bipolar disorder so this sets me back a bit. How many of you are autodidacts?

Well, while nowhere near equilibrium or your's, I do have autodidacts pertaining to Language Arts and Mathematics. Diagnosticated as gifted at the age of 7, I found no impediments in my augmentation of vocabulary, in contrast to my peers. In 3rd grade, I was utterly dumbfounded with fascination in numbers! By 4th, my group had 2 weeks to read Maniac Magee: I had concluded this in 3 days; I was so enthralled in this literature that I read it in class and at home! By 7th, I had taken a test of advancement, skipping Pre-Algebra straight to Algebra I for 8th. However, vicissitudes would finally occur in high school, as calamity via falling off bicycle caused damage to my left-frontal lobe, starting syncopal seizures of strain. However, even undergoing this anxiety, my SAT scores for math and literature were advanced! While there aren't any exemplifications I have as of yet, I am certain that my giftedness is hereditary.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom