• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic" or "has Autism:

I am a geriatric, autistic, heterosexual caucasion native American with English, german, irish and African decent and that's what I want everyone to refer to me as. :eek::confused:
Or you can just call me Pats.

I am an aspie.

But it "amuses" me ( because I am being kind);) that as soon as I said I am autistic, immediately, I was corrected. No, you have aspergers!

I have aspergers.

To me, being autistic, means on the lower spectrum ie classic autism.
You are going to hear this from me one more time.

When I was assessed, the diagnostic parameters used at the time didn't let me qualify to be an aspie, and trust me, I am far from low functioning.

diagnostic parameters used at the time didn't let me qualify to be an aspie

Same happened to me. Although they recognise aspergers here in France, the diagnostic paper does not and says that I am moderately autistic, going towards severe, which is ridiculous, since when I said: so I have autism then? And he shook his head and said: not at all!

‘On the spectrum’ or ‘an ASD diagnosis’ is fine with me, and is what I was told I am and have by clinicians after my assessment so is factually correct. Besides, I am me first, then a husband and father, a tradesman, a horticultural fanatic, a Lute aficionado. Etc, etc! Being on the spectrum is only one part of me I am not a diagnosis, I am a complex person with a diagnosis.

"On the spectrum," "Aspie," or "Autistic" would be my preferences. But I don't scoff at saying someone has it, as sometimes its easier to describe the point of a sentence with that language.

As an aside, when you're on the high functioning end of the spectrum, saying you're "Autistic/have autism" to most people (ie ignorant people) is bound to be seen with confusion and doubt, so I tend to lean toward the former 2 examples unless with more trusted, enlightened company (then again, I tend to keep it quiet anyway).

I am an aspie.

But it "amuses" me ( because I am being kind);) that as soon as I said I am autistic, immediately, I was corrected. No, you have aspergers!

I have aspergers.

To me, being autistic, means on the lower spectrum ie classic autism.

It's a contentious subject, the whole Aspie/Asperger's designation. I started a thread on it a few months back because of the backlash on social media...

Since it came out that Hans Asperger wasn't quite the innocent academic, beavering away under the radar of the Nazis as he had been portrayed, his name, and the designation named after him, has become a dirty word amongst many (mainly younger) Autistics.

More than once on Twitter I have stood up for someone who was being badgered over referring to themselves as "Aspie" and ended up being called a "Nazi sympathiser", "Fascist", "Ablist" and worse. No joke - I have witnessed a gay, wheelchair bound, visually impaired, autistic Jewish girl being called a Nazi for talking about her Asperger's diagnosis.

I agree with what's been said in this thread that there are much bigger things to worry about in this world, but there are some people who just won't let it go. It's not about political correctness, it's about those people having nothing better to do that the only way they can boost their low self esteem is to find new ways to feel superior to others.

I'd like to add one little thing in this thread whilst we're debating what we call ourselves...

It doesn't matter what label was given to us when we were diagnosed. If we were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, High Functioning Autism, Kanner-type autism, classic autism, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Autistic Spectrum Condition, On The Spectrum, ASD 1,2 or 3....

All those labels still mean "autistic" - they still mean "autism" is part of us.

Today is World Autism Awareness Day (not the month that A$ strings it out to) so if there's ever a time to be claiming it back for ourselves it's now. It's not anybody's business to tell you how to refer to yourself, but "autistic" is not an insult, it's just a description. "Autistic" doesn't imply low function or high care needs. It's what all of us on the spectrum are.

Those of us who are lucky enough to lead independent lives owe it to those less fortunate to own the word and use the word. By all means be an Aspie if you prefer, it's your right to use whatever terminology you prefer but if we distance ourselves from the term "autistic" we validate those who marginalise us.

InfinityBIGrev.png

I also prefer "autistic", cause I'd I say I "have autism", people will get all sympathetic like it's a bad thing. When I say I'm autistic, it'll be more like a personality trait instead of sounding like some disease. That's why o don't like it when people say "treat autism" or "cure autism". I'm like WHAT!? You can't change the way someone thinks or how they process stimuli!

It's a contentious subject, the whole Aspie/Asperger's designation. I started a thread on it a few months back because of the backlash on social media...

Since it came out that Hans Asperger wasn't quite the innocent academic, beavering away under the radar of the Nazis as he had been portrayed, his name, and the designation named after him, has become a dirty word amongst many (mainly younger) Autistics.

More than once on Twitter I have stood up for someone who was being badgered over referring to themselves as "Aspie" and ended up being called a "Nazi sympathiser", "Fascist", "Ablist" and worse. No joke - I have witnessed a gay, wheelchair bound, visually impaired, autistic Jewish girl being called a Nazi for talking about her Asperger's diagnosis.

I agree with what's been said in this thread that there are much bigger things to worry about in this world, but there are some people who just won't let it go. It's not about political correctness, it's about those people having nothing better to do that the only way they can boost their low self esteem is to find new ways to feel superior to others.

Ahhh, that may be the reason why the mental health unit, have decided to oust the word: aspergers!

I also heard that Han's Aspergers was not innocent, so if that is true, then I will not refer to being an aspie, but it is hard, because I clearly do not have autism.

Thankfully, I do not frequent Twitter etc and the one place that I do use, which could be similar to Twitter with inane accusations, so far have not resorted to that.

I'd like to add one little thing in this thread whilst we're debating what we call ourselves...

It doesn't matter what label was given to us when we were diagnosed. If we were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, High Functioning Autism, Kanner-type autism, classic autism, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Autistic Spectrum Condition, On The Spectrum, ASD 1,2 or 3....

All those labels still mean "autistic" - they still mean "autism" is part of us.

Today is World Autism Awareness Day (not the month that A$ strings it out to) so if there's ever a time to be claiming it back for ourselves it's now. It's not anybody's business to tell you how to refer to yourself, but "autistic" is not an insult, it's just a description. "Autistic" doesn't imply low function or high care needs. It's what all of us on the spectrum are.

Those of us who are lucky enough to lead independent lives owe it to those less fortunate to own the word and use the word. By all means be an Aspie if you prefer, it's your right to use whatever terminology you prefer but if we distance ourselves from the term "autistic" we validate those who marginalise us.

View attachment 53134
HAPPY AUTISM AWARENESS DAY !!!!

if that is true, then I will not refer to being an aspie, but it is hard, because I clearly do not have autism.

Suzanne if you can call yourself Aspie then you have autism. Asperger's was always part of the autism spectrum, in fact in the beginning it defined the spectrum.

It is not possible to have an Asperger's diagnosis and not be autistic. Be proud of it. You're one of us :)

I prefer to be called "aspie" and I call myself as "aspie" :)
i don't have a good reason about, I just find this name cute and saying "with autism" seems to me a cruel disease.

I tend to use 'I am on the spectrum', 'I'm an Aspie' and 'I am autistic' interchangeably although I don't actually say these words to anyone much other than immediate family and a couple of close friends. I prefer the I am version over the I have version but won't get offended if someone uses the latter. Probably I would correct them though.

Autistic. That's what I prefer. I hate how in my classes and when I'm in schools, I'm required to say "person with autism". I hate getting corrected on it. I'm actually on the autism spectrum, shouldn't I get a say in what I'm called? But no, we have to use person first language.

Autistic. That's what I prefer. I hate how in my classes and when I'm in schools, I'm required to say "person with autism". I hate getting corrected on it. I'm actually on the autism spectrum, shouldn't I get a say in what I'm called? But no, we have to use person first language.

That’s terrible, who is requiring you to talk a certain way why can’t you say what you want, or nothing at all if you choose? You should absolutely get a say in it, not only that, it should all ultimately be your choice! If that were me being treated like that, I wouldn’t accept anyone correcting me on something there is no ‘correct’ answer for, that would lead to a big problem.

I know. But I really want to teach, and I don't want to get kicked out for causing a problem before I start teaching. My professor quit correcting me when I explained my view point but in schools I have to model the correct language for kids and identity first language is not it.:disappointed:

I know. But I really want to teach, and I don't want to get kicked out for causing a problem before I start teaching. My professor quit correcting me when I explained my view point but in schools I have to model the correct language for kids and identity first language is not it.:disappointed:

Wow, who decides what the ‘correct language’ is? I find this really shocking! I thought there was freedom of speech and and freedom of expression in America, what you describe sounds more like a dictatorship or something out of Animal Farm.

I understand your passion for teaching and not wanting to be seen as a trouble maker, but you must have to bite your tongue when you’re subjugated to go along with this nonsense, I would if it were me.

New Threads

Top Bottom