1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured "Autistic" or "has Autism:

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Dirtdigger, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Dirtdigger

Dirtdigger Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

How would you all like to be referred to? "Autistic/Aspie" or "has/with Autism/Aspergers"? I want to be called Autistic because when someone says I have/with Autism it feels like I have or with a disease like having or being with a cold, flu or some other disease. Or am I just being oversensitive about who I am.

Would like to get your feedback.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ZebraAspie

ZebraAspie Well-Known Member

Autistic but not offended if a person says a person with autism however I hate autistic sufferer or suffers from autism.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ken S.

Ken S. Dog Cookie King V.I.P Member

Honestly I don't care how others refer to me unless they are deliberately rude to my face.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Southern Discomfort

Southern Discomfort Smarter than the Average Bear V.I.P Member

I don't mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. AGXStarseed

AGXStarseed Well-Known Member

I prefer "Autistic".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Monachopia

Monachopia ...spiral out... keep going.

I probably would prefer "has autism" / "has Asperger's" because that defines me as an individual first, but that also has the trait of autism. But I do recognise that there's a view that it could be viewed as an illness "suffered" by some people. In some sense maybe labelled as a straight up 'Aspie' or 'Autistic' would colour the person as only being that description and nothing else.

But honestly, semantically, I don't mind either when in reference to how I describe myself or how others refer to me. I use both.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

I don't carry my autism in my pocket. It's not an accessory. I'm autistic. It's IN me, not WITH me ;)

I don't object to people using PFL language (Person First) if that's their preference, but since every poll done has shown that the majority of us prefer to be called "autistic" that should be the default for people when they refer to us.

What I do object to is being told what I should call myself, especially by people not on the spectrum. It's our choice and nobody else's.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

I tell those it matters to that I'm autistic.

Most of the world isn't offered that part of me, so it's a non-issue most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

Semantically, I prefer "autistic" as an adjectival description of one of my traits.

I am not personally offended at "has autism," but I consider it to be a misdemeanor...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I like Knight of the Spectrum.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Graphin

Graphin They're red can duck?

how about "has a diagnosis of ASD"

If you want to get offended, you could watch things like "I am autism"

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Such things don't bother me, but I tend to use "autistic" rather than "with autism". If I need to refer to myself, I usually say "with Asperger's" because that is what I was diagnosed with and there is no other good way to put it, or I will say "on the spectrum".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm more of a 'depends on the sentence' person. But I do think 'on the spectrum' sounds cooler. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Kyou Nukui

Kyou Nukui music is amazing

I'm left handed.
    I'm a leftie. :)
    I'm not a person with leftism. -_-

But I have bigger problems to worry about.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. RosaViolet

RosaViolet Well-Known Member

I don't mind. I am autistic. I think both should be used to point out autism is not in the pocket , not an infection as it were, but also to allow flexibility for people to speak naturally.

Most people don't know it is controversial, don't think deeply what to say, so we should not make it into a minefield where people would not know how to speak about autistic people.

I agree there are bigger problem.
    Maybe we should spend more time speaking about bigger problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

Autistic is what we all should say. Every time anyone says "with autism" or even worse "suffers from autism" I die a about a million deaths (figuratively speaking).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Monachopia

Monachopia ...spiral out... keep going.

I don't know really.... Maybe being diagnosed later in life and having had labels attached to me in negative ways (freak - weirdo - etc) , I'm more reluctant to just call myself 'autistic'. I don't need another label. So in all honesty I say that I'm "on the autism spectrum" more often than anything else.

But yes, there are more important things to worry about in the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I am an aspie.

But it "amuses" me ( because I am being kind);) that as soon as I said I am autistic, immediately, I was corrected. No, you have aspergers!

I have aspergers.

To me, being autistic, means on the lower spectrum ie classic autism.

19. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

The thing is, any number of us casually choose to use the informal term "Aspie" to identify ourselves as being on the spectrum of autism. It's familiar and seems easily recognized within the Neurodiverse community.

However it doesn't change the clinical reality of medical protocols like the ICD-11 and the DSM-V which have effectively consolidated both Aspergers Syndrome and pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified into "Autism Spectrum Disorder" (ASD).

In essence, "Aspergers Syndrome" essentially no longer applies. Personally I really don't care what popular and acceptable terms are used by autistic people to define themselves. Though I suppose eventually with time, more and more of us may simply cease identifying ourselves as "Aspies" to conform with present medical protocols rather than past ones.

New global diagnostic manual mirrors U.S. autism criteria

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  20. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This makes a lot of sense. It's like telling us what to call others in other groups. black, white, African American, caucasion, gay, LBGT, etc. We'd have to carry a 'how to refer to others' dictionary with us and refer to it before speaking. Or just quit talking period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1