• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic" or "has Autism:

I typically say, “I’m autistic.”

I have no problem with “I am” vs “I have.” I am male. I am 6’5”. I am Mormon. Nobody expects those I-am’s to entirely define me, so “I am autistic” should not entirely define me either.

I like the “Aspie” nickname because it’s so mellifluous, but I won’t use it because I was diagnosed with Autism, not Asperger’s, and I’m a stickler for accuracy. “Autie” doesn’t roll off the tongue as well.

I like “on the spectrum’ and “ND” because they’re not as harsh, and I really like the emphasis on diversity within the spectrum, but you can only say those to someone who is already familiar with autism and neuro-diversity.

I prefer Gracey.

Sure, Autism may influence my functioning,
I’m a person, not soley a condition.

Last edited:
Ahhh, that may be the reason why the mental health unit, have decided to oust the word: aspergers!

I also heard that Han's Aspergers was not innocent, so if that is true, then I will not refer to being an aspie, but it is hard, because I clearly do not have autism.

Thankfully, I do not frequent Twitter etc and the one place that I do use, which could be similar to Twitter with inane accusations, so far have not resorted to that.

I’m totally confused with what you are writing!

So you recently went through an assessment where you were apparently diagnosed “moderately autistic going towards severe.” When you asked your autism diagnostician if you were autistic “he shook his head and said not at all” So you were diagnosed with autism by someone who doesn’t think you have autism, is that correct?

It also seems you want to refer to yourself as an Aspie as is your prerogative, which was previously considered someone on the ‘high functioning’ end of the autism spectrum before the DSM changes. Yet you write about yourself “I clearly do not have autism.”
I’m lost with this....

I really don't understand the whole argument with these things.
Diabetic or a person with diabetes?
does that matter too?

Diabetic or a person with diabetes?
does that matter too?
To many of us (so far), it really doesn't matter. I just commented about its semantics.

Semantically, diabetes differs from autism.
  • Diabetes is an added-on condition, like a red hat, etc., so "with/has" [noun] is more correct.
  • Autistic describes an inherent quality, like tall, slender, etc., so "is" [adjective] is more fitting.

I prefer 'autistic' myself. 'With autism' always sounds like some kind of disease to me.
Reminds me of the shirts that had a finger pointing to the side that said "I'm with stupid" and the companion shirt that had a finger pointing up that said "Stupid"

I think both are fine. I thought maybe "has autism" would raise slightly fewer red flags for people, but on second thought, it means the same thing.

Last edited:
I'm cool with "aspie" but autistic, or has autism is cool too. Really, so long as I'm not being dehumanized for my diagnostic I'm fine with anything.

I prefer autistic.

However, what I really would prefer is to combine the names of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Aspergers Syndrome. They would merge to become Autism Spectrum Syndrome--no more disorder.

Then, when I have a social blunder, I can simply say, "I'm sorry. I'm an ASS."

And the person could kindly respond, "Ah, I understand. You know, my uncle was an ASS."

I prefer autistic.

However, what I really would prefer is to combine the names of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Aspergers Syndrome. They would merge to become Autism Spectrum Syndrome--no more disorder.

Then, when I have a social blunder, I can simply say, "I'm sorry. I'm an ASS."

And the person could kindly respond, "Ah, I understand. You know, my uncle was an ASS."

Any situation that uses acronyms is a winner in my book.

I hate reading stuff about organisations when I find their name isn't even an acronym.

Make an effort people :)

New Threads

Top Bottom