• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic cartoon character

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
My son occasionally watches this show on PBS, Hero Elementary about 4 kid superheroes. Wasn't until today that I found out one of the heroes is autistic. The nice thing is that they don't really call attention to his being on the spectrum throughout the series, but they do highlight it in this episode. I like that they are trying to normalize ASD by not constantly pointing it out nor saying that his autism is his only superpower. Keeping in mind it's just a cartoon, it's still steps closer to inclusivity.. so thought I'd share:

That is so cool! I don't think he is an offensive representation of an autistic child at all. I like that the other characters are nice to him instead of thinking he's weird or making fun of him, like some people on other shows do with autistic characters. And I like that he is considered helpful instead of being portrayed as a burden.

I like that there is racial diversity too, although I think kids' shows have been getting better about that in general.
The Hispanic girl character with the big eyes looks and sounds like me. Lol

I like that there is racial diversity too, although I think kids' shows have been getting better about that in general.

Yes I'm glad you brought that up. I read as well that the producers of the show also made the character black due to that statistically black children get diagnosed later than their peers. They're hoping to help bridge that gap as well.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom