• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism IS a Disability

It is not co-morbid because it occurs by itself. But a person with ASD1 can get FAS, if their mother drinks alcohol, and it would be a co-morbid condition (because it was in addition to the autism).

With a not-yet-identified root cause. Epidemiologists know that something changed, environmentally, around 1979. They just haven't come to a consensus what it was, yet.

If I was born with wings, maybe I could fly too..

Every person has their own relationship with their diagnosis / condition, and that's personal to them. People need to respect that.

With a not-yet-identified root cause. Epidemiologists know that something changed, environmentally, around 1979. They just haven't come to a consensus what it was, yet.

And according to the graph, it seems to have gone on changing. Do they think it could be atmospheric? Like part of global warming, or maybe the sun doing something different? Or something we've had since around then that's seen as protective, yet has this side effect? Like fluoridation of the water or less use of coal?

I reside in France and here, they consider asd to be a disability. In one respect that is hard for me to swallow, as the idea of being disabled is not a positive one for me; but, on the other hand, there are benefits to being seen as disabled, because I don't have to hide behind a mask anymore.

However, I do not consider myself disabled in this regard and actually, I consider myself more disabled with having chronic social anxiety!

If the world had predominately neurodiverse people and a minory of neurotypicals, then they would be considered to be disabled, so really it is subjective to me. Whereas if someone is in a wheelchair or in other way, severely incapable of doing basic things, then, it is a clear cut disabledment.

I just read that they are now (2019 research article) thinking 80% of the increase in autism is related to genetics, only 20% environment. A theory I think is likely is that partner choice accounts for this to a degree. Its really only relatively recent that people have had more free choice as to who they marry or get together with. More and more people are free to choose, and alongside that would have been the rise of information technology and it's related careers, enabling more ASD 1 unions. Mostly women haven't been diagnosed anyway, so often neither person would be aware they had ASD.

From where I sit, ASD1 is the cured form of ASD2/3.
nope I think we just don't have as many comorbid conditions, i m considered very high functioning, ironic considering how I live ,problem is like any examination or test, it's a small amount of time in a usually foreign setting ,I don't think anybody is disabled just live in a world of self centred people ,there's no such thing as a community theres the! accepted and not !accepted two groups .

I reside in France and here, they consider asd to be a disability. In one respect that is hard for me to swallow, as the idea of being disabled is not a positive one for me; but, on the other hand, there are benefits to being seen as disabled, because I don't have to hide behind a mask anymore.

However, I do not consider myself disabled in this regard and actually, I consider myself more disabled with having chronic social anxiety!

If the world had predominately neurodiverse people and a minory of neurotypicals, then they would be considered to be disabled, so really it is subjective to me. Whereas if someone is in a wheelchair or in other way, severely incapable of doing basic things, then, it is a clear cut disabledment.
What if everybody was born with a lack of ability to stand ,then there were a small percentage who could ,they would be called disabled ,it's purely a mindset nothing else

I read the other day that the US doesn't consider autism as meeting the federal criteria for disability.

On the one hand, maybe that's nice for those who struggle less, but on the other hand, there are so many of us who are just on welfare and struggling, going through voc rehab multiple times, trying to craft a life that meets our needs while understanding that our country sees nothing legally wrong with us. What has excluded autism from being able to receive disability benefits (if needed)? Too many successful people out of silicon valley? I don't get it.

Moreover, the social model of disability is as real as the medical model. If we didn't have to face an environment that was so assaulting, it would have benefits, no matter the support level.

But agreed with @Progster: we each have our own relationship to our diagnosis, whatever that may be, and however it may change (or not) over time.

The best analogy my family resembles the show big bang theory, I would be Leonard, older brother did resemble Sheldon, he was similar in personality to Paul Dirac, and yes I married a Penny look alike.
We have health care in Canada, Ron's stroke did not break us. Ron and his siblings were never labeled, all are well to do.

Last edited:
The best analogy my family resembles the show big bang theory, I would be Leonard, older brother resembled did Sheldon, similar in personality Paul Dirac, yes I married a Penny look alike.
We have health care in Canada, Ron's stroke did not break us. Ron and his siblings were never labeled, all are well to do.
Umm. Spoiler warnings?

When I describe my autism to teachers before the school year starts I normally have to include it in an email with all of my other disabilities listed even though I'm not on a disabled pension from the government. That's just how I have to list things like that as that's how all of the schools I've been to have worked. For me it's more about something that makes me far more unable to do something than someone else who isn't autistic.

I don't like thinking about myself having autism as a superpower. I don't equate myself with super-anything. I'm human. That's all.

It is interesting,...this whole concept of what makes someone "disabled",...and I think it gets quite nebulous depending upon the specifics.

I have heard the explanation that, in some cases, one can be "disabled" by their environment,...i.e. someone wheelchair bound facing a flight of stairs. Along those lines, as it pertains to autism, one can also be "disabled" by their environment if said environment is created for the neurotypical,...and it makes me wonder, if perhaps, the neurotypical might also be "disabled" in an environment created for the autistic mind. That environment may be the physical environment, but could also be the intellectual, communicative, or behavioral environment.

Working in a busy hospital, and part time as an educator, and having Asperger's condition, and being active on this forum...I can see this from many perspectives. Many of us struggle with the process of learning, as often presented for the neurotypical learner. It's not that learning or becoming an expert in our respective fields is difficult intellectually,...it's often the process,...as the neurotypical is often first taught how to "do", and then over time, learns the finer details, answers questions, and eventually becomes an "expert". The autistic often gets frustrated with the "order", wanting to understand the fundementals, the details, and answer questions before actually doing.

I understand why it can be easy to balk at the term. I did for many years, out of a mixture of pride and fear of being different.
Admitting it has helped me be more at peace. It's made me reach out for support that is there ready and waiting, instead of being stubborn. Getting that didn't make me any lesser of a person. Unfortunately it is a combination of people around me not accepting my neurology (because, to quote someone close to me, it is the 'minority') and living in a society and environment which can often be hostile to us.

I've always been mixed on terms like 'differently abled', 'superpower', and 'special ability'. Who is using these terms, and what are their motives? (I've never referred to myself as any of those, but facebook 'autism warrior' mums I see do and in the next breath are lamenting how their autistic child is actually a neurotypical deep down needing to be rescued with the power of essential oils and ABA)
In addition, sometimes these words are con by local powers to reduce the support you can get if and when you reach out for it (so like the high vs low functioning label system, but way worse)

nope I think we just don't have as many comorbid conditions, i m considered very high functioning, ironic considering how I live ,problem is like any examination or test, it's a small amount of time in a usually foreign setting ,I don't think anybody is disabled just live in a world of self centred people ,there's no such thing as a community theres the! accepted and not !accepted two groups .

My son is definitely disabled. To carry that view you should feel privileged to have that mentality. Sometimes autism with a ton of comorbidities can TRULY be a disability. There's no sugar coating it, that's just fact.

By the way I accept and love him more than anyone or anything else in the world too.

It is interesting,...this whole concept of what makes someone "disabled",...and I think it gets quite nebulous depending upon the specifics.

I have heard the explanation that, in some cases, one can be "disabled" by their environment,...i.e. someone wheelchair bound facing a flight of stairs. Along those lines, as it pertains to autism, one can also be "disabled" by their environment if said environment is created for the neurotypical,...and it makes me wonder, if perhaps, the neurotypical might also be "disabled" in an environment created for the autistic mind. That environment may be the physical environment, but could also be the intellectual, communicative, or behavioral environment.

Working in a busy hospital, and part time as an educator, and having Asperger's condition, and being active on this forum...I can see this from many perspectives. Many of us struggle with the process of learning, as often presented for the neurotypical learner. It's not that learning or becoming an expert in our respective fields is difficult intellectually,...it's often the process,...as the neurotypical is often first taught how to "do", and then over time, learns the finer details, answers questions, and eventually becomes an "expert". The autistic often gets frustrated with the "order", wanting to understand the fundementals, the details, and answer questions before actually doing.

While you are stereotypically correct. Not all people on the spectrum learn or function that way. I function better by immersion and seeing something being done (if it's something that interests me, usually just once or twice). I can't read a manual, hate reading diagrams, struggle with blueprints, and am an almost purely visual learner.

I do agree that people who aren't on the spectrum would be in hell to live just 10 minutes in the brains of someone on the spectrum.

Yes I definitely learn better by finding my own way towards something, the trouble with that is, not knowing what I don't know... so I wander sometimes a bit vaguely in search of knowledge or how to do stuff. With a practical task, watching works well for me, and being able to ask questions is often helpful. Executive function issues impede my learning too. But I persevere well.

And according to the graph, it seems to have gone on changing. Do they think it could be atmospheric? Like part of global warming, or maybe the sun doing something different? Or something we've had since around then that's seen as protective, yet has this side effect? Like fluoridation of the water or less use of coal?

One thing that did appear in the early 1980's were cellphones which emit small amounts of radiation. I read a study that around that time, people who were wealthy enough to have them started having more children with autism. For example doctors, lawyers, and so on. The theory is that because males reproductive organs (testicles) are not protected and it's common practice to keep a cellphone in your front pocket, that the radiation from the phones is mutating the sperm and causing higher rates of autism and other issues. It was a small study though and I don't know how reputable it is. This is a similar study: The National Toxicology Program’s Cell Phone Study and Autism — Clear Light Ventures

One thing that did appear in the early 1980's were cellphones which emit small amounts of radiation. I read a study that around that time, people who were wealthy enough to have them started having more children with autism. For example doctors, lawyers, and so on. The theory is that because males reproductive organs (testicles) are not protected and it's common practice to keep a cellphone in your front pocket, that the radiation from the phones is mutating the sperm and causing higher rates of autism and other issues. It was a small study though and I don't know how reputable it is. This is a similar study: The National Toxicology Program’s Cell Phone Study and Autism — Clear Light Ventures
I doubt that it is reputable. It's probably one of the articles conspiracy theorists spam out of context.

New Threads

Top Bottom