• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism & Doctors

Evil Genius

We run the world...
V.I.P Member
So I had a doctor that basically tried to blame a meltdown I was having due to frustration on being manic. He's stopped listening to me now, saying "that's the mania talking". Anyone have a similar occurrence? What did you do to counteract?

I would find a new doctor... Mine is pretty good and seems to have a good grasp on what high functioning autistic behavior is like, and he actually listens. Try and find a doc like that. I know its hard to do, but it is possible.

It happened to me once. My doctor said I was either manic or on drugs. I was just happy and full of energy, but she didn't think I was capable of being that way. I swore I wasn't on drugs and I wasn't, so she just decided I was "manic". When I came back the next time, heavily medicated but just as "manic", she upped the dose.

So I went to a different doctor who was actually pleased to see my smiling face instead. There is no arguing with someone who just attributes your every word to "mania". You cannot win at that point; you can't even dig yourself out of the hole to reach level ground.

So I had a doctor that basically tried to blame a meltdown I was having due to frustration on being manic. He's stopped listening to me now, saying "that's the mania talking". Anyone have a similar occurrence? What did you do to counteract?

Time to kick that doctor to the curb. As a man who is disabled, I generally look for female doctors because I have had a much better experience with them. I've found them to be generally kinder, gentler, and more understanding - easier to talk to and (by an order of magnitude) less judgmental. Going to the doctor's office is already anxiety-provoking, the last thing I need is for a doctor to worsen the feeling. My primary care provider carefully explains what she's going to do before she touches me. I know what she's going to do so I don't feel jumpy or nervous.

It happened to me once. My doctor said I was either manic or on drugs. I was just happy and full of energy, but she didn't think I was capable of being that way. I swore I wasn't on drugs and I wasn't, so she just decided I was "manic". When I came back the next time, heavily medicated but just as "manic", she upped the dose.

So I went to a different doctor who was actually pleased to see my smiling face instead. There is no arguing with someone who just attributes your every word to "mania". You cannot win at that point; you can't even dig yourself out of the hole to reach level ground.

Part of my problem is I'm in the town where all my family is, and this doctor knows my family and goes to my church. On top of that, my wife accused me of doctor-hopping until I got the answer I wanted. Lots, and lots, and lots of social and interpersonal potholes in this situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom