• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I enjoy watching the series. There are things that I can relate to and I like observing the social interaction, even though it's acted. I wouldn't expect it to be 100% accurate to real life, as it's a fictional TV program.

I think it's probably more accessible for people that don't have much experience of autism, than a documetary.

(Edited to correct spelling and punctuation.)

Last edited:
Hi to Netflix subscribers in the USA.

I'm not sure if this show Atypical is streaming outside the US or not, but I wanted to come on here and get some reactions from anyone who's watched it, or at least a few episodes? I've been off Netflix for nearly a year and decided to accept their free trial/return offer for the winter break since I actually had time to watch Netflix. A few friends have mentioned this show, and so I decided to give it a try.

Not happy with what I saw in the first episode. I watched most of the second before falling asleep and I'm not sure I will continue watching. I did read online that the autistic community has spoken out against the show's first season, and as a result, the second season has changed its approach a good bit. Just interested in getting some feedback here. I like the concept of the series a lot, but I'm so over the stereotypical binaries that non-Autistic script writers perpetuate in the entertainment industry.

I told one friend that these directors, producers and writers need to understand that nobody understands the autistic community better than actual autistics. And we're quite capable of thinking and speaking for ourselves. Often more capable than neurotypicals. I feel this effort to represent ASD would be akin to me as a privileged white American chic (originally from the south) trying to represent life for black American girls living in the south. It's palpably absurd.

Atypical is on Netflix in Canada, too. I watched it and liked it, even though (to me) some of the episodes have public-service-announcement-about-autism vibes.

Oh, and I'd be surprised if someone didn't already start an older thread about this show here somewhere. If anyone finds a link, or just comes across an interesting article or blogpost written about this show, please share?

There’s a few topics on this show already, using the search function should show those ;)

I tried to watch it last year, but gave up after about the first 10 minutes of episode 1, swearing doesn't offend me in the most part, heck, I swear a lot myself, but this was extreme IMO.

I like it! I think it's cute! I want to date the main character! But I also liked the first three Star Wars and Jar Jar Binks, so what do I know? :D

But seriously, I've never been able to see TV and movies as something that is created by people and could have been done differently. I just take it for how it is and enjoy it or don't, absent of analysis. :)

Watched both seasons because my allistic sister is a fan. He's a stereotype. His girlfriend might be a more realistic autistic, but it might be intended as just anxiety and not masking.

The way the father acted in the first season you'd think he'd never met his son before. Don't get me wrong, his son is an asshole, but his father seemed to consistently expect him… not to be one. And then was heartbroken when he was one anyway.

The mother is exhausting. The sister is the real protagonist. The sex-obsessed ethnic friend is yet another offensive stereotype. The show contains precisely zero important lessons to be learned.

Has anyone ever met such an autism-positive community that is still so clueless?

Watched both seasons because my allistic sister is a fan. He's a stereotype. His girlfriend might be a more realistic autistic, but it might be intended as just anxiety and not masking.

The way the father acted in the first season you'd think he'd never met his son before. Don't get me wrong, his son is an asshole, but his father seemed to consistently expect him… not to be one. And then was heartbroken when he was one anyway.

The mother is exhausting. The sister is the real protagonist. The sex-obsessed ethnic friend is yet another offensive stereotype. The show contains precisely zero important lessons to be learned.

Has anyone ever met such an autism-positive community that is still so clueless?

The latest series of The Undatables started on Channel 4 in the UK last Wednesday night at 9 PM, it deals with UK adults of various disabilities including Autism who can't otherwise get dates.

However, even though the series is "Award winning" and now into its 10th series, some people don't like its portrayal of disabled people, I for one don't like the Southern bias of the contestants, I'm in Sheffield and have applied 3 times to appear on the show and been rejected.

Watched now all but the last episode of season 2. 3rd is coming. Dunno when.

I like it. Mixture of drama and comedy. Sure Sam feels a bit TOO stereotypical, but hey, it is fiction movie, not a documentary. I really dislike his mom, dad is ok and sister too. Shahid(?) is also funny.

There are times I can relate to Sam and then there are times that I can't. I for example do not take things as literaly. Or get as easily overwhelmed by external stimulus.

Has anyone watch the show Atypical on Netflix about the boy on the autism spectrum? The newest season just came out, I watched the entire season on Saturday! If you've watched it, what are your thoughts, opinions, criticisms?

I think it's a cute and entertaining show. It can be a bit inauthentic at times but I think Sam does a good job playing his character- even though he's not on the spectrum. However I do wish he was on the spectrum, it kind of bothers me that he's not actually autistic, but at least the show includes kids on the spectrum. I think they do a pretty good job showing how he thinks more visually, literally and rigidly compared to everyone else and they show how sensory things affect him sometimes although I think they could've done a better job portraying this. The camera just zooms into a close up of his face kind of frozen while he's overwhelmed by sounds, but they don't ever show him having a melt down, he just gets irritable- which is still common on the spectrum.

At first I felt like the show took the typical approach to an Autistic character, but Sam grew on me. Though this season was a bit of mess, Sam's moments were nice and I like the family dynamics and his brother-sister relationship with Casey.

I've seen all three seasons after binge watching the recently released season 3. I liked the first two seasons much more than the third one. My favorite parts of season 2 were the group meetings Sam had with other autistic peers that were played by real actors with autism. I replayed every group scene many times to just watch those scenes, so much so that my kids have those scenes memorized.

I wonder if there will be any additional seasons. They kind of wrapped up most story lines in my opinion so it's possible they could just leave it at that.

I'm looking forward to a show that's apparently in works right now that will be out on Amazon Prime and will be an American version of an Israeli show called "On The Spectrum". It's going to be made by the producer of Parenthood if I recall correctly.

A friend of mine recommended the show to me, and I watched the first episode of season one last weekend. Most movies and shows featuring an autistic person portray him/her as either a quirky, hilarious weirdo or as a heartbreaking burden to family and friends—or both. Atypical is no exception. Autistic people are only visible and relevant when we’re entertaining the NT half of society. We’re to be laughed at and/or pitied. Atypical gets a thumbs down from me! The only movie I’ve ever seen that doesn’t do this is Mozart and the Whale.

New Threads

Top Bottom