• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

some people say it is a horrible representation, but for some reason I was able to identify with the main character quite well. He has a lot of the habits i do, and I was glad to see an autistic character in the media. I think it is impossible to perfectly represent people on the spectrum since no one's condition is exactly the same. therefore, any representation is a stereotype.

I watched the first episode, didn't like it. I can see what they tried to do, and I can see they didn't intend to make fun of people on the spectrum, but to me it did feel that way. It seemed like they were just trying to check all the boxes of what an autistic person should be like according to them, and that should make us laugh. Plus, there's quite some bad acting going on imo.

I haven't seen it, and for once I'm tempted to trust the judgement of the people here so much that I won't try to see for myself.
That being said, I'm going to hold on to that review provided by Judge, because I know someone who thinks they're writing a show on autism, but they're just going by a list of stereotypes (and they're not even the "proper" ASD stereotypes). It's making me very angry & that's a good weapon to help them fix their project.

A quick clip that stuck with me from Judges article:

"Another time, when trying to seduce his own therapist (ick), he breaks into her house by sneaking into an open window. Elsewhere, he humiliates his girlfriend by proclaiming that he doesn’t love her in front of her entire family. These aren’t classic signs of autism — they’re violent, creepy, cruel and make the autistic character seem like a monster."

This is what upsets me... I don't think this is in anyway typical actions of ASD. It certainly isn't for me.
I very well mind my own business, and I'm not some sex freak that goes creeping on people... thats jus not right to allow people to just think this is "normal" when its not... Why do this? It only makes things worse for people like us...

I haven't seen it, but now I have no plans to watch it.

I'm sure that if we look hard enough, we will find some persons with ASD that act as depicted; but I'm also sure it's not ASD that's making them act like that, but some other personality or mental issue. ASD isn't a magical pill against other conditions, sadly.

I agree with Chance that's it's just making things worse for people like us, such depictions only serve to further purport inaccurate stereotypes & bring on additional stigma (how long has it been since I last spoke about my former boss who thought autism meant I might bring a shotgun to work and kill everyone there? Guns aren't even legal where I live, so good luck getting one).

Maybe it's too soon for that, but has there been a number of people taking a hard stand against the show yet?

I'm sure that if we look hard enough, we will find some persons with ASD that act as depicted; but I'm also sure it's not ASD that's making them act like that, but some other personality or mental issue. ASD isn't a magical pill against other conditions, sadly.

I agree with Chance that's it's just making things worse for people like us, such depictions only serve to further purport inaccurate stereotypes & bring on additional stigma (how long has it been since I last spoke about my former boss who thought autism meant I might bring a shotgun to work and kill everyone there? Guns aren't even legal where I live, so good luck getting one).

Maybe it's too soon for that, but has there been a number of people taking a hard stand against the show yet?

The Colorado shootings, they are blaming that on Autism... I will see if I can find that old article. I think it was Colorado... I take that back till I find it

Quite a damning criticism of this show coming from someone on the spectrum. Luckily for me, I don't have Netflix. :)

"With a dull plot and strictly stock main character, you won't even notice when 'Atypical' fails to do autism right"

Netflix’s “Atypical” is offensive, but that’s not its real problem

Judge I went back to this... Did you read the comments? If not you might not want too. Its pretty sad really. Peoples true colors come out really quick, the first one actually.

Judge I went back to this... Did you read the comments? If not you might not want too. Its pretty sad really. Peoples true colors come out really quick, the first one actually.
Yup, the comment section shows how much of a long way to go it is. I need to remind myself that people expressing their opinion online outside of AC are less... more... umm, how can I put it? They're just crazy & hateful, really. And we're supposed to be the "non-normal" ones (if that's being normal, I don't want it).
I take it you saw that "Because that's how autistic people are" comment, too?

Haven't seen it. Not going to. I hate them getting away with the harm to us all. This kind of stuff is what makes us targets. I would like to see a class action lawsuit when somebody does this to us. How can we make it happen?

Yup, the comment section shows how much of a long way to go it is. I need to remind myself that people expressing their opinion online outside of AC are less... more... umm, how can I put it? They're just crazy & hateful, really. And we're supposed to be the "non-normal" ones (if that's being normal, I don't want it).
I take it you saw that "Because that's how autistic people are" comment, too?

It just hurts... because I don't think I ever asked to be Autistic, or OCD, or have Tourettes, panic attacks or any of the other stuff... Maybe I wanted to be a decent human being and this is how GOD knew he could help me do that... I don't want to be like them. A hateful monster is the last thing I ever want to be.

I feel sorry for them actually and I don't even know why.

It just hurts... because I don't think I ever asked to be Autistic, or OCD, or have Tourettes, panic attacks or any of the other stuff... Maybe I wanted to be a decent human being and this is how GOD knew he could help me do that... I don't want to be like them. A hateful monster is the last thing I ever want to be.

I feel sorry for them actually and I don't even know why.
I know. :(
I guess you feel sorry for them because they are a sorry excuse for a human being, but that's probably me being overly literal.
Don't worry about maybe wanting to be a decent human being, though, because from what I see, you've succeeded at that already, much more so than these so-called "normal" people filled with hate. That's a pretty big victory over them, don't you think?

I know. :(
I guess you feel sorry for them because they are a sorry excuse for a human being, but that's probably me being overly literal.
Don't worry about maybe wanting to be a decent human being, though, because from what I see, you've succeeded at that already, much more so than these so-called "normal" people filled with hate. That's a pretty big victory over them, don't you think?

I hope so but sometimes I just feel just like what they called me...
Today was just one of those days where I messed up and I'm not real happy with myself... but it will pass

Thank you for the kind words : )

Hey, don't let someone's perception become your reality [I swear I'm not copying lines from a rejected script for The Matrix].

I'm sure most of us here have those days; it might not make them easier to handle, but maybe it can help make you feel more at ease with the idea that while they are part of our make up, those days don't diminish our value our skills.

As for the unbearability of some of our/your traits, it also comes down to perception, but our/your own, this time: some of my traits can either be my biggest assest, or biggest shackles, depending on which perspective I look at them with. I just need to remind myself more often to see them as a stepping stone, not the cobble that people could crack my skull with. They're still heavy and blunt, but the purpose is different ;)

I'm sorry for the analogies, sometimes that's the only way I can express my ideas, easier to identify & discuss objects than feelings.

I've seen it. And for something called Atypical, it was a typical depiction of Asperger's syndrome in the media. Like The Accountant was. I didn't really dislike it, but I can see how it can be insulting at times, because the main character doesn't really come across as sympathetic. The show does try to educate, it's just not subtle about it.

Anyone watched the TV show Atypical? Good or bad representation of ASD?
As some people mentioned, the acting is often lacking. I saw 5 episodes of the show and still really liked it. I have Asperger's and my brothers both have ASD, so everywhere we turned there were characters like us, which is quite unusual. This is good representation in my book. It includes such specific situations and behaviors that I wonder if some of the writers have Asperger's/autism themselves, or a family member with it.

I am watching the show currently. My mom actually started watching it as a way to better understand me, despite my lack of a diagnosis.

I don't think it's a terrible terrible, but it isn't exactly nuanced or visionary either. Sam (the protagonist) is very much a paint-by-numbers HFA stock character. His inability to understand social cues and norms is taken to the extreme, and yet he somehow holds a part time job in retail.

One thing I do like about the show is that even though it centers on the main character's differences everyone else is just as "crazy" as he is, if not more so. The jokes involving Sam's autism are more about the awkward misunderstandings arising from his interactions. The comedy pertaining to other characters plays out in much the same way, with differences in point of view and communication style leading to awkward situations.

I will agree that the extreme insensitivity exhibited by Sam may lead people to believe that all people on the spectrum are like that. I don't think this is as much an issue with his portrayal as it is the lack of examples audiences have to draw from. It is perhaps odd to suggest that TV needs more autistic characters, but if the public were presented with a larger range of realistically depicted spectrumites.

I do see quit a bit of myself in Sam. The first shot of him shows him stiming with a rubber band and talking about how it helps him keep calm. Meanwhile, I was sitting there feverishly bending a length of Twiddle 3D back and fourth. The moment when he pulled out a bed and started pacing around it caused my mom to exclaim, "Oh my God! That's you!" There were many other small examples. At the same time, he did things I would never do, like breaking into someones house, or idolizing that fool at the computer store.

All and all, I think it's fairly mediocre. It could use a more nuanced portrayal and be more mindful of how it might contribute to negative stereotypes. I might come back after I have watched the rest of the series and provide some final thoughts.

Atypical is a tv series that recently aired on Netflix. Thanks to AdultAspie69 for mentioning it in the thread "Emotions and logic - is it me?".

There are so far only eight episodes released, I watched them all in less than a day, thought it was great. I've never been so able to identify with a character in television. I recommend it as entertainment for anyone (adult), I hope that I can convince NT's I know to watch it as a source of information about those of us on the spectrum. Possibly it will be valuable to us on the spectrum as well, it follows the efforts of a youth with ASD to get a girlfriend. He has help from understanding NT's, much more help than many of us will have had.

New Threads

Top Bottom