• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you "noticeably autistic"?

Hylian

Fellow DbD Enjoyer
V.I.P Member
Is it apparent to other people that you have autism, or less specifically something "wrong" with you?

I can tell that other people know something is "wrong" with me because they react to me like they think I'm odd, and sometimes people avoid interacting with me due to it. I also get stared at sometimes.

People have treated me like this my whole life and it can frustrate me. I usually don't know why people are reacting like that since I try to act "normal", so it makes me self conscious and want to avoid interacting with others.

I don’t think most people’s first impression of me is “autism,” but “something wrong”- definitely.

Irl I try to avoid interacting with people who are judgmental right off the bat, or who have incompatible personalities.
Chances are, someone who has an air of superiority or thinks they’re “cool” or better than everyone, is not going to want to hang out with me anyway.

People aren't always being mean to me, they often just obviously don't know how to react to me or my interactions with them. When I was a kid it wasn't as bad, but as I've gotten older it happens more and more often.

The only people who don't necessarily react like this are kids and other autistic people. A lot of allistic adults seem baffled towards me. Not everyone is like that, but the people who aren't like that usually have autistic family members or have worked with autistic people.

I can mask it for some time, but as the level of interactions increase I move from OK to introvert/cold person. As weeks or months of interaction pass I may look as arrogant/weird. So its a game of making many short interactions that I know how to play and avoid long interactions with complicated social rules. Something like that.

If I interact with people over an extended period they begin to sense that there's something different. Often people use "different" and "bad" interchangeably so I rub some people the wrong way. Some people think I'm a good target for taking advantage of. I doubt that any of them would have applied the label autistic. That would require some degree of awareness, far more than most people have. Mostly I just seem strange.

I've found that the older I get the less anyone else cares.

Is it apparent to other people that you have autism, or less specifically something "wrong" with you?

I can tell that other people know something is "wrong" with me because they react to me like they think I'm odd, and sometimes people avoid interacting with me due to it. I also get stared at sometimes.

People have treated me like this my whole life and it can frustrate me. I usually don't know why people are reacting like that since I try to act "normal", so it makes me self conscious and want to avoid interacting with others.
As others have said, people pick up on my being different or weird. and then rejecting me or shoving me aside. This applies for my entire life. Only three people I am aware of have picked up on my autism. Two were a couple with a classic asperger son. The other was a job search counselor who arranged for me to be evaluated. No mental health professional has picked up on it without having been told first.

Not at first glance, but after spending time in my company, ones say they notice traits coming out. But, when very agitated, they do not take time to come forth and thus, quite evident. However, I am a homebody and thus, rarely get to meet people in person.

But, to look at, no, I do not look visably on the autism spectrum. I sense that ones who do look autistic, are inclined to be closer to classic autism.

No. I didn't even know until my mid to late 30s. People knew something was different, I have been called eccentric many times. A likeable weirdo is probably my favorite.

No - It takes a long time for people to realise that there is something amiss. There are signs but they are easily missed which is perhaps why I was not diagnosed till I was 65

I don't believe so. Though I know people pick up on my being introverted.
Same. Then the more they get to know me I drop the barriers and they see my true self. Or, if I have a meltdown. However, I can’t fool those who are familiar with ASD and notice the signs.

I’m sure people think I’m weird. That’s probably why I have trouble making friends. I always act kind and friendly around people. Yet there are probably things I do I’m not aware of that make people think I’m weird. Then they’re turned off and don’t want to get to know me.

If I interact with people over an extended period they begin to sense that there's something different. Often people use "different" and "bad" interchangeably so I rub some people the wrong way. Some people think I'm a good target for taking advantage of. I doubt that any of them would have applied the label autistic. That would require some degree of awareness, far more than most people have. Mostly I just seem strange.

I've found that the older I get the less anyone else cares.
How do you deal with the sense of vulnerability that comes from knowing how easy it is for others to take advantage of us due to how our brain is wired.

I'm not obviously autistic until I open my mouth. Then I just get stared at while everyone shifts about uncomfortably. The longer the interactions go, the more I get pushed away for not fitting in. So frustrating. I just want to actually connect!!

I’m generally a bit quirky but not to the point that people notice that I’m not normal. My autistic side is relatively under control to the point I can interact with others on a somewhat normal level and I only act out if I’m under a lot of stress or triggered by something happening around me such as loud noises. And the way I see it there is no actual “normal” as what is normal for one person might not be for someone else.

no, even my therapist (but he has no clue of autism) and other people were convinced "that I can not have autism." and most people say to me when I say that I have autism, that I don´t look like that and that they wouldn´t knew it, when I not said it.

only when I face situations I don´t knew so far or when I´m overstrained in conversations, then I feel maybe weird to people, because I struggle to cope with the situation, where others don´t have problems.

or when relationships get deep, then I struggle, but I work on it.

most of my social problems that come from autism are "hidden", people only realize/have to do with them, when someone are close to me usually. they are not obvious, except a few situations where I overshared and scandalized.

How do you deal with the sense of vulnerability that comes from knowing how easy it is for others to take advantage of us due to how our brain is wired.
Hi and Welcome @logos

Glad to see you have jumped straight in.
Do hang around a bit and get to knowe us better.

New Threads

Top Bottom