• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are we all sensitive to noise?(partial rant)

Ameriblush

Violin player.
Aspie here...who can never have another family day at her house ever again because of something she did.

I only discovered last summer how sensitive I am to sound, and it was disastrous. My family was having a big Labor Day cookout that invited almost half of my maternal side to our house. It became incredibly hot, loud, and cramped,(our house is very small) and everybody was constantly talking over each other and cutting conversations off.

To make matters worse, there were 4 kids, all aged 6 and under, running loose and running in/out the house constantly. They would scream, throw things, fight, spill food, and trip over adults constantly. The mother of two children was on facebook the entire time and ignore her two children, even when one if them needed a diaper change, and even when the older child stuck her finger down the younger, diaper-wearing one's throat and almost choked her.

The other two children were rowdy boys who ran around the neighborhood (a foreign neighborhood they have never lived in, mind you) and harassed pets, threw rocks and pine cones, ran into the street near oncoming cars, and ignored the adults. At one point, they even brought a random child of the street to use the bathroom, and later that day there was a mass freakout when one boy went missing, then later discovered to be hiding under my bed upstairs (where they're not allowed to go). What makes this worse was that they made ME the one to watch them since the parents were too busy talking.

At this point, I was so irritated that I didn't want anybody to touch me or talk to me. I sat in the corner, and I shoved anybody who tried to hug me. Whenever I tried to ask a question, no one would hear me because my voice is too quiet, or they wouldn't acknowledge me when I spoke to them, so I would get agitated and repeat something over and over again louder and louder until they snapped and screamed,"I heard you the first time!!!"

I tried to go upstairs, but I couldn't get away from the noise. I closed my doors, turned on music, talked to my parents, turned machines on, nothing worked. Whenever I heard the smallest screech of a child or an adult screaming at them to sit down, shut up, then beating them repeatedly, I thought my brain would slowly leak out my ears. I even when out to the car, drove a bit, called my therapist, but I was still insanely angry and rabid.

I decided to wait until everyone left to see if I would calm down. I had spent the last 2 hours in my room ripping paper, smashing objects, and throwing things to try and cope. But when they left, the rage stayed. I felt that the only way to get rid of my anger was to scream at them and insult every person that irritated me, but they had left! How can I berate them now???

Facebook. I usually hated social media, but I needed an outlet. I know how wrong it is to air your dirty laundry. You can tell me how dumb it is until you're blue in the face. I didn't care. If I didn't expel that rage, I'd either have a panic attack and end up in the hospital, or kill someone and end up in prison. I tagged all the people there and ranted and insulted each one. I got dozens of messages telling me I'm a monster, psycho, etc, my family members threatened to beat me to a pulp.

And I simply responded that I would gladly do the same if they ever showed up to me door again. I had no emotions, I didn't care what people thought of me, and I was even getting a disturbing thrill from the rage being let out for once. My aunt had returned to tell me how cruel and sick I was, and when I responded that I didn't care, she called me broken and psychotic, then left.

That night, I deleted my facebook account, not out of shame, but out of the fear of employers finding my rants. I didn't regret what I did, either. It was only until later that I realized that something as mundane as noise had turned me into a sociopath willing to hurt people because they talked too loudly. And I fear the day I finally snap and hurt somebody I care about. These days, I don't talk to the family. I apologized, but in the flattest voice possible. I was more concerned with making sure this didn't get in the way of my forward path. But having no regrets isn't always a good thing, especially when you get upset by noise.

I don't know what to do now. And I don't know how am I going to live my life in a noisy world. I just hope I'm not alone.

You aren't alone. And no, it's not easy. Sometimes conditions are favorable to our hearing sensitivities, and sometimes not at all. Sometimes our tolerance prevails, and other times we may just lose it.

Where often we are left with only the choices of "fight or flight". Or to hope someone peels me off the ceiling as the result of a screeching toddler.

With some consideration to purchasing devices like ear protectors with high noise reduction ratings or often expensive but efficient wireless noise-cancelling headphones.

Could be worse. Try dealing with it all on top of having tinnitus. Constant ringing of one or both ears. :eek:

I am sensitive to noise - it causes stress, increases anxiety, and can even tip me over into panic attacks.

Protect your silence however much you can - ear plugs, headphones, avoidance. If noise affects you drastically, then drastic measures are justified. Maybe you can learn to adjust to noisy environments through increasing levels/times of exposure if you'd like....

As for the Facebook stuff....you could try explaining the issue.....but I'm not sure they'd understand.

Sometimes when I put people off with my Aspie traits, it makes me embarrassed or sad, but it also makes me realize...good riddance, that worked out for the best anyway! if I bothered them, or they bothered me, maybe we need the space.

Definitely sensitive to noise, especially human-made one. Like my roommate. She came back home almost 4 hours ago. Talking through phone since then. Ah, sorry. Talking-texting because this is what she does. She records her voice and sends voice messages and listens to other voice messages... Eh times two.
[rant mode off]

Sometimes I want to kill everyone around me and really, really hurt them as well. Be it because they talked to loud or sometimes even walked and used their phone too loud when I am overloaded. It's infuriating and maddening, like a drill grilling into my brain through ears, eyes, nose and I hate it.

I understand what you're going through. It's interesting how much of a sociopath-alike I can become with 'right motivation'. Not something I'm proud but I'm tired, people are annoying and I don't give a **** anymore.

Eh.

Keep tight out there.

Last edited:
I am sensitive to noise - it causes stress, increases anxiety, and can even tip me over into panic attacks.

Protect your silence however much you can - ear plugs, headphones, avoidance. If noise affects you drastically, then drastic measures are justified. Maybe you can learn to adjust to noisy environments through increasing levels/times of exposure if you'd like....

As for the Facebook stuff....you could try explaining the issue.....but I'm not sure they'd understand.

Sometimes when I put people off with my Aspie traits, it makes me embarrassed or sad, but it also makes me realize...good riddance, that worked out for the best anyway! if I bothered them, or they bothered me, maybe we need the space.

Yes.

Is there really any point in trying to tell others how you feel anyway? If they didn't go through it, they won't understand, probably they won't even try.

Maybe it sounds hopeless but I'm tired of being described as overly dramatic or as a person that overnalyses everything because - huh, that's funny - I'm not 'busy enough'.

These people o_O

I'm sorry all that happened to you. I completely understand getting irrationally angry at noise, especially when I'm stressed or trying to concentrate. I have one teacher who is very fond of humming while he waits for us to finish our assignments, and it makes it so hard to concentrate. But he's the teacher, so... can't do much about it unfortunately...

I agree with some of the other suggestions on tying to get earphones or headphones if you can, and drown it out that way. As far as your relatives go, unless they are especially understanding, (which doesn't seem to be the case) they probably won't get it if you did try to explain yourself. I'm sorry that this might have cost you your relationship with them, that really sucks.

Ugh, sorry if this wasn't helpful. But I do wish you luck with everything. :)

What you doing describe sounds like hell except for fire and brimstone being more pleasant. Your reaction seems reasonable, I doubt I would have done as well. Earplugs are helpful, ear buds with white noise good, too. But really, the only thing to help with a family get together like you had is never have one again. You can't possibly deserve that. So sorry you went through all that.

I have been tempted to get those noise cancelling headphones but it is concentrated rude to do so. I usually write out my feelings in an online journal so they don't boil up in anger. I've learned that explaining myself doesn't help nor do they care at all.

The last time I was invited to something like that I had a meltdown just thinking about it and my wife and I had a last minute Thanksgiving dinner by ourselves. Earplugs, blinders, and benzos would be the only way I could have made it through one as bad as you describe, and I would have felt violated and probably cried knowing that they had been mucking about in my room.

I don't know how I made it through high school without killing someone for the noise. That's about all I remember from it, constantly being at the edge of boiling over for all the noise and having to be around so many different people I didn't know.

I keep musicians' earplugs on my keyring now. I couldn't live without them. I recommend you do the same.

The Facebook business was a bit over the top (not implying I wouldn't have gone over myself), but your family needs to understand that you have special needs and that the situation was unacceptable to you.

Just you describing that maddening scene nearly set me off. I find it interesting that you were called psychotic when their own behaviour was downright unhinged. Have these people lost the plot?

What an absolute nightmare and I would also escape to the sanctity of my bedroom!

Noise we choose is one thing; but noise that is inflicted on us, is quite another thing.

i have found that being 'highly sensitive' is easier to explain to people than being on the spectrum is.

I don't like groups of people because of the noise and the complexity of dealing with multiple people, and i have difficulty in faking interest in social chitchat. I use my aversion to noise as an explanation to avoid people and situations that do not contribute to my wellbeing.

i recently was out with family and in-laws, we were in a small waffle place, sitting together closely, it was too warm, bad acoustics with a lot of loud talkers and resonance. They know that i'm sensitive to noise, at one point i just told them i needed a few minutes, got up, and went for a short walk and came back a bit later, no one minded.

The trap i've found, is that often we are polite, we don't want to offend. We are also embarrassed about our shortcomings and are private about them. So we end up staying in uncomfortable situations until its too late, having a meltdown, and then feel extra embarrassed because everyone saw it and no one really understands why it happened and we fear judgement. Isn't it just easier to trust people near to us, ask for their understanding and try react in a timely fashion to avoid the meltdown in the first place.

I'm lucky in the sense that the noise aversion and being on the spectrum complement each other. I no longer try to be 'normal' nor do i expect to have what 'normal' people have. I actually don't want what they have, and tried to find those things that do make me happy, irrespective of what others think.

Last edited:
The trap i've found, is that often we are polite, we don't want to offend. We are also embarrassed about our shortcomings and are private about them. So we end up staying in uncomfortable situations until its too late, having a meltdown, and then feel extra embarrassed because everyone saw it and no one really understands why it happened and we fear judgement

I would certainly find a competent person to hit that nail right on the head.
I value my thumb too much.

Its avoiding the internal fight at the first sign - I guess the meltdown can be at the end of a long battle, our troops are weary and just one little extra 'straw' of noise and off we go..
People observing think it just came out of nowhere.

You should hold quiet lessons where you just basically say that,over and over till we all get it!

I'm very sensitive to noise. I am not looking forward to this Christmas, as we will have to go to my in-laws on Boxing Day and two of my sisters in law will have had babies by then. So there will be all the adults, 2 children under 10 who are ridiculously excited and two month old babies.

I've just bought mouldable earplugs but I haven't tried them as I'm nervous about them getting stuck in my ears but somebody is still letting off fireworks so I'll try

Thanks@xudo you've reminded me to put them in my memory and literally I can turn my head and I forget so if anybody is reading this don't avoid doing anything about stress or you could end up like me

the easiest way to overwhelm me is with noise. as i type this, i am sitting in a loud part of my school, where thirty different people are talking and whining and complaining at once. sometimes i can block it out, but at other times i just find a corner to curl up in and try to ignore it. i hate crowds, and especially family gatherings because i have nothing in common with the people there. I think a lot of us have the potential to snap and go off on others if we are having a massive meltdown. sometimes when it is really bad, i have been reffered to as "emotionally abusive" by my family members, so if i was in that situation i would've done (probably) much worse. i find it really annoying when i lose all control of my emotions and desperately want to calm down, but people around me see it is me being irrational, stupid, and cruel. maybe one day when asd becomes more mainstream, meltdowns will be treated more like panic attacks rather than "bad behaviour" or "a personality flaw"

I just want to also assure you that you are not alone, and that I'm very sorry you had to deal with all of that from your own family members. It was *not* your fault.

This is coming from someone who endured a meltdown with serious SIB due to noise (among other triggers) nearly two weeks ago and is still feeling the after-effects.

the easiest way to overwhelm me is with noise. as i type this, i am sitting in a loud part of my school, where thirty different people are talking and whining and complaining at once. sometimes i can block it out, but at other times i just find a corner to curl up in and try to ignore it. i hate crowds, and especially family gatherings because i have nothing in common with the people there. I think a lot of us have the potential to snap and go off on others if we are having a massive meltdown. sometimes when it is really bad, i have been reffered to as "emotionally abusive" by my family members, so if i was in that situation i would've done (probably) much worse. i find it really annoying when i lose all control of my emotions and desperately want to calm down, but people around me see it is me being irrational, stupid, and cruel. maybe one day when asd becomes more mainstream, meltdowns will be treated more like panic attacks rather than "bad behaviour" or "a personality flaw"
I bet they wouldn't say anything negative about you if you had cancer and you said you wanted to sleep what we have is just not accepted

I just hope I'm not alone.

You are certainly not alone. What you describe is about as classic an example of sensory overload resulting in a level of stress that caused a meltdown. As an Aspie, you can no more control it than you can control the weather.

We're not all hyper-sensitive to sensory input, but it's hard to imagine many Aspies in the family gathering environment that you described, not suffering markedly, and at the very least, needing a lengthy period of quiet isolation to come back down afterwards, and most of us in your situation would overload and meltdown as you did.

We're all different, so how those symptoms manifest themselves externally in each of us may well not be the same as you, but I'd bet the vast majority of us who read your post will have thought, 'been there, done that'.

It's important to remember that in that overload, it can take a long time to come back down, even in ideal circumstances. By retreating to your room you made the attempt to exert some control, but the nightmare followed you anyway. Your family members should be asking themselves what made them think it was OK to put you through that, rather than call you names. Clearly something was wrong, and it isn't in the way you reacted, but what pushed you to that extreme in the first place.

If I were you, I'd leave them alone. What they did once, they will readily repeat given the chance, and the ignorance.

Best of luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom