• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MariaX

The reason I am making this is because after a few short replies to a previous post of mine, I decided to list out some of my biggest 'symptoms' that I tend to notice. I myself am only a Junior in high school and I feel as though I do not know enough about this to be able to self diagnose myself, even though I have done a lot of research. I was wondering if any of you guys had any insight as to what you may think of this. Thank you ^^

I have always been an anxious person. It was only when I started high school that I began to get very stressed out to the point where I basically had anxiety (which makes sense because my mom also has very bad anxiety that got worse during her teen years). But apart from school I have always been bad at social situations and communication. I have never made friends that easily which is surprising because sometimes I enjoy other people, especially new people. I find them fascinating and a lot of the times I do this thing where I like to "study" them. Everybody is so different and I like figuring out what makes these people different and unique. I guess, in a way, it has been what helped me get through social situations because I sometimes catch myself mimicking these characteristics that I see others find appealing in people. I have been told by my friends that I sort of "morph" into a slightly different version of them, if that makes sense. At this point, overall I come off as a very normal person. Even so, when I come across social situations with people I do not know I get very frustrated because I cannot keep a conversation going and sometimes I don't even want to. Especially right now because I don't like being in very large groups.

That brings me to another point. My parents often times drag me to these huge parties their friends throw and they love it, but I absolutely despise it. The amount of people is way too much for me to handle because of all the different sounds and conversations that are going on at the same time, and I can't keep track of it all. And it gets very very loud and I do not like that. Overall, it just makes me feel very overwhelmed and frustrated.

Along with this, even though I do really love spending time with my friends, sometimes even that get's a little too much. When this happens I like to be left alone to just do my own thing. To recuperate. Recently my mom has been coming home early because she had minor surgery where she previously stayed home for a whole two weeks, and now it has been almost three weeks that I have not gotten many moments alone. I feel bad because I love my mom and she just wants to spend time with me, but I really just want to be left alone for now.

Those are some of the biggest symptom like things I have noticed so far but here are a few other things that go on:
- I tend to always find something to be very "obsessed" over. These periods don't last very long though, usually between 1-6 months before I find something new to absorb myself in.
- I am not particular fascinated by numbers but for some reason I am very good at memorizing birthdays.
- I have recently been good at memorizing a lot of thing actually, almost like a photographic memory. Almost, but not really. It's really weird though because this a very recent thing that has been happening. My memory was usually just normal before. I don't know if this is relevant but I added it anyways.
- It is hard for me to pay attention in school. Always has been, hence the ADHD diagnosis. It just never interfered with school before high school because I everything before high school was very easy for me so I didn't need to pay attention.
- I have been having severe migraines with an aura for 3 years now (it started freshman year of high school). I get them anywhere between 1-4 times a month. We still do not yet know my exact triggers, but my doctor believes they may be triggered by an occasional sensitivity to light and/or sound. I read that aspies can sometimes be sensitive to light and/or sound.
- Sometimes I feel 'normal'. Other times I literally feel like an alien compared to every one else. People can just be too confusing sometimes lmao.

I now realize this is a very long post, and I am sorry for that. I tend to rant sometimes. Even though it seems like this all may be symptoms on the surface, the more I think about them the more invalid I feel as though they become, which is why I am confused as to what the heck is going on with me.
Thank You for your help in advance ^^

From reading your post it's a bit difficult for me to tell whether or not you could have ASD, but what it sounds like is an anxiety/stress disorder. That could explain the migraines and some of the other symptoms you're describing.

From reading your post it's a bit difficult for me to tell whether or not you could have ASD, but what it sounds like is an anxiety/stress disorder. That could explain the migraines and some of the other symptoms you're describing.
It could be stress. It could be both. The reason I question the whole anxiety thing is because I'm usually not anxious for no reason (which is what happens a lot to people with anxiety). It is usually always because of school. During the summer I am completely stress free. Yet I still experience the majority of my symptoms. But I am looking to see a doctor about this. I do not trust myself to self diagnose. I am too confused about this entire thing.

It could be stress. It could be both. The reason I question the whole anxiety thing is because I'm usually not anxious for no reason (which is what happens a lot to people with anxiety). It is usually always because of school. During the summer I am completely stress free. Yet I still experience the majority of my symptoms. But I am looking to see a doctor about this. I do not trust myself to self diagnose. I am too confused about this entire thing.
Yeah it's best to see a doctor about it. I myself am trying to schedule an appointment for an assessment to get an official diagnosis.

Not sure how that will help but it's some clarity at least

Welcome to the forum! I'm also struggling to understand myself; I have tentatively self-diagnosed myself as having Asperger's, but am trying to get a professional diagnosis too.

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you for sure if you have Asperger's/autism. Carry on resesarching, and come to a conclusion for yourself that you feel happy with. Reach out to a healthcare professional if you want to (though be aware that diagnosis is a very difficult process).

I've found this forum to be great for just reading about other people's experiences, it's given me more confidence in my self-diagnosis because I can relate so much to others here. Hopefully you'll find it a good source of support as well.

I also have anxiety (OCD) and migraine, so I feel your pain! My migraine triggers are dehydration, hunger, and heat. Do you experience visual stress from reading at all? I ask because I'm wondering if coloured lenses might help with your migraine. Visual stress (e.g. finding bright light stressful, as you mention) can be a significant cause of migraine. You can have an analysis done using a colourimeter at an optometrists/hospital that will find the optimal tint for you to reduce visual stress, and so headaches. Or, you can play around with your computer screen settings to see if having it more orange or blue, for example, makes it feel more comfortable to look at. Peach is my optimal tint. Maybe something to consider.

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you for sure if you have Asperger's/autism.

Absolutely agreed.

Obviously, only a doctor could diagnose you, but it could be that it's Generalised Anxiety. I have GAD, and have anxiety for absolutely no reason. I also suffer from anxiety from certain things/situations/stress or whatever, but I can also experience anxiety for literally no reason whatsoever.

No I know no one can diagnose me. I'm just looking for some tips and advice ^^
Absolutely agreed.

Obviously, only a doctor could diagnose you, but it could be that it's Generalised Anxiety. I have GAD, and have anxiety for absolutely no reason. I also suffer from anxiety from certain things/situations/stress or whatever, but I can also experience anxiety for literally no reason whatsoever.

No I know no one can diagnose me. I'm just looking for some tips and advice ^^

Yeah, which I wanted to give but not come across like I was trying to say "oh you absolutely sound like you have this". Just wanted to suggest why your anxiety may not go away when you're feeling less stressed.

Welcome to the forum! I'm also struggling to understand myself; I have tentatively self-diagnosed myself as having Asperger's, but am trying to get a professional diagnosis too.

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you for sure if you have Asperger's/autism. Carry on resesarching, and come to a conclusion for yourself that you feel happy with. Reach out to a healthcare professional if you want to (though be aware that diagnosis is a very difficult process).

I've found this forum to be great for just reading about other people's experiences, it's given me more confidence in my self-diagnosis because I can relate so much to others here. Hopefully you'll find it a good source of support as well.

I also have anxiety (OCD) and migraine, so I feel your pain! My migraine triggers are dehydration, hunger, and heat. Do you experience visual stress from reading at all? I ask because I'm wondering if coloured lenses might help with your migraine. Visual stress (e.g. finding bright light stressful, as you mention) can be a significant cause of migraine. You can have an analysis done using a colourimeter at an optometrists/hospital that will find the optimal tint for you to reduce visual stress, and so headaches. Or, you can play around with your computer screen settings to see if having it more orange or blue, for example, makes it feel more comfortable to look at. Peach is my optimal tint. Maybe something to consider.
That's really interesting. I never knew that they even did that for migraines. I'm usually more sensitive to sound than light but you never know.

That's really interesting. I never knew that they even did that for migraines. I'm usually more sensitive to sound than light but you never know.

Most people don't, I only know because I study visual stress & migraine as part of my PhD :)

If you're not sure what your triggers are, you could always try keeping a journal of when your migraines happen and think about what you were doing at the time you noticed it starting. This is how I identified my triggers.

Your post sounds pretty much exactly like the way I was as a teen. I'm not kidding, it's almost creepy. The good news is, the anxiety, the social skills, all of that, it can all get better. I'm 31 now and I have quite a lot of friends, who understand that I'm unavailable sometimes when I'm a bit overstimulated.

Is this where I am supposed to reply? There isn't a place that I see to reply except here above your post.
I am the mother of a son with some of the symptoms you have. I just want to say that I have observed his behaviors for over 40 years and he does not let symptoms bother him. He has adjusted to being a "different normal" and is happy with the life he has made for himself. He also does not like to be around people much. His mind is always running too, so being alone is more quieting for him. He doesn't feel the need to make friends... they would probably want him to be social. He will interact socially on occasion when someone fascinates him, like an 82 year old classy lady one time. He went to all her parties of older people and asked the people there a lot of questions. He lived alone most of his adult life, but has shared a condo with me for past 6 years, because of too high rents. Since I know his needs, we communicate infrequently and I let him come to me if he wants to say something. He comes and goes from home without telling me, which I accept as normal for him and let him talk to whomever he is talking to, even when there is no one in the house.
He spends most of his time researching on his computer: He does exactly the same as you wrote: "I tend to always find something to be very "obsessed" over. These periods don't last very long though, usually between 1-6 months before I find something new to absorb myself in."
Just think of yourself as a "different normal" and you don't need to be diagnosed. My son never fit in any of the "catagories" He is just himself and I love him just the way he is.
Joanwrites

The reason I am making this is because after a few short replies to a previous post of mine, I decided to list out some of my biggest 'symptoms' that I tend to notice. I myself am only a Junior in high school and I feel as though I do not know enough about this to be able to self diagnose myself, even though I have done a lot of research. I was wondering if any of you guys had any insight as to what you may think of this. Thank you ^^

I have always been an anxious person. It was only when I started high school that I began to get very stressed out to the point where I basically had anxiety (which makes sense because my mom also has very bad anxiety that got worse during her teen years). But apart from school I have always been bad at social situations and communication. I have never made friends that easily which is surprising because sometimes I enjoy other people, especially new people. I find them fascinating and a lot of the times I do this thing where I like to "study" them. Everybody is so different and I like figuring out what makes these people different and unique. I guess, in a way, it has been what helped me get through social situations because I sometimes catch myself mimicking these characteristics that I see others find appealing in people. I have been told by my friends that I sort of "morph" into a slightly different version of them, if that makes sense. At this point, overall I come off as a very normal person. Even so, when I come across social situations with people I do not know I get very frustrated because I cannot keep a conversation going and sometimes I don't even want to. Especially right now because I don't like being in very large groups.

That brings me to another point. My parents often times drag me to these huge parties their friends throw and they love it, but I absolutely despise it. The amount of people is way too much for me to handle because of all the different sounds and conversations that are going on at the same time, and I can't keep track of it all. And it gets very very loud and I do not like that. Overall, it just makes me feel very overwhelmed and frustrated.

Along with this, even though I do really love spending time with my friends, sometimes even that get's a little too much. When this happens I like to be left alone to just do my own thing. To recuperate. Recently my mom has been coming home early because she had minor surgery where she previously stayed home for a whole two weeks, and now it has been almost three weeks that I have not gotten many moments alone. I feel bad because I love my mom and she just wants to spend time with me, but I really just want to be left alone for now.

Those are some of the biggest symptom like things I have noticed so far but here are a few other things that go on:
- I tend to always find something to be very "obsessed" over. These periods don't last very long though, usually between 1-6 months before I find something new to absorb myself in.
- I am not particular fascinated by numbers but for some reason I am very good at memorizing birthdays.
- I have recently been good at memorizing a lot of thing actually, almost like a photographic memory. Almost, but not really. It's really weird though because this a very recent thing that has been happening. My memory was usually just normal before. I don't know if this is relevant but I added it anyways.
- It is hard for me to pay attention in school. Always has been, hence the ADHD diagnosis. It just never interfered with school before high school because I everything before high school was very easy for me so I didn't need to pay attention.
- I have been having severe migraines with an aura for 3 years now (it started freshman year of high school). I get them anywhere between 1-4 times a month. We still do not yet know my exact triggers, but my doctor believes they may be triggered by an occasional sensitivity to light and/or sound. I read that aspies can sometimes be sensitive to light and/or sound.
- Sometimes I feel 'normal'. Other times I literally feel like an alien compared to every one else. People can just be too confusing sometimes lmao.

I now realize this is a very long post, and I am sorry for that. I tend to rant sometimes. Even though it seems like this all may be symptoms on the surface, the more I think about them the more invalid I feel as though they become, which is why I am confused as to what the heck is going on with me.
Thank You for your help in advance ^^

New Threads

Top Bottom