• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alone on Thanksgiving

WittyAspie

V.I.P Member
If anyone else is alone on Thanksgiving and wants someone to talk to then send me a message or leave a comment. For some reason these special days on the calendar can make loneliness worse. I have suffered through depression and know how hard it can be. Don't be afraid to reach out if you need to, whether to me or someone else you trust. Even if you are used to being alone the holidays can be tough, so don't be shy. Comment, send a message, or contact someone you know if the loneliness is too much.

Right there with ya brother. With me I think it's mostly cuz it is yet another chance to look back on better days. Holidays for me are things to be endured rather than enjoyed, so I get through them however I can.

I'm alone today, too. Well, my dog is here. My husband has been gone all week to visit his family. I'm actually enjoying the solitude, because I have a gazillion things to do, and Thanksgiving dinner with lots of people whether family or friends....to me is stressful! I dread it as much as Super Bowl gatherings....and like Super Bowl, I just try not to attend. Happy to let my husband go do that on his own. Happy Thanksgiving to you :)

I'm alone today, too. Well, my dog is here. My husband has been gone all week to visit his family. I'm actually enjoying the solitude, because I have a gazillion things to do, and Thanksgiving dinner with lots of people whether family or friends....to me is stressful! I dread it as much as Super Bowl gatherings....and like Super Bowl, I just try not to attend. Happy to let my husband go do that on his own. Happy Thanksgiving to you :)

I hope you enjoyed the solitude. It's good that you have the choice. I hope no one guilts you over your decision to do what is best for you.

I hope you enjoyed the solitude. It's good that you have the choice. I hope no one guilts you over your decision to do what is best for you.
I think choice is key here....the choice to be alone, but also I have the choice to be with my husband at all other times. If I didn't have the choice of being with my husband, then I think I'd probably be at much greater risk of feeling lonely. No one has guilted me, though I have no idea what they are thinking in their heads. My husband understands completely, so that's all I care about. My dog can't be left alone and can't go to a kennel, so that was a good enough excuse, imho.

I think choice is key here....the choice to be alone, but also I have the choice to be with my husband at all other times. If I didn't have the choice of being with my husband, then I think I'd probably be at much greater risk of feeling lonely. No one has guilted me, though I have no idea what they are thinking in their heads. My husband understands completely, so that's all I care about. My dog can't be left alone and can't go to a kennel, so that was a good enough excuse, imho.

I spend most days alone, so an opportunity to be around people who care sounds like a good thing to me.

Please please please photos of your dog still trying to manage to have the camera in my hand and the cats be close enough so that I can get a photograph

Hey witty Aspie, I'm on the other side of the globe, so no thanksgiving here. I have seen footage of all the traffic jams though, and I'm thinking staying put may have been the sane thing to do! But I get how being alone on holidays is rough, having a fairly dysfunctional family.

Maybe go for a walk in a park, art gallery, museum - something you want to do. Sometimes I think the larger part of the problem is the expectations that are imposed.

Hey witty Aspie, I'm on the other side of the globe, so no thanksgiving here. I have seen footage of all the traffic jams though, and I'm thinking staying put may have been the sane thing to do! But I get how being alone on holidays is rough, having a fairly dysfunctional family.

Maybe go for a walk in a park, art gallery, museum - something you want to do. Sometimes I think the larger part of the problem is the expectations that are imposed.
I think those are nice ideas in general - but I think what's tough about Thanksgiving is that nothing is open - at least not where I am, and I would expect in most places. Just some restaurants for family dinners when nobody is hosting a their home.

No traffic problems here. The insane traffic jams are in places like LA and Chicago.

There seem to be more and more places open, especially with Black Friday sales starting earlier and earlier. Not that I would want to be out in that mess. I was rather be home alone than dealing with a mass of crazy people.

No traffic problems here. The insane traffic jams are in places like LA and Chicago.

There seem to be more and more places open, especially with Black Friday sales starting earlier and earlier. Not that I would want to be out in that mess. I was rather be home alone than dealing with a mass of crazy people.
The crazy people thing happens here a few days before Christmas and Christmas Eve, it's hard to describe -people fighting over a Turkey! .
I sort of get the feeling that people know something I don't !and they are stocking up for it !,almost like it's nuclear war -not shops are shut one day! you can go the next day.

The only person I have to be with on Holidays is the Grinch I live with. He went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving and it was horrible. The food was good, but, the place was a theme restaurant made to look like an old garage.
He liked it because he's into cars.
There are so few places open to eat on Holidays here.
The crowd and noise! Not enjoyable. Not like I grew up thinking of Thanksgiving.

I took a nap in the afternoon and had a dream of how it used to be with me and my parents. The food, the cooking, the love. Yes, I woke up depressed. I felt the grief in my dream to go home, back to that time.
Same will happen at Christmas. :emojiconfused:

Stepmom fighting cancer and might not make it his year so alone this thanksgiving my sister is helping my dad help my stepmom im at my sisters place watching her dog.

Sounds like a really rough year for your family. Sorry to hear that.
its life I hope she pulls through I dont want my dad to be lonely because i know how being alone feels but at least i can help my sister out and spend time with her dog family is family and all kennels are booked and im alone so might as well make use and keep company during these hard times.

i actually enjoy that everyone else groups together, it helps me appreciate my peace and quiet even more :)

its life I hope she pulls through I dont want my dad to be lonely because i know how being alone feels but at least i can help my sister out and spend time with her dog family is family and all kennels are booked and im alone so might as well make use and keep company during these hard times.

I hope your family has some good times together in the near future.

New Threads

Top Bottom