• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A technique that could help anyone.

What did you think of the breathing exercise (If you tried it)?

• Wow, unbelievable!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I didn't feel anything.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I didn't enjoy the experience.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
There has been a few things or people that have had a big impact in my life. Some of them were here, and hopefully you've had the chance to see and share in the great advice, wisdom, and caring moments that can happen on AC.

I wanted to mention another person who has helped me along the way. I first learned about him watching a Vice documentary. His name is Wim Hof, he holds world records for many things (including climbing mount Everest in only a pair of shorts). He is also known as The Ice Man, he holds world records for numerous cold immersion events. He has a very interesting story and hasn't let life beat him, when it very easily could have. Really he is an amazing individual.

What really helped me when I learned about Wim was learning his breathing technique. I practice it twice a day, and since starting I've felt generally better in almost every way, some ways small, some large. His breathing technique was studied scientifically and has been proven to boost our auto-immune systems, and also allows our bodies to be in a more alkaline state. It also allows a person to go without air in their lungs for up to 4 minutes. (In my case, and I am a smoker). It alleviates stress and anxiety for me. It also helps with my depression.

I don't want to make this post spectacularly long, so I will post a video with instruction by Wim on how to do his breathing exercise. If you are interested get into a comfortable place and try it. I promise you that you won't regret the experience.

Tom, I've been sick with an upper respiratory virus and just got over it. I will try the breathing exercise as I'm very intrigued by it. I have COPD so not sure if I can do it or not but want to try.

Tom, I've been sick with an upper respiratory virus and just got over it. I will try the breathing exercise as I'm very intrigued by it. I have COPD so not sure if I can do it or not but want to try.
I have suspected COPD and am awaiting tests which my doctor is messing me about with, if I'm lucky it's only asthma that is in the family and has affected other family members at various times throughout their lives, although I doubt it as an inhaler doesn't seem to help too much and that is only one of my health concerns. I didn't enjoy the experience when I started attempting the exercise because it made me aware of my breathing which makes me feel short of breath, so it's something I try to forget about as much as possible, even writing this is making me conscious of my breathing being an issue. Obviously this is an unfair test on whether the exercise truly helps or not.

If anyone else has any suggestions on overcoming this I'd be interested in trying again.

PS: I wish I could give up smoking as that's obviously by far the worst thing for breathing problems, I even gave up hard drugs and have been clean for over 12 years and I don't even drink alcohol any more, but smoking is surprisingly proving the most difficult, I've even tried vaping, but I've smoked since I was a teenager (I'm now 48).

Last edited:
I have suspected COPD and am awaiting tests which my doctor is messing me about with, if I'm lucky it's only asthma that is in the family and has affected other family members at various times throughout their lives, although I doubt it as an inhaler doesn't seem to help too much and that is only one of my health concerns. I didn't enjoy the experience when I started attempting the exercise because it made me aware of my breathing which makes me feel short of breath, so it's something I try to forget about as much as possible, even writing this is making me conscious of my breathing being an issue. Obviously this is an unfair test on whether the exercise truly helps or not.

If anyone else has any suggestions on overcoming this I'd be interested in trying again.

PS: I wish I could give up smoking as that's obviously by far the worst thing for breathing problems, I even gave up hard drugs and have been clean for over 12 years and I don't even drink alcohol any more, but smoking is surprisingly proving the most difficult, I've even tried vaping, but I've smoked since I was a teenager (I'm now 48).
Have you tried Chantix? The lowest dose helped me as it almost eliminated my cravings and I smoked at least 2 packs a day for over 40 years. I couldn't tolerate the higher or final doses of the Chantix. Quitting was the thing I was most afraid of in my life and it actually turned out to be pretty much no big deal. My mind seemed to slide off the focus on a craving within a second or two and focus on something else. I was truly astonished about this as it wasn't something I was deliberately trying to do. I only had to use the Chantix for about 10 days or less.

Last edited:
Have you tried Chantix? The lowest dose helped me as it almost eliminated my cravings and I smoked at least 2 packs a day for over 40 years. I couldn't tolerate the higher or final does of the Chantix. Quitting was the thing I was most afraid of in my life and it actually turned out to be pretty much no big deal. My mind seemed to slide off the focus on a craving within a second or two and focus on something else. I was truly astonished about this as it wasn't something I was deliberately trying to do. I only had to use the Chantix for about 10 days or less.
I live in the UK where it's a prescription only drug, there are dodgy sellers online that apparently have their own doctors that charge for a consultation fee too, but I will mention it to my NHS doctor. Thanks!

As a freediver, as my username implies. I employ a lot of breathing techniques to improve my breath-holding abilities. Definitely would reconmend this for anyone who has anxiety and sensory issues. If managed right, these breathing techniques can even help you avoid and defuse those nasty shutdown/meltdown situations.

I live in the UK where it's a prescription only drug, there are dodgy sellers online that apparently have their own doctors that charge for a consultation fee too, but I will mention it to my NHS doctor. Thanks!

When I took it, it was prescription only here in US also. I tried many times to quit unsuccessfully so don't give up. When you are ready it will happen. Just hope it's sooner rather than later for you if you are worried about your breathing. But don't give up- you can do it!!! If I can anyone can I truly believe- I was a hard core addict when smoking.

As a freediver, as my username implies. I employ a lot of breathing techniques to improve my breath-holding abilities. Definitely would reconmend this for anyone who has anxiety and sensory issues. If managed right, these breathing techniques can even help you avoid and defuse those nasty shutdown/meltdown situations.

I wondered if you were. As an ex-scuba diver I'm wondering how deep you have been?

I wondered if you were. As an ex-scuba diver I'm wondering how deep you have been?

My record is about 123 feet and I did that by carrying 3 cinder blocks down. Once you make it to the bottom. you let go of the blocks and just swim back up. I normally only do up to 60 feet and that's just using a mask and flippers. I don't use a snorkel. The main reason I freedive is to fulfill a stimming need. my favorite depth is around 45-50 feet and the pressure of the water at that depth create what I like to call, the magic weighted blanket effcet. The sensation is absolutely euphoric. If you ever saw be down there. You'd think I was an underwater ballerina having spasm attack. But that's my 2 minutes of heaven until I have to come up for air.

My record is about 123 feet and I did that by carrying 3 cinder blocks down. Once you make it to the bottom. you let go of the blocks and just swim back up. I normally only do up to 60 feet and that's just using a mask and flippers. I don't use a snorkel. The main reason I freedive is to fulfill a stimming need. my favorite depth is around 45-50 feet and the pressure of the water at that depth create what I like to call, the magic weighted blanket effcet. The sensation is absolutely euphoric. If you ever saw be down there. You'd think I was an underwater ballerina having spasm attack. But that's my 2 minutes of heaven until I have to come up for air.
Wow, that's impressive. I got down to 160' once with a dive guide but that was with a scuba tank, LOL. For me diving and snorkeling are like meditations and I'm completely happy.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the experience. I think that if you could get over being uncomfortable over your breathing, this exercise could definitely help you. It basically floods your whole body with oxygen and increases lung capacity. Thanks for giving it a shot ;)

You are absolutely correct about that good sir. Doing this exercise makes me feel so peaceful and also confident. I find it amazing how much a simple breathing technique can effect my life on almost all levels.

Have you tried Chantix? The lowest dose helped me as it almost eliminated my cravings and I smoked at least 2 packs a day for over 40 years. I couldn't tolerate the higher or final doses of the Chantix. Quitting was the thing I was most afraid of in my life and it actually turned out to be pretty much no big deal. My mind seemed to slide off the focus on a craving within a second or two and focus on something else. I was truly astonished about this as it wasn't something I was deliberately trying to do. I only had to use the Chantix for about 10 days or less.
Chantix did help me to quit smoking before a major back surgery, but gave me some nasty side effects, including some very suicidal thoughts and also inability to sleep. After taking it and quitting, I traveled back home to the USA and saw a commercial for it and one of the side effects is straight up death... Haha, not sure if I would try it again to quit smoking. They can pry my cigarettes out of my cold dead hands. I am joking about that last part, I would like to quit again, but I am operating in a very high stress environment and smoking and strangely this breathing exercise are 2 of my few reprieves from it.

I have chronic hyperventilation that annoys me to no end.
It goes along with the anxiety issue and I've never found any technique to overcome it on a daily basis.
I'll certainly try this.
I know hyperventilating only increases anxiety, but, at times it seems impossible to slow it down.
Thanks for the vid.

Thank you for posting this - I don't smoke but my partner does, and he wants to give up but hasn't found anything that works yet.

Tom, hey buddy. Thank you for bringing this interesting person to my attention. I’m finishing work at the moment but managed to set aside enough time to practice his breathing exercises. I did feel lightheaded, like my head was drowning in cool ocean waters. But I was surprised when I felt my lungs expand; felt like they increased in size. Suddenly I wasn’t as anxious for a few moments. I’ll certainly study this man’s suggestions deeper. It reminds me of the old saying that we only 10% of our brain!!

There has been a few things or people that have had a big impact in my life. Some of them were here, and hopefully you've had the chance to see and share in the great advice, wisdom, and caring moments that can happen on AC.

I wanted to mention another person who has helped me along the way. I first learned about him watching a Vice documentary. His name is Wim Hof, he holds world records for many things (including climbing mount Everest in only a pair of shorts). He is also known as The Ice Man, he holds world records for numerous cold immersion events. He has a very interesting story and hasn't let life beat him, when it very easily could have. Really he is an amazing individual.

What really helped me when I learned about Wim was learning his breathing technique. I practice it twice a day, and since starting I've felt generally better in almost every way, some ways small, some large. His breathing technique was studied scientifically and has been proven to boost our auto-immune systems, and also allows our bodies to be in a more alkaline state. It also allows a person to go without air in their lungs for up to 4 minutes. (In my case, and I am a smoker). It alleviates stress and anxiety for me. It also helps with my depression.

I don't want to make this post spectacularly long, so I will post a video with instruction by Wim on how to do his breathing exercise. If you are interested get into a comfortable place and try it. I promise you that you won't regret the experience.

Within 26 seconds of following the Wim Hof breathing method video, I entered a state of convulsions that left me battered and bruised. Recovery from the convulsions took nearly 5 hours. It was the worst experience of my life. I found this forum in my search for answers.

New Threads

Top Bottom