• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your most unusual obsession and/or interest...

Got my first Lego set at 6. Still have the thousands of pieces I've collected over the years. My daughter and I would play with them maybe 8 years ago. They're in the back corner of the garage now, would like to bring them in here sometime.

I was still playing with my Lego when I was 15 years old, my parents had to get them out of my hands and instead got me into model railway.

Since it's now 2018, it is becoming almost a hobby that the over 35s enjoy doing. I don't like having large quantities of random blocks since I don't want to be a kid anymore and enjoy Lego the grown up's way. They will stay in it's kit and I have a friend over 40 who's into making Lego anime.

I want to get more into making Lego stop/start animation now that I in deed have the equipment.

I was still playing with my Lego when I was 15 years old, my parents had to get them out of my hands and instead got me into model railway.

I had HO scale stuff for years and years. Went through 3 engines. Just nowhere to put a real setup. So I'd do things like build ramps, load up the cars with master locks, see how much it could actually get up the hill before spinning the wheels, pop out one of the driveshafts and try again.....

I have learned one or two unusual languages, such as Greek and Romanian. People find it strange that I would want to learn these languages without having any obvious connection to these countries (I am from the UK).

Round disk like things. The Wizard of Oz coin pusher is kind of fun as it has round things, and uses strategy.

Efficiency. I hate wasting my time and effort! The order of doing something can often be quite important. Sometimes being inefficient can be fun, but at least I would like to know when this is occurring (if possible).

Making profit with games. I like games, and can make a profit selling them. At GenCon last summer Cool Mini or Not had a promotion where for every $25 spent you got a ticket, and for four tickets, so $100, you could get a promo that was selling on eBay for $100+. I bought enough stuff to get sixteen of these bad-boys. I still have a bunch of stuff that I need to get around to listing before Christmas.

I suppose my most unusual interest is listening to video game music. I enjoy the music from Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600 very much.

IMO one of the greatest video game themes ever, if not THE best, is Chun Li's theme on Street Fighter 2.

That music is just so full of WIN.

Also, the theme from Tetris on the Game Boy was so cool it got to number 1 in the UK in about May 1992 when Dr Spin remixed it. Same when Ambassadors of Funk did the music from level 1 of Super Mario Land on the Game Boy in the same year.

I think I don't have any unusual obsession. I know people interested in the same stuff so I can't say unusual.

I don't know if it's unusual, but when I was younger, I loved Dumbo. Seen the movie, read the book, coloring book, a bag with Dumbo on it, 4 Dumbo toys, Dumbo flashlight and a Dumbo birthday cake. I wonder if I had clothes with Dumbo on it.

At one point, I was obsessed with models of coffee makers and their functions such as being able to connect to a water line. It should be noted that I didn’t even drink coffee at this time.

Also when I was 12, I was obsessed with is animation and methods of it such as traditional drawing animation, CGI, and stop-motion. I would spend hours researching articles about animation processes and films that use them even though I couldn’t/had no interest in drawing or animating myself. Although through researching this topic, I discovered Hayao Miyazaki movies so I guess something good came out of that.

The strangest is probably dog coat and colour genetics, I'm obsessed with them being "right" in a virtual dog game I play. Lately I've been fascinated by the grizzle gene and how it interacts with other loci, because it behaves so differently in each combination!

I know the Borzoi breed standard off by heart and, for someone who has a mutt, have a fascination with dog showing, type, physical structure (down to the angles of layback in shoulder), gaiting etc. that makes me incredibly jealous that I can't participate IRL :(

Also, the shell colour and pattern genetics of C. nemoralis snails (which I can participate in because I have them as my lodgers <3).

For as long as i can remember i've been obsessed with listening to music from Disney theme parks. A few examples would be the music that plays while you're waiting in line for pirates of the Caribbean, the entrance music for Epcot, and the soundtrack for soarin. I love music and Disney, so when you put the two together you get something that I'll go crazy for! But anyway, that's the strangest obsession of mine that i can think of.

Probably my strangest one was as a teenager in the 80s tuning into an East German radio station (behind the iron curtain) and listening to rock music.

I don’t find it unusual but my family do.
(I’ve been to the pencil museum in Keswick numerous times)

Pens and pencils and stationery.

They ask ‘why have pens you don’t use?’
I like the way it’s put together.
Balance, weight, colour, texture, shape, design and then the mechanics.
What’s happening when it’s pressed and moved on the paper/writing surface.

New Threads

Top Bottom