• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your most unusual obsession and/or interest...

Brony714

My own evil twin...
What would you say would be your most unusual interest and/or obsession? And, if you like, you can also describe how this became an interest or obsession of yours.

Since I started this thread, I'll start: Conjoined twins. Ever since I was about 4 or 5, I've been obsessed with conjoined, or Siamese, twins. I could never explain why, but the idea of two people going through life physically joined to one another has intrigued me. There have been times I wished I was a conjoined twin myself, and I've always wanted to meet a pair, particularly one that hasn't been separated.

As for where it started, it was related to another lifelong interest of mine, reading. I've always been an avid reader, it started when I taught myself to read at the age of 2(at least that's what my mom tells me). At the time, I was living in a suburb of Los Angeles, a little town called La Habra. Like a lot of suburban women around this time, my mom occasionally purchased cosmetics from the local Avon Lady, and as such, regularly received Avon catalogs. Back in the late spring/early summer of 1974, when I was 4 years old, I read just about anything and everything I could get my hands on, including my mom's Avon catalogs. I remember reading one, and seeing one page that was an ad for a skin care line called Perfect Balance. The thing I noticed about that page was what was at the top of it. A picture of two women who appeared to be joined to one another, back to back. I had never seen anything like that before, and I went to show it to my mom to ask her about it. She told me they were Siamese twins. I also distinctly remember her telling me about one particular problem that only Siamese twins would ever have: when one twin wants to eat dinner, while the other twin wants to go to bed. Her solution was for the hungry twin to eat dinner in bed. Aside from curiosity, the other reaction I remember that picture giving me was what I'll just describe as a rush of blood located somewhere below my waist. Ever since seeing that picture, I've been intrigued by the idea of being joined to another person, as well as having a lifelong obsession with Siamese twins which, while having been on the back burner at times, has never completely gone away. And it also was part of a recurring dream I had for a while in the mid 1970s: my mom and Shirley Partridge from The Partridge Family as Siamese twins, joined back to back. I do remember one dream where they glued themselves together with a liberal amount of Perfect Balance skin cream. But even though it's been somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 years since I last had that dream, I've still occasionally had dreams involving Siamese twins. But it all started from that one Avon catalog, and that one picture of two women who were joined to one another back to back. Over time, my memory of that picture had become fuzzy, so much so that the only thing I ever really remembered about the picture was how the women were joined, but in early 2013, I was looking for Avon catalogs on eBay, and saw a lot of 16 catalogs for sale. The picture was too small to really see anything, but I did see that the cover of one of the catalogs had THE picture I remembered on the cover. Fortunately, I had enough money at the time to place a bid at the minimum, and double fortunately, I was the only bidder. The time from when I was notified that I had won the auction and paid for the items and when I finally received the package seemed like an eternity. But now I have it, the picture that sparked an obsession that has lasted almost my entire life.

Anyways, that was my obsession, now how about you?

Well I kind of feel all my obsessions are weird compared to standard individuals interests if not in subject then in amount of interest. I love playing with magick squares, I've discovered several interesting patterns from translating the sator square to numerology.

I have also been obsessed with sheep my whole life. It probably started with my baby blanket that was covered with sheep, but it has evolved into me volunteering at farms, learning about and creating wool textiles.

I have also been obsessed with spirals since infancy.

Oh and as a child, even before I remember, I would sneak out of bed at night, cross the road, and sit at the lake do I could talk to the moon. And now as an adult I get these feelings when the moon is full that can only be summed up as, 'I miss your voice'.

Mine is listening to video games music mainly from the 80's and early 90's. I started gaining interest 6 years ago when I found something on YouTube. Then I started listening to it at work. Later on, my co workers recommend a streaming music site. However, it didn't have video game music so it offer no value to me.

I also enjoying watching a watts meter watching how much watts solar panels are generating.

I can also say I like game music, usually the retro 80's kind. That kinda' opens me up to liking a lot of music that people may know but don't exactly listen to publicly. I'm one of those people who drive down the road in my muscle car wearing a leather jacket and shades with the window down and the stereo blasting cartoon theme songs like Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktails, TNMT from 87, Power Rangers and all the Disney movie soundtracks. I had a friend show me how you should do the whole public music thing more to show people you don't care about their idea of cool because you jam to what makes you happy. So I obsessively collect cartoon music, game music and old cartoon series on DVD. I may not have all the latest movies or HBO series on my shelf but I do have the two seasons of the Tick and others like it. It makes for a "stand out" kinda image suitable for an artist like myself.

I've had a number of what could be qualified as "unusual" obsessions/special interests over the course of my lifetime, but the most unusual one I can think of at the moment is my obsession with catfish when I was about 4 or 5. It started b/c of this Berenstain Bears cartoon I saw on a VHS tape we rented that had a catfish named "Jake" in it. After seeing it, pretty much all I talked about were catfish, to the point where my mother visibly wilted whenever I started in about them. Fortunately for her, it was one of my more "fleeting" interests that lasted for only a week or so. :)

I can also say I like game music, usually the retro 80's kind. That kinda' opens me up to liking a lot of music that people may know but don't exactly listen to publicly. I'm one of those people who drive down the road in my muscle car wearing a leather jacket and shades with the window down and the stereo blasting cartoon theme songs like Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktails, TNMT from 87, Power Rangers and all the Disney movie soundtracks. I had a friend show me how you should do the whole public music thing more to show people you don't care about their idea of cool because you jam to what makes you happy. So I obsessively collect cartoon music, game music and old cartoon series on DVD. I may not have all the latest movies or HBO series on my shelf but I do have the two seasons of the Tick and others like it. It makes for a "stand out" kinda image suitable for an artist like myself.
My Hero! This is why I own Hamster Dance, Harry Belafonte, and Harry Nilsson CDS, because I dont's care about your musical opoinions I like what I like. also this:

For a while I was obsessed with Quentin Tarantino movies. I still like them, but during the summer of my Junior year, it was my personal mission to watch all of them.

Also theme parks. I sometimes just come up with theme park ideas using (Microsoft Word) charts and whatnot.

To me, they are custom-faced lay figures. To the untrained observer, I am a 53yo man who "plays with" Barbies & GI Joes.

See my photo albums.

To make matters "worse," I collect them as couples in order to keep romantic scenes monogamous (but I limit said "public displays of affection" to that which children see of their parents).

Last edited:
I suppose my most unusual interest is listening to video game music. I enjoy the music from Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600 very much.

Back in the 90s, when I regularly read comic books, and read Wizard on a monthly basis, they used to have a regular feature where readers could send in pictures of their customized figures or dolls... Back then(and to a lesser extent today), if I had the means and know-how to do it, I would make my own customized figures or dolls...

Back in the 90s, when I regularly read comic books, and read Wizard on a monthly basis, they used to have a regular feature where readers could send in pictures of their customized figures or dolls... Back then(and to a lesser extent today), if I had the means and know-how to do it, I would make my own customized figures or dolls...
War hammer 30k nuff said

The Titanic was probably my most unusual special interest. I was in grade 1 or something like that.

But then when I went for my diagnosis and said that my current special interest is Norway, the psych said how unusual and if that's the case then.... I'm pretty sure I've never had a "usual" special interest. :laughing:

I suppose my most unusual interest is listening to video game music. I enjoy the music from Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600 very much.
On the days that I work as a paper carrier, my ring tone is the obstacle course from "Paperboy."

Last edited:
I was recently obsessed with the evolution of 70s mecha anime, despite actually hating the genre. I mean, it's so ultra-formulaic that any show that demonstrated a semblance of actual plot was like a major revelation.

I also really like cephalopods. I would love to know how their neurology and camouflage capabilities evolved over time. Unfortunately soft tissues don't fossilize well. The best we can do is compare living examples, contrasting phenotypic expression and using genetics to determine approximately when species differentiated. The most interesting contrasts are those between choleoids and nauteloids. Of greatest interest to me is the fact that nauteloids completely lack chromatophors, unlike their choleoid brethren, so this provides at least some clues as to when the trait began to develop.

My latest obsession is collecting rainwater. I have an allotment which is really just an overgrown field with an allotment sign.. It has no water supply and gets very hard and dry in the summer. So...... I have dug out reservoirs around my veg plots and an enormous reservoir (pond) and shaped an entire nature scene around it complete with a hedgehog tunnel giving access to the island where the frogs can sit :) It is called Toad Island. The plan is to put out giant tarpaulins to catch the water over the wet season and collect it in the reservoirs to be used in summer, kinda like filling a barrel from the roof water.

New Threads

Top Bottom