• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your full list of smart (IoT) devices

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, what is your current full list of smart (IoT) devices?

Here is what I have:

-Smart bulbs - Sengled Wi-Fi Color Smart Bulbs (4x) and Sengled Zigbee BR30 Color Smart Bulb
-Smart plug - Kasa Smart Plug
-Smart thermostats - Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 Color Smart Thermostats (3x)
-Smart Faucet - U by Moen Smart Faucet (Arbor, Spot-Resist Stainless Steel)
-Smart Lock - Schlage Encode (Camelot, Aged Bronze)
-Cameras - EufyCam 2C Pro (2x, outside), Wyze Cam v3 (2x, inside), and Zmodo Cameras (these rarely work)
-Vacuum Cleaners - Roomba i8 and Eufy RoboVac 30C
-Smart Speaker - Amazon Echo 1st Gen
-Smart TV - Samsung Q80T QLED Smart TV
-Streaming Stick - Amazon Firestick (2x)

We use Alexa as our voice assistant because we are a mixed Apple/Android household (my parents have iPhone 12s while I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+). Generally, phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops are not considered IoT devices.

As for anyone who claims they own zero IoT devices, I don't think they are being sincere. They have to own at least one. Odds that anyone doesn't own at least one IoT device is very slim unless they live in a third world country.

As for anyone who claims they own zero IoT devices, I don't think they are being sincere. They have to own at least one. Odds that anyone doesn't own at least one IoT device is very slim unless they live in a third world country.
Generally, phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops are not considered IoT devices.

No, I don't live in a third world country.

I hate isolation. See Post #9.

I have a desktop computer and a Samsung phone. And a satelite dish. I can't think of anything else, I don't think I have "IoT". I don't want things in my house to be connected to the internet, except my computer. It's actually getting more difficult to avoid it, I had to buy some new panel heaters a while ago, had to look for a while to find some normal old fashion ones that didn't use wifi or apps.

I have a desktop computer and a Samsung phone. And a satelite dish. I can't think of anything else, I don't think I have "IoT". I don't want things in my house to be connected to the internet, except my computer. It's actually getting more difficult to avoid it, I had to buy some new panel heaters a while ago, had to look for a while to find some normal old fashion ones that didn't use wifi or apps.
If you have DirecTV or Dish, they rely on an Internet connection for some of their functionality in their latest boxes.

If you have DirecTV or Dish, they rely on an Internet connection for some of their functionality in their latest boxes.

Yes, my satelite receiver has a router connected to it, so I can both watch things on the satelite dish and download movies and series over the router.

Last edited:
Anything that has a Wi-Fi connection,...and doesn't receive routine internet security updates is often an "open door" to anyone interested in hacking. Don't be messing with my furnace/air-conditioning system, my stove/oven, my refrigerator/freezer, my door locks, my lighting,...none of that. Your phone connection and those public "open Wi-Fi" systems are a great gateway into your life.

Paranoid,...maybe,...but my wife has had her identity stolen, taxes filed in her name by someone else, bank loans applied for in her name, her phone number ported to some other phone across the country,...a bunch of shady crap. Just the other day, she was notified that her information was breached by hackers, again,...3 months ago,...just sent her a letter to let her know it happened,...total BS. Have you ever seen these "hacker conventions"? It's a billion dollar industry,...selling your life to others.

A bit of a blanket statement though, isnt it?

I dont own one either, and I'm THE tech user in the family.

Thing is, I just have trouble seeing the point of things like this. Like... smart light bulbs? Just... why? It's a freaking light bulb! Why would it need an app or some sort of internet connection? Ya flip a switch and it's on or off! That's what a lightbulb is!

It's not just that though. These things are often not quite so... helpful. My father has a "smart TV". And devices that go along with it. And it's this labyrinthine disaster that nobody else in the family likes at all. Designed by an idiot, that thing. It sure doesnt seem very smart, considering how bloody easy it was to use TVs like 20 years ago. Ya hit the freaking numbers and that picked a channel and BAM, done, you're watching TV. That's it. That's all that was needed. So why the convoluted nonsense that is modern TV setups?

My favorite part of that device though is how SLOW it is. Every... action... has... a... delay. What in the funky pudding is it DOING during all those delays? Frankly I dont feel interested in knowing the answer.

No way to avoid ads on it, either. Probably because the thing's ACTUAL purpose is to funnel ads towards the viewer. Honestly the "smart" route to me is to ignore the accursed thing and use my PC here instead, which is practically drowning in stuff to knock out ads and problematic things. After all, unlike the TV, I have absolute control over this ridiculous gizmo (even if I have to fight Windows for it, but then, Windows has always been like that).

And that's typically how I use tech. The PC here is where all the software and internet stuff is concentrated... nothing else I own has either since I just cannot see a logical reason for such a thing.

The only exception, I suppose, is my phone. And I freaking hate that thing.

Also what the heck is a "streaming stick"? Do I want to know?

A bit of a blanket statement though, isnt it?

I dont own one either, and I'm THE tech user in the family.

Thing is, I just have trouble seeing the point of things like this. Like... smart light bulbs? Just... why? It's a freaking light bulb! Why would it need an app or some sort of internet connection? Ya flip a switch and it's on or off! That's what a lightbulb is!

It's not just that though. These things are often not quite so... helpful. My father has a "smart TV". And devices that go along with it. And it's this labyrinthine disaster that nobody else in the family likes at all. Designed by an idiot, that thing. It sure doesnt seem very smart, considering how bloody easy it was to use TVs like 20 years ago. Ya hit the freaking numbers and that picked a channel and BAM, done, you're watching TV. That's it. That's all that was needed. So why the convoluted nonsense that is modern TV setups?

My favorite part of that device though is how SLOW it is. Every... action... has... a... delay. What in the funky pudding is it DOING during all those delays? Frankly I dont feel interested in knowing the answer.

No way to avoid ads on it, either. Probably because the thing's ACTUAL purpose is to funnel ads towards the viewer. Honestly the "smart" route to me is to ignore the accursed thing and use my PC here instead, which is practically drowning in stuff to knock out ads and problematic things. After all, unlike the TV, I have absolute control over this ridiculous gizmo (even if I have to fight Windows for it, but then, Windows has always been like that).

And that's typically how I use tech. The PC here is where all the software and internet stuff is concentrated... nothing else I own has either since I just cannot see a logical reason for such a thing.

The only exception, I suppose, is my phone. And I freaking hate that thing.

Also what the heck is a "streaming stick"? Do I want to know?
The product that the IoT is selling is YOU. Hence the targeted ads. Some personal information becomes public. For instance, were I a thief I would love to have the maps of your home that Roomba is transmitting.

I think the only thing I have in my home that counts at all is a Fire stick, and I didn’t realize that’s what that does :oops:

Smart technology frightens me. I’m also tech illiterate for the most part.

I'm kind of a luddite. I own abaci and the oldest item I regularly use is over a century old. I like things from past eras when they were made to last.

It's a WWE situation here.

In this corner a bunch of very territorial and angry Chihuahuas.

images (10).jpg

And in this corner a small army of mechanized floor sweeping bots.

tumblr_bb7a3323151bf541b05c6dadacff79b7_2e48d299_1280 (2).png

;)

As for those who worry about hackers, as long as you stick with name-brand devices, you generally should be fine. Name-brand manufacturers are more likely to push critical security updates for their devices. If it's some shady off-brand device, I would avoid.

And to the user who mentioned about the Wi-Fi connection opening your network to hackers, most IoT devices from reputable manufacturers do not have privileged access to your Wi-Fi network. They can only scan for other devices that do.

Pretty soon people will be buying an IoT !!!!! (euphemism for, dildo?) and I will know we have reached an inflexion point towards extinction.

I was wondering, what is your current full list of smart (IoT) devices?

Here is what I have:

-Smart bulbs - Sengled Wi-Fi Color Smart Bulbs (4x) and Sengled Zigbee BR30 Color Smart Bulb
-Smart plug - Kasa Smart Plug
-Smart thermostats - Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 Color Smart Thermostats (3x)
-Smart Faucet - U by Moen Smart Faucet (Arbor, Spot-Resist Stainless Steel)
-Smart Lock - Schlage Encode (Camelot, Aged Bronze)
-Cameras - EufyCam 2C Pro (2x, outside), Wyze Cam v3 (2x, inside), and Zmodo Cameras (these rarely work)
-Vacuum Cleaners - Roomba i8 and Eufy RoboVac 30C
-Smart Speaker - Amazon Echo 1st Gen
-Smart TV - Samsung Q80T QLED Smart TV
-Streaming Stick - Amazon Firestick (2x)

We use Alexa as our voice assistant because we are a mixed Apple/Android household (my parents have iPhone 12s while I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+). Generally, phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops are not considered IoT devices.
I have a new in box Google Mini I will sell you cheap.

I only turned it on once, saw that it needed my phone to have it's location on to work and then disconnected it and shoved the cursed thing back into it's box.

Google knows too much about me already :emojiconfused:

Do smartphones count as smart devices? Because most people have those. And they totally listen in. fyi

Between the environmental concern of e-waste, and the detrimental privacy and freedom concerns of data selling, I don't want anything like this in my possession. I have a smartphone until I replace it with a flip phone again.

I also hate the culture of induced helplessness that dependence on smart tech brings about. Smart tech, maybe; definitely makes for some dumb people.

New Threads

Top Bottom