• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your full list of smart (IoT) devices

I also hate the culture of induced helplessness that dependence on smart tech brings about. Smart tech, maybe; definitely makes for some dumb people.
I have made that observation in that Americans know how to steer a car but they don't know how to drive one. One day the self-driving cars will hand off to people who will not know what to do. Remember Air France 447 when the autopilot handed over control to pilots who did not know how to fly at altitude (the safe flight envelope is much more restricted than at lower altitudes) and did not recognize a stall, diving the plane into the Atlantic with a complete loss of life.

So I have an electronic toaster thing, you know the thing that toasts bread?

So this contraption has a knob that if turned to the right the bread toasts darker and if turned to the left the bread toasts lighter.

It’s fascinating and futuristic but I’m not sure if it fits soundly in the smart devise category.

What? Naw, no bluetooth connectivity but it can toast pop tarts in addition to sliced bread.

Some mornings I stand in awe!

Between the environmental concern of e-waste, and the detrimental privacy and freedom concerns of data selling, I don't want anything like this in my possession. I have a smartphone until I replace it with a flip phone again.

I also hate the culture of induced helplessness that dependence on smart tech brings about. Smart tech, maybe; definitely makes for some dumb people.

What's interesting is that, going along with that, many users actually have trouble even using or setting up these "smart" devices. Like, the TV I mentioned, and the equally "smart" devices that are hooked up to it. It's nigh-impossible to use, super confusing as heck, and certain family members cant even get the thing to function, needing either my father or myself to come help them so much as turn it on correctly. Yes, it's THAT bad.

And then even when it IS on, it just gets dumber from there. Even just switching channels can be this giant stupid hassle. Compare this to non-smart TV setups from years ago, where it was just "hit number buttons to pick channel. Watch. Yay." Even people who werent tech-savvy could easily use one. They were intuitive and simple. But these smart things arent.

And I know that TVs arent the only things with this issue.

So I wonder... how are these devices going to do over time? They seem like the sort of thing that a lot of people will sorta poke at once or twice, get frustrated at, and then never actually use. Combine that with increasing frustration and irritation from consumers regarding corporate pestering and spying, and, well.... yeah. It should be interesting to watch over time.

Just a samsung galaxy tab A from 2019 and a samsung galaxy android A03

I do enjoy technology, but in that format only.

I teach piano to a woman who has what seems to be a smart lightbulb. It's supposed to turn on at a certain time and I think supposed to turn on when she claps. It never works. She fiddles with it almost every lesson, taking five minutes to turn a light on that we don't even need. Very smart technology. My home is dumb, unfortunately.

I was wondering, what is your current full list of smart (IoT) devices?

Here is what I have:

-Smart bulbs - Sengled Wi-Fi Color Smart Bulbs (4x) and Sengled Zigbee BR30 Color Smart Bulb
-Smart plug - Kasa Smart Plug
-Smart thermostats - Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 Color Smart Thermostats (3x)
-Smart Faucet - U by Moen Smart Faucet (Arbor, Spot-Resist Stainless Steel)
-Smart Lock - Schlage Encode (Camelot, Aged Bronze)
-Cameras - EufyCam 2C Pro (2x, outside), Wyze Cam v3 (2x, inside), and Zmodo Cameras (these rarely work)
-Vacuum Cleaners - Roomba i8 and Eufy RoboVac 30C
-Smart Speaker - Amazon Echo 1st Gen
-Smart TV - Samsung Q80T QLED Smart TV
-Streaming Stick - Amazon Firestick (2x)

We use Alexa as our voice assistant because we are a mixed Apple/Android household (my parents have iPhone 12s while I have a Samsung Galaxy S21+). Generally, phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops are not considered IoT devices.

A bit of a blanket statement though, isnt it?

I dont own one either, and I'm THE tech user in the family.

Thing is, I just have trouble seeing the point of things like this. Like... smart light bulbs? Just... why? It's a freaking light bulb! Why would it need an app or some sort of internet connection? Ya flip a switch and it's on or off! That's what a lightbulb is!

It's not just that though. These things are often not quite so... helpful. My father has a "smart TV". And devices that go along with it. And it's this labyrinthine disaster that nobody else in the family likes at all. Designed by an idiot, that thing. It sure doesnt seem very smart, considering how bloody easy it was to use TVs like 20 years ago. Ya hit the freaking numbers and that picked a channel and BAM, done, you're watching TV. That's it. That's all that was needed. So why the convoluted nonsense that is modern TV setups?

My favorite part of that device though is how SLOW it is. Every... action... has... a... delay. What in the funky pudding is it DOING during all those delays? Frankly I dont feel interested in knowing the answer.

No way to avoid ads on it, either. Probably because the thing's ACTUAL purpose is to funnel ads towards the viewer. Honestly the "smart" route to me is to ignore the accursed thing and use my PC here instead, which is practically drowning in stuff to knock out ads and problematic things. After all, unlike the TV, I have absolute control over this ridiculous gizmo (even if I have to fight Windows for it, but then, Windows has always been like that).

And that's typically how I use tech. The PC here is where all the software and internet stuff is concentrated... nothing else I own has either since I just cannot see a logical reason for such a thing.

The only exception, I suppose, is my phone. And I freaking hate that thing.

Also what the heck is a "streaming stick"? Do I want to know?
Id get a smart bulb just so i can turn it on/off without having to get out of bed and walk across my room.

That’s what this is for:

yeah that's how I keep thinking of these things.

Like, okay, they can do X thing here, but... why do you need an app for that? Or the presence of Siri/Alexa? There's other ways to make it happen that dont involve freaking Amazon or whoever having a constant presence in your house. And some of those methods have been around for ages (although, of course, Amazon and the like would prefer you to forget that fact).

Even something like those funky LED lights that change color... my PC has some buried in it for reasons that I dont understand (I didnt build the thing), but they arent "smart" and in fact the PC cant control them. They just have this weird little remote thing that came with it. It has colors on it. Poke color on remote = get color on bulb. Like, that's it. That's all it needs. No need for my stupid phone to be involved, and no need for some little program that clogs up Windows even.

Of course, these companies will do basically anything to try to convince you that there IS no other way than the way their gizmos are offering. Which is part of the problem. Everyone just walks right into that stuff.

yeah that's how I keep thinking of these things.

Like, okay, they can do X thing here, but... why do you need an app for that? Or the presence of Siri/Alexa? There's other ways to make it happen that dont involve freaking Amazon or whoever having a constant presence in your house. And some of those methods have been around for ages (although, of course, Amazon and the like would prefer you to forget that fact).

Even something like those funky LED lights that change color... my PC has some buried in it for reasons that I dont understand (I didnt build the thing), but they arent "smart" and in fact the PC cant control them. They just have this weird little remote thing that came with it. It has colors on it. Poke color on remote = get color on bulb. Like, that's it. That's all it needs. No need for my stupid phone to be involved, and no need for some little program that clogs up Windows even.

Of course, these companies will do basically anything to try to convince you that there IS no other way than the way their gizmos are offering. Which is part of the problem. Everyone just walks right into that stuff.
And of course there is the new planned obsolescence, where some company can remotely brick things that are still functional. And, a couple of years ago weren't Tesla owners locked out of using their cars when some Tesla servers went down? The ability to deny use is a point of contention for "Right of Repair" as John Deere, and Apple owners have found out.

And of course there is the new planned obsolescence, where some company can remotely brick things that are still functional. And, a couple of years ago weren't Tesla owners locked out of using their cars when some Tesla servers went down? The ability to deny use is a point of contention for "Right of Repair" as John Deere, and Apple owners have found out.
John Deere? The tractor company? Our little backhoe was our pride and joy, growing up. Even when it stopped working, it still had its place of respect, parked next to the tack room, where everyone could see our little engine that could.

Tell me more, because I am so confused.

This reminds me of one of the single stupidest greed showcases I've ever heard of.

Are you ready for this? I have to provide a link to this one, lest anyone think I'm making this up. It's that stupid.

I dont need to say much else, do I? I think that speaks for itself.

I don't have an Alexa speaker thingie. But I do have a fire stick. Fire Stick Alexa can't do things other than take you to certain movies or shows. Well, she can tell jokes, and sing songs. But that's about it.

You have to push a button on the remote control and tell her what to do. She usually screws up a couple times, but then she finally figures it out.

One nice feature about my fire stick is that there is a feature where you can do shopping. I can tell Alexa "Shop for natural soap". All kinds of brands will pop up on the tv screen. You can ask her to orally describe each product. You can look at reviews, prices, and compare two like products. It's really helpful. All the products will be listed by number, and you can say "Buy number nine", or "Add number two to my cart". Then she will confirm with you before doing so.

It's kind of a neat thing if you are disabled and can't get out to the market a lot.

Plus, it makes me feel kinda low-budget Bourgeoisie.

Last edited:
Every once in a while I'm tempted to pick up my mouse and talk to it with a Scottish accent.

But it didn't seem to help. Guess I'll have to find another way to invent transparent aluminum. :confused:

This reminds me of one of the single stupidest greed showcases I've ever heard of.

Are you ready for this? I have to provide a link to this one, lest anyone think I'm making this up. It's that stupid.

Egad. The world is an alien place to me. So confusing sometimes.

Meanwhile, they can buy seat warmers, or use a blanket.

I have problems understanding this, if I buy a BMW and I want to have some heat on my butt on a cold winter day, BMW wants me to give them $18 to use the seat warmer? I bought the frikkin' car and a BMW costs from $60 000 and up. This is the weirdest thing I have seen in a while. This is a step beyond normal greed.

Anybody dumb enough to buy a BMW deserves to pay $18/mo. for the hot seats. Those things are a pedestrian's nightmare, a cyclist's nemesis, and the auto mechanic's bread and butter.

Anybody dumb enough to buy a BMW deserves to pay $18/mo. for the hot seats. Those things are a pedestrian's nightmare, a cyclist's nemesis, and the auto mechanic's bread and butter.
If you want something German, buy a Mercedes is what I always say. :cool: Like an SLS AMG for example. BMWs are for greenhorns and gangsters. ;)

If you want something German, buy a Mercedes is what I always say. :cool: Like an SLS AMG for example. BMWs are for greenhorns and gangsters. ;)

I think I'd love to have a vintage diesel Merc, the 1960s all-mechanical one, and do that on biodiesel for a car. That would satisfy my gearhead side and my bleeding-heart liberal environmentalist side--and they're both stylish and almost indestructible. A real sedan of sedans--Driving like I mean it.

New Threads

Top Bottom