• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wrong Planet

Wrong Planet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ It's basically a clique of those who feel morally superior; and more enlightened and intelligent etc, than those who don't go along with them. They use words like bigot and racist the way cults use words like heathen and infidel. Which is simply calling someone a scumbag. And this attitude they have about themselves and others bleeds onto just about everything they post.
That attitude in particular was immediately noticeable once I joined the site and it's been really off putting. I don't necessarily like the fact that it seems a bunch of Holier-Than-Thou "intellectual" type aspies congregated to that site, since I went on a forum to avoid those. A lot of the problem-people have massive egos (or try to present themselves that way, for whatever reason, maybe fake overconfidence) that can't stand taking a hit whenever they're corrected or told to knock their crap off.

What no one there gets is that the racist and white supremacist name calling is one of THE main problems causing toxicity on WP. Too many of them are deluded with the thinking that because racism is bad (it is), they get to arbitrarily label and point fingers at whomever they choose to be racist, etc and unleash their weapons and it's ok. It's not ok. It's very wrong. It's a very serious accusation, the kind of which that in public, physical altercations could even take place over it, reputations and social status could be ruined. It's libelous. Again, they don't realize that it's one of the biggest problems on WP and it's staring them in the faces.

It would be one thing if WP was overrun by actual professed white supremacists, but that's absolutely not the case. Not even one. It's not only allowed to happen, certain mods condone and even participate in it. Calling someone a derogatory name is against the rules (naturally), but calling people racists, white supremacists and "dripping with white privilege" knowing nothing about the person or their experiences in life is allowed on WP. THAT is one of the most toxic problems on WP. Sadly it is only a mere handful of people there that do it and obsessively so. They could easily be told to stop since the WP rules are already written to prohibit such behavior or they could be banned or perma-banned if they can't control themselves and the site would become more hospitable in short order.
This seems to be what a lot of the arguments are about right now, too. Specifically that people are noticing others are getting away with personal attacks and are trying to call it out, but the people that know they're doing so have to jump in every time and rile people up. I personally can't really tell the mods stance on this, since it seems they'll condemn it one moment and then stick up for the people doing the name-calling the next time people get riled up. It's like they're playing both sides instead of actually doing anything, to be honest.

But like you said, it's written in the rules. No one should be doing that nor should the mods be letting it happen. It is also definitely going to continue until these people get a proper scolding or are put in time out like the children they're acting like they are.

The mods all seem basically of the same mindset as those who are the problem. They condemn it to put up a front and mainly only enforce the rules against those they don't like. Many posters have been banned for going against the clique. A couple people I can think of have managed to persevere because they have been extremely careful. More careful than I was.

Ezra
I just noticed you have only 1,474 posts but 2,035 karma points! :)

That goes to show how valued your contributions are. You're such an articulate and thoughtful person. AF is lucky to have you and sadly, it was WP's loss.

I went there because I wanted to see if there's actually a genuine intent for change. I see the only posts that get responses are the ones that go on tangents, while people asking the right questions and pointing out the real problems (like HeroOfHyrule and a few others) are ignored.

Making an account here actually helped me crystalise some of my thoughts on WP and I used this site as a reference to highlight the problems I'm seeing.

Making it Better: The future of WP | Wrong Planet Autism Community Forum

I'm sure I'll get a long and insightful answer from the mods :D

Best post in the save WP thread:
I don't know if we should be cross posting. Is it against the rules here? I don't know.

I appreciate the appreciation for my words, but I've gone on a bit of a rant in that thread and don't want my negativity to be shared over here.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here so-to-speak. New username and everything.

I went there because I wanted to see if there's actually a genuine intent for change. I see the only posts that get responses are the ones that go on tangents, while people asking the right questions and pointing out the real problems (like HeroOfHyrule and a few others) are ignored.

Making an account here actually helped me crystalise some of my thoughts on WP and I used this site as a reference to highlight the problems I'm seeing.

Making it Better: The future of WP | Wrong Planet Autism Community Forum

I'm sure I'll get a long and insightful answer from the mods :D
I think your responses were excellently thought out, descriptive, and addressed most of the issues people were bringing up about AF! I would have commended you at the source, but I'm honestly too exhausted with that entire thread to post on it any longer, I'm sorry about that.

I think your responses were excellently thought out, descriptive, and addressed most of the issues people were bringing up about AF! I would have commended you at the source, but I'm honestly too exhausted with that entire thread to post on it any longer, I'm sorry about that.

Thank you and no need to be sorry, I'm done with it too - it's obviously not going anywhere. I knew I was wasting my time posting that but putting my thoughts into words helped me too.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to discuss Politics, Philosophy or Religion in an intellectual way on WP because there are essentially no rules in that forum. Mods admit it. I'm a student of Philosophy but I can't go to PPR without running the risk of personal attacks, harassment, or insult which wouldn't be allowed on any other internet forum. Philosophy or Religion might be someone's special interest but there's no safe space for anyone to discuss spirituality or personal beliefs on WP whilst having a semblance of rules enforced. Many members want to share their thoughts or their ideology without being mocked as "delusional" or "delirious", labelled with hate terms, or trapped in defensive posturing about their topic. Sadly, that's not an option because the only forum available for academic discussion on WP has no rules and takes no prisoners. It's an enter-at-your-own-risk mentality.

If you get harassed in PPR, the leadership will suggest you are at fault for going there in the first place. Don't expect help. How dare anyone post about ancient philosophy if they don't want attacked? How dare anyone express an opinion or life experience without political motives being assigned? Then, the bullies follow their targets around the rest of the site to continue mocking them, even in The Haven which is supposed to be protected but isn't.

When members don't have an opportunity to have reasonable, informed, civil discourse in PPR, or if they avoid vulnerability by not posting in The Haven, there's little else to do on WP. You'll have the option of reading people's smut in the Adult forum, getting attacked in gender wars on LD, playing word games, or posting music. It's hard to be included in any true, intelligent discourse because that's just a battleground.

Separating PPR by making it optional the way it is on AF will not solve this problem. They need to enforce rules in PPR so that all members are safe to discuss Politics, Philosophy or Religion without being faulted if they dare to step inside. I can imagine that making it optional would only strengthen the argument "You chose to come in here and you're too sensitive. What did you expect?"

There is very little focus on Autism or truly supporting one another. Most people say they're tired of talking about Autism. Support for those who are upset usually consists of "I'm sorry that happened. Don't let it bother you. Just ignore it. I managed despite the odds so you should too" -- even in relation to bullying or abuse on the site, or in members' personal lives. This cavalier attitude undermines the struggles of many people in considerable pain, or those suffering from trauma / depression / anxiety disorders / background stories of extreme duress. Threads are frequently derailed even when they're of a sensitive nature. Often, you can open a thread called "I'm Really Hurting" (etc.), but find the weather report for another country, or people other than the OP discussing their sex lives and / or food preferences. It's just bizarre in that regard.

It's really hard for me to watch WP sink. I put my heart and soul into the site and hoped the atmosphere would improve but sadly, it seems to be on its last legs due to a lack of constructive leadership. I'm very grateful for AF, where I always feel safe and everyone's experience is taken seriously.

I'm on a non-autism related forum that allows discussing any topic, no matter how controversial it is, but has zero-tolerance for personal attacks. People who want to discuss such topics have to do it in an articulate and civilised manner and use arguments instead of insults.

They'll ruin the internet, I'm sure ;)

I don't know if we should be cross posting. Is it against the rules here? I don't know.

I appreciate the appreciation for my words, but I've gone on a bit of a rant in that thread and don't want my negativity to be shared over here.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here so-to-speak. New username and everything.

I deleted it :)

Ezra
I just noticed you have only 1,474 posts but 2,035 karma points! :)

That goes to show how valued your contributions are. You're such an articulate and thoughtful person. AF is lucky to have you and sadly, it was WP's loss.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

So some on WP, mostly those who are rule breakers and trouble makers, say this forum is too strict.

But here is a review of what I got three 30 bans on WP for:

A well liked member known for his sense of humor decided to poke a little a fun at another well known member with the username "Fnord" by posting memes about the word "fnord" that had absolutely nothing to do with him. And I posted:

6lPRAuy.png

And I got a 30 day ban for posting this:

mGyAeZi.png

The other was because I got annoyed when someone showed up to absolutely flood the News and Current Events sub-forum with anti-trump articles because the 2018 election was coming up. I had the audacity to complain about the flooding/spamming which was argued against by some members. So then one time I added a few myself. Like okay if that's what is wanted here then let's have at it. Really I was just trying to make a point.

It's like those jokes of one prisoner asking another, "what are you in here for?".

HnR7huV.png

I hope I have not lost all respect and friends here for having comitted such ag

Last edited:
Is this the right image or did you actually get banned for posting the Buffalo Wild Wings logo? lmao

I managed to get another mod to rescind the ban because it was so ridiculous. But the ban still remained on my record.

I managed to get another mod to rescind the ban because it was so ridiculous. But the ban still remained on my record.
The same few people follow each other to different threads to argue and don't even get a slap on the wrist, but you got banned over a restaurant logo.

The same few people follow each other to different threads to argue and don't even get a slap on the wrist, but you got banned over a restaurant logo.

Someone posted a sarcastic meme directed at another member. And I mod said no more "trolling memes". Then several posts after that someone said buffalo did not have wings, so I said "Oh yeah? then how do you explain this?" and posted the logo showing a buffalo with wings.

I was an extremely negative person when I was still posting on Wrong Planet. It took an extended hiatus from the Internet altogether and actually doing what my 12 step sponsor wanted me to for me to become less negative over time. I adopted my family’s toxic political views and weaponized them in the past. Getting away from my family and getting away from Wrong Planet were two of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I admit I was part of the toxic problem on that other website a few years ago. The best thing that can happen for the people who still remain is for WP to sink under and disappear, forcing a similar hiatus from that culture onto others.

If I could change from a “everybody who disagrees with me is a Nazi” person to somebody who thinks like an actual human being, that change is possible in others, as well. I don’t think anybody posting on WP is actually finding any happiness there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom