• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you accept a cure?

Would you accept a one-way, full-proof 'cure' for Autism (effectively making you Neurotypical)?

• Total voters

Sev

Hypothetically, if there was a cure for Autism/Aspergers that had a 100% success rate (making you Neurotypical), would you take it? I've seen multiple threads where people are discussing what they think about "people who want to cure us" and whether or not we dislike our condition, but I was thinking some statistics would be nice to go along with these discussions.

I'm fairly sure this isn't a duplicate thread, its hard to see among the thousands of posts here.

Last edited:
I think the notion of "cure" is a tricky subject. What exactly would it cure?

I don't think it's far fetched to assume that for some AS isn't the main problem but any comorbid issues are bigger problems in their life right now.

So with that it also raises the question what part of your functioning is impaired by AS and what's impaired by other disorders. And what part would be a personality trait.

Hypothetically, if there was a cure for Autism/Aspergers that had a 100% success rate, would you take it? I've seen multiple threads where people are discussing what they think about "people who want to cure us" and whether or not we dislike our condition, but I was thinking some statistics would be nice to go along with these discussions.

I'm fairly sure this isn't a duplicate thread, its hard to see among the thousands of posts here.
I don't consider myself sick, so I seek no cure. Would I want to be like everyone else? HELL NO!

I don't think it's far fetched to assume that for some AS isn't the main problem but any comorbid issues are bigger problems in their life right now.

Exactly. My OCD is occasionally annoying at best. Being mildly autistic won't kill me some day. It's just indicative of a different way of thinking. Not an illness per se. Clinical depression is another matter...

Since there are no real "cures" for these conditions I find it counterproductive to even think about it.

Last edited:
At my age so many people know me as weird so if were to change I think they might be confused as to why I am suddenly "normal" and fault me for not changing sooner. If I had a very young child with the diagnose of AS I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Because I have had 70 years to view NTs as unattractive I don't think I could go from "them" to "us" comfortably. Still, I wouldn't wish the pain and alienation I have always felt on anyone so I would be very much in favor of "fixing" very young Aspies.

Aspie or not, I see that society is in trouble. Ive experienced a lot of pain at the hands of NT world. But it has given me insight, that I wouldnt have, through the life of an NT. Its life's scars which shows us who we really are. So no, ive grown into this skin and connected with some amazing and real people, as a result

I think the notion of "cure" is a tricky subject. What exactly would it cure?
So with that it also raises the question what part of your functioning is impaired by AS and what's impaired by other disorders. And what part would be a personality trait.

I guess it can be pretty nature of the cure can be pretty ambiguous, and I would completely agree that there would be significant confusion as to "what part would be a personality trait" and simply differentiating between the condition and 'who you are'. However, I find that this isn't an actual problem with the question or the poll, but with the standpoint of many organisations who's endeavors are to provide such a cure. One such organisation, which gets much attention here, would be Autism Speaks and Cure Autism Now (which has apparently merged with Autism Speaks). Perhaps I should have changed the title of the pole, but I find it important to have some statistics to identify how many of us actually support their endeavors for a cure.

Exactly. My OCD is occasionally annoying at best. Being mildly autistic won't kill me some day. It's just indicative of a different way of thinking. Not an illness per se. Clinical depression is another matter...
Since there are no real "cures" for these conditions I find it counterproductive to even think about it.

Of course, I would say in many instances that the OCD and depression are simply repercussions of living with Autism (just a guess) and will certainly not just disappear if you are 'cured' of your mild autism. I completely agree with how you describe Autism as being a 'different way of thinking. Not an illness per se.' I personally don't think Autism is curable, I have the "you can't fix what ain't broke" mentality as well. However, it does appear that there are people searching for the apparent cure, and in this scenario it comes down to whether or not you would accept it if its found - not the possibility or ethical morality of it being found.

Last edited:
I guess it can be pretty nature of the cure can be pretty ambiguous, and I would completely agree that there would be significant confusion as to "what part would be a personality trait" and simply differentiating between the condition and 'who you are'. However, I find that this isn't an actual problem with the question or the poll, but with the standpoint of many organisations who's endeavors are to provide such a cure. One such organisation, which gets much attention here, would be Autism Speaks and Cure Autism Now (which has apparently merged with Autism Speaks). Perhaps I should have changed the title of the pole, but I find it important to have some statistics to identify how many of us actually support their endeavors for a cure.

But if you want people to speak out and make such a (hypothetical) decision, wouldn't they have to be well informed about what's being cured?

I won't even get into organisations that promote a cure for ASD, since for what it's worth, they don't have a clue what they want to cure in the first place.

It's interesting though; earlier today I saw a video (in dutch of course, lol) that dealt with the notion if a doctor should just treat us from a medical perspective or if a doctor should contribute to some kind of happiness (through treatment). It does touch upon the concept of "quality of life" to some extent. The subject at hand was deep brain stimulation through electrodes pretty much on your brain. He addressed the implications that some people can be cured of their disorder but that might not always be for the best. Immediate social circles among other things bring problems with this. One example dealt with a man whose wife filed for divorce since his behavior changed so much she didn't want to be with him anymore and another dealt with a severly depressed painter who because of his cure became a lot more eccentric like he used to be and didn't fit into society because of his lack of morals and such.

So with that it makes me wonder, that even if we have a cure; what are we really curing?

PS; I think the title of the poll is totally fine. I just think the general idea of a "cure" and what you're curing might've been given a bit more thought.

Can the leopard be cured of his spots? Can a little person be made taller or a giant shorter? I'm an Aspie; that's who and what I am. The world is who has a problem with it. Maybe it needs to be cured of it's problem and adapt to my way . . . Selah.
Or better still, can we develop a vaccine, that lets all humanity see each other, as equals. If it were possible, would the NT world see it as a cure, for what ails mankind, or an insult?

For me, the answer is "What's the point?"

If I were to become NT, I wouldn't know what to do with it; I've trained myself a certain way and would want no part of a sea change.

That said, if you answer "Yes", it wouldn't offend me - it's your business.

I say no. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Quite honestly the typical NT life drives me up a wall, but I'm sure they think the same about me. Autism in itself is a wonderful gift. It's having to deal with the NT world that makes life a struggle. But as more of us are able to interact with each other (and this forum is a great example), it becomes easier.

I'd be open to a cure if autism didn't benefit society. But so many hardcore geniuses, engineers, programmers, etc. are autistic and without the autistic traits to fuel their contributions, we would not have the world we have today.

I spend 99% of my time alone. This is a real problem and year after year I'm sinking deeper into this. I don't think I have special skills that I'd like to keep, because if you can't share anything you do with anybody, life is pointless.

Even when I'm shooting an arrow in a 12cm ring at 90 meters distance, and people are clapping and admire me ... I don't understand it ... and at the end of the day I go back home and I'm still alone.

A cure? ... I don't think I'm sick ... I'd take a different life with a different set of skills. But that is not possible. So I'll just accept the one I have ... who knows, maybe at some point I'll understand how things work.

I envision a better "cure" once the general population finally has a good understanding of exactly what autism is. As long as people feel autistics are too annoying to deal with I will feel like an alien and continue to prefer never to have been born. If society understood why I am so annoying and stopped passing judgment on me, I might be more content to live amongst NTs. I place my faith in education but I fear I won't live to see any real improvement.

Hypothetically, if there was a cure for Autism/Aspergers that had a 100% success rate (making you Neurotypical), would you take it? I've seen multiple threads where people are discussing what they think about "people who want to cure us" and whether or not we dislike our condition, but I was thinking some statistics would be nice to go along with these discussions.

No, because I do not see it as a disease. But I would give anything to get a cure for PTSD. That really is a disease.

I don't see anything to cure, I don't like socializing, I don't like crowds, loud noises and some other annoyances, but I don't think I need curing of anything. I believe that it's safe to assume that even NTs have a lot of issues that some people would like to "cure." I just want to be accepted for what I am, not changed, I'm OK with me, if someone else isn't, not my problem.

I say no. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Quite honestly the typical NT life drives me up a wall, but I'm sure they think the same about me. Autism in itself is a wonderful gift. It's having to deal with the NT world that makes life a struggle. But as more of us are able to interact with each other (and this forum is a great example), it becomes easier.

I'd be open to a cure if autism didn't benefit society. But so many hardcore geniuses, engineers, programmers, etc. are autistic and without the autistic traits to fuel their contributions, we would not have the world we have today.
agreed. childhood was hard but a lot of my personality traits and what not that made school hard as a kid dont hurt me as much as an adult. are there some troublesome ones? yes absoulouty but i dont see myself as gifted or crippled, i see myself as diffrent and not necisarly more or less and i think thats not something that the media wants to show because its a story that its harder to make any money off of. i do have some impresive skills, my writting, my bility to reaserch things. and it kinda all evens out to about the same. i dont think im any better or worse then anyone else and im proud of who i am.i dont want to be cured, i want to be proud of who i am and im not bad or broken in any way as much as i am just diffrent. personally i dislike orginizations like autism speaks and the notion of a cure that they seem to go out of there way to endource.

A cure where I wouldn't get sick easily in cold rooms or from bleach, vinegar, or clorox, could be around the kid more with less throbbing headaches from all the noise, be able to drive at night without the headlights bothering me as bad so I'm not driving blind, and be more likely to avoid those really awkward moments when face blindness strikes? Heck yeah!

A cure for my social aloofness? Heck no, people need to learn to amuse themselves more effectively without having me as their personal entertainer.

Although I still draw the line at women's clothing. That crap needs some serious revision, allistic or no.

I voted 'NO' only because I'm now heading down the final straight, so what would a cure do for me.

To be cured now would negate everything I achieved in my life, and I achieved a lot, making what I've done meaningless. No, I will leave this world an aspie, it is what I am, it is not a disease or something I should be ashamed of.

vive la difference!

New Threads

Top Bottom