• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you accept a cure?

Would you accept a one-way, full-proof 'cure' for Autism (effectively making you Neurotypical)?

• Total voters
Hell no. It's not an illness but just the quality of being fabulous and interesting. Majority don't work this way so class it as a disability. "Cured" would mean "reduced"

Or better still, can we develop a vaccine, that lets all humanity see each other, as equals. If it were possible, would the NT world see it as a cure, for what ails mankind, or an insult?

If I were to become NT, I wouldn't know what to do with it; I've trained myself a certain way and would want no part of a sea change.

I answered 'yes' because, even though NT's are so often irrational and do strange, incomprehensible things, I'm not saying I want to be like that, rather I just want the pain and loneliness to stop.
Flinty has a good point though, I didn't learn body language naturally as a kid, so I'm certainly gonna struggle with my new-found NT abilities at my age; a 'cure' would be wasted on me now, I think.
I do like Turks vaccine idea though.

How I am is normal for me. A cure for what? Being myself? I know that AS is different for everyone who has it. That being said, I don't feel like I have a disability. I feel like I am very lucky to be me and I certainly don't "suffer" with AS. I like being a Aspie. Sorry for the rant, I guess I should have just said "no".
'

As I've read more about Asperger's since my diagnosis, and watched videos about others with the condition, the notion of a "cure" has become more appalling to me. Why should we be forced to adopt the same "mental map" as everyone else? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, if I could be certain I would always be kind to any person who seemed odd, and whom I couldn't understand. In other words--ain't likely. There are them and us in the world and what we really need is to learn to peacefully coexist.

I would like to be able to understand people better. If a "cure" involved some kind of behavioral therapy that revealed the secrets of human behavior, I'd take it without hesitation.

More than a cure, I would like a way to go back to school without having to worry about making a living. The income problem is too much for me to handle in this state.

I would absolutely accept a cure. In a heartbeat. My ASD has left me incapable of living the kind of life I wanted and given me nothing in return.

While I understand all viewpoints, personally yes I do wish I wasn't ASD. I realize that I have some unique talents because of it, but overall I don't view it as a positive thing. That's not to say that I don't value myself but there are some things I can't do, or things I want to do that I find near impossible and so this is frustrating.

This topic forms a major part of the dystopian novel The Speed of Dark, which is told in first person by a HFA person. In his world, set in the near future, they think they've found a cure, but he has to decide whether he wants to become "normal". I enjoyed it and could relate to some of it.

Personally, I would rather have my life rebooted as NT than be cured. It would be too much of a shock to suddenly not have all the aspects, good or bad, which separate me from NTs.

Cure? No. What's to be cured? Really, there's nothing wrong with me. Sure, I could do without the depression and anxiety, but these have more to do with the pressures of work, trying to fit and live up to society's social norms - something that has become less important to me as I've got older. If society would just accept people who are different without bullying, outcasting and rejecting them, these things wouldn't be a problem. It's partially because so many people are like this that I don't want to belong to mainstream NT society.

That's a good idea. Just get rid of the major problems. The one problem that came with my Aspergers, sadly, was epilepsy. They say they're connected. Just get rid of the seizures and my life would be so much easier.

I feel that my problems making friends and understanding people have really affected my life negatively.
I would definitely prefer to have been born NT or my parents accept a cure in early childhood. It's quite possible my life wouldn't be successful, but I'm not just alone I'm very lonely and I haven't managed a close relationship. As I write this I think I've decided I would take the cure. Sorry if that's the wrong answer.

I wouldn't take a cure for anything. This is the way I was born, for a reason. I accept it and embrace it. I wouldn't be me any other way! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom