• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Amy B

Hi Everyone,
I am going through such a nightmare and would normally never open up about it to anyone except maybe a couple of family members. But I thought someone here may have some good advice for me and I might be able to eventually help someone else with that information, so here goes:

I'm self diagnosed female Asperger's/High Functioning Autism. I recently saw that a female with the syndrome doesn't necessarily look like the typical male Aspie. And once I knew that having extreme empathy and not knowing how to apply it is a hallmark feature of female Asperger's, I knew that was me because everything else on the list was also a perfect fit. Difficult childhood with domineering father (with undiagnosed Asperger's), suppressing myself until teenage years and then running away from home, several traumatic relationships and after much soul searching have come to know who I really am underneath all the layers of trauma and suffering. Take heart, those of you with severe depression! There is hope, and sometimes just making peace with who you are can be such a relief that it seems worth all the pain. I am a whole person today, who has no bitterness for anyone in my life who has hurt me, I have a job with the same employer for over 25 years and I have three grown children who are all doing well. I thank God my Savior because He is good, and things could be so much worse.

My problem currently is that after my medical transcription job was phased out three years ago, I was able to land a job in the lab (of the major trauma center I worked for) at the age of 50. I currently three years later am under multiplied stress and the job is so extremely demanding that I have made five different documented labeling/processing errors in the last three months and I am facing disciplinary action up to and including termination if the errors continue. I was presented with paperwork to sign, indicating that I had been made aware of where I stand. I KNOW I have sensory processing problems/short-term memory problems that are longstanding. My work in medical transcription did not bring these issues out and I was aware of them all along, I didn't know the cause until now. I had a panic reaction upon learning about the turning point at work and my physician told me I had to stay away from work for 10 days and be referred for psychosocial evaluation, she also thinks I have sensory processing issues. I am now wondering how I can avoid disciplinary action if this job is just too much for me given my disabilities, since I can't even apply for a transfer within the company for a year if I am on probation due to disciplinary action. I have applied for multiple other jobs within the company but no success--i am up against lack of experience in other departments as well as my age of 53. Any suggestions? I see that it is not normal to be awarded disability due to memory and sensory processing issues. Plus I was told the autism diagnosis process would require significant out-of-pocket cash which i don't have.

Feeling under the gun only stresses me out more, causing more confusion and mistakes and forgetfulness...today is my birthday and I am praying for some help with these problems. I am having trouble with my heart racing and muscles clenching...I am not a bad employee at all, hard worker, very conscientious. It KILLS me to think I can't perform well at work and would do anything possible to get past this.

'labeling/processing errors' should not be impossible to fix. There must of course already be a system in place, but you need devise your own supplementary one to prevent errors. Some little checklist you run yourself that would catch this type error.

I have had phases of increased errors come out of nowhere. But when I came up with preventive steps, they went back from whence they came.

'labeling/processing errors' should not be impossible to fix. There must of course already be a system in place, but you need devise your own supplementary one to prevent errors. Some little checklist you run yourself that would catch this type error.

I have had phases of increased errors come out of nowhere. But when I came up with preventive steps, they went back from whence they came.

Thanks for that Tom. It is a reasonable answer from someone who doesn't know what my job is like. The reason this is such a hairy problem is that in my job it is routine to have 15 or 20 tasks facing you at one time. I very commonly feel overwhelmed and am not quite sure what I have and haven't completed accurately. The pneumatic tube system is constantly making horrifying noises that add more stress to the situation. If I were to implement a checklist on each task, it would effectively render me ineffective at my job. If you want to know the truth, my job is a complete mis-match for me. I just don't know what to do at this stage of the game other than keep going in my job and face disciplinary action while hoping I can get hired by another department before that happens.

Happy Birthday and welcome to this forum, you are in a really good place here. I second Tom's suggestion of trying to come up with a quick, down and dirty procedure to check your work for errors. Maybe you can work on that while you are off work for the 10 days.

Happy Birthday and welcome to this forum, you are in a really good place here. I second Tom's suggestion of trying to come up with a quick, down and dirty procedure to check your work for errors. Maybe you can work on that while you are off work for the 10 days.

Thank you, I feel this is a really good place! I appreciate the good wishes.

I have been trying to come up with a way to be systematic in my work, and that is a really good suggestion for sure. I wish I could give you all an accurate picture of the mass volume of work I am faced with minute by minute in the lab. The mental image is enough to get my heart racing. I feel that since this is an autism forum, people will understand that certain things may seem to be beyond coping mechanisms due to the amount of stress they create. If I try to focus completely on one task at a time, I end up becoming more and more frustrated by all the things that hack away at my concentration such as the loud whining noise of the pneumatic tubes as they move through the system and then loudly crash into the receptacle, bringing in all sorts of different types of specimens in the lab which I have to process according to highly specified protocols. Then add to that constant phones ringing which I have to answer, and people walking in to the lab with specimens to drop off, and the maelstrom of different responses required by each element of the chaos, which can be constant throughout my shift some days. I feel that I have made a heroic effort to be equal to each and every task for some time now, thinking it would become second nature for me. But upon learning that I have sensory processing problems and likely HFA, I don't know if I can become accustomed to this, or if I can combat the effects of stress it produces long term. I am open to any and all suggestions, and even though I question whether developing a checklist can be effective for me in this environment, I will work on implementing one.

What about looking for transcription jobs on line? Had a friend who did this and was able to do it from home.
I suggest it because it sounded like you'd done it in the past successfully. It also does sound like given the large number and variety of tasks in your lab it would be a very challenging job for anyone, not just someone with ASD. Since you have worked for the hospital for 25 years already, seems like they should be willing to help you find something that fits you better! What about medical records? Possible you could get training in that area? Just trying to think of ideas here.

Are the errors a recent thing?

You’ve been working in this department for three years?
Are these the only errors?

If so you appear to have been okay for a good while.

Has something changed for you recently?
Work load? Home life?

Is the company aware you’re on the spectrum?

Great ideas, LucyPurrs. I love your screen name by the way!! I have talked to Human Resources and the scope of their "help" seems to be telling me to put in applications for different jobs. Seems like an internal transfer would be easier than applying for a job with a different company, but apparently you still have to apply, submit current resume, go through multiple interviews, and then *wait* (wait is the key word...talk about ratcheting up stress levels). Medical transcription online is a good idea except I am trying to hang onto the great benefits I have through my present employer. Thanks for helping me brainstorm--I may still be able to make some of these ideas work after spinning them through my brain a bunch more times.

Are the errors a recent thing?

You’ve been working in this department for three years?
Are these the only errors?

If so you appear to have been okay for a good while.

Has something changed for you recently?
Work load? Home life?

Is the company aware you’re on the spectrum?

Hi Gracey, good questions. Yes some things have changed recently--my mom (my closest relationship) had a heart attack and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure within the last 45 days, and I have been going through application and interview process on several different positions over that same time frame. I have a new supervisor since about May and I have talked to him about my suspicions of autism. Frustratingly, it seems like talking to a brick wall even though he keeps saying, "Well, I feel for where you are coming from, BUT..."

The big deal for me seems to be psyching myself out. And now I am definitely psyched out and have no confidence that the errors will improve. I have another dr. appointment tomorrow and will run all this past her. I need to come up with a plan I can feel good about, so I can stop the fight-or-flight thing that is only adding to my problems. THANK YOU for weighing in and for any suggestions you may have :)

With recent life events it may be a consideration that these issues are labelled as stress.

There are two processes happening.

1. Self identification of the problem for your benefit.
2. Official processes involving work procedures.

Rephrasing the problem .with doctors help using no 2.
Means work issues, and processes will come into p!ay to support you.
This is because you are able to identify the issue as increasing due to life issues.

Obviously it's not straightforward .

You can pursue 1 for your own benefit. General consensus is : the world is not ready.
Too complicated!

Plus I was told the autism diagnosis process would require significant out-of-pocket cash which i don't have

Stress can be increased by undefined things. Who said this and how much?
Others have pursued this with lower cost. Ask separately and specifically for this information here.
Ask for this thing only.

I see that it is not normal to be awarded disability due to memory and sensory processing issues.

What is. (number 2) normal to be awarded disability?

Current working practices may be causing the issue.
Their fault.
Dcotor will understand it is their fault and be able to phrase it like that.

Re-phrase it to suit you.
Just like your employer will rephrase it to suit them.
Don't go in taking responsibility, they are responsible for working practices. Ie not making employees Ill.

Pursue this angle Imo.

Pursue number 1 on here, it's too complex for most.
You have to simplify for your audience. Ie doctors and employers

Happy birthday! I'll pray for you.

I tend to favor the pharmaceutical route when it comes to improving performance. That tends to be unpopular with people in general, so PM me if you want to try the pharmaceutical way to improve your performance and avoid disciplinary action, making the whole thing a non-issue.

If not, I hope you have a good relationship with whomever you might call your "boss". If you do, you can really express the troubles you're having and I'm guessing if you've been with that company for so long, they'll work with you rather than punish you.

I'm not sure what to say, you've got a sticky situation there. I wish you the best of luck!

Not sure if this will work, because I do not know the process, but I will take a stab at it. Get it? Stab at it... drawing blood... Oh never mind that was terrible... :D

Oddly coincidentally however I have been on the opposite end often in the last two years. At times getting blood drawn daily. They didn't use those air tubes for that, but they did for medications.

I always thought it must be pretty hectic down there though, because so many times things waited on the lab results. But anyway, my thought was a kind of checklist in large print posted a bit over head height that prompts you with key words on the steps needed to process the sample(s). If there is more then one process, then make more then one memory jogging checklist. The basic purpose is that you can look up at it and check if you did this or that step, and whats next, and if in doubt double check your sample.

Single word memory joggers would be better then longer descriptive sentences. Something like, 1. Entered, 2. Print, 3. Labeled, etc.

Checklists in general are a very common compensating technique for Aspies. Distractions causing brain dumps, a natural tendency for the minds to wander, memory issues.

P.S. maybe one ear plug on the side facing the air tube (and not the side you answer phones with).

Not sure if this will work, because I do not know the process, but I will take a stab at it. Get it? Stab at it... drawing blood... Oh never mind that was terrible... :D

Oddly coincidentally however I have been on the opposite end often in the last two years. At times getting blood drawn daily. They didn't use those air tubes for that, but they did for medications.

I always thought it must be pretty hectic down there though, because so many times things waited on the lab results. But anyway, my thought was a kind of checklist in large print posted a bit over head height that prompts you with key words on the steps needed to process the sample(s). If there is more then one process, then make more then one memory jogging checklist. The basic purpose is that you can look up at it and check if you did this or that step, and whats next, and if in doubt double check your sample.

Single word memory joggers would be better then longer descriptive sentences. Something like, 1. Entered, 2. Print, 3. Labeled, etc.

Checklists in general are a very common compensating technique for Aspies. Distractions causing brain dumps, a natural tendency for the minds to wander, memory issues.

P.S. maybe one ear plug on the side facing the air tube (and not the side you answer phones with).

Haha that was a cute joke actually ;) Thanks for the ideas. Yes, checklists are a big part of my life, and it is absolutely normal for me as well to not have those checklists in hand when they are most needed. Ah such a conflicted life yet so blessed, what irony.

Happy birthday! I'll pray for you.

I tend to favor the pharmaceutical route when it comes to improving performance. That tends to be unpopular with people in general, so PM me if you want to try the pharmaceutical way to improve your performance and avoid disciplinary action, making the whole thing a non-issue.

If not, I hope you have a good relationship with whomever you might call your "boss". If you do, you can really express the troubles you're having and I'm guessing if you've been with that company for so long, they'll work with you rather than punish you.

I'm not sure what to say, you've got a sticky situation there. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks so much Gritches! It's sweet of you to offer pharmaceutical help ;) I'm actually taking a large number of supplements and try to get by without pharmaceuticals as much as possible. But I'm curious what kind of pharmaceuticals help memory and job performance other than amphetamines haha. The prayers are very much appreciated. God bless.

With recent life events it may be a consideration that these issues are labelled as stress.

There are two processes happening.

1. Self identification of the problem for your benefit.
2. Official processes involving work procedures.

Rephrasing the problem .with doctors help using no 2.
Means work issues, and processes will come into p!ay to support you.
This is because you are able to identify the issue as increasing due to life issues.

Obviously it's not straightforward .

You can pursue 1 for your own benefit. General consensus is : the world is not ready.
Too complicated!

Stress can be increased by undefined things. Who said this and how much?
Others have pursued this with lower cost. Ask separately and specifically for this information here.
Ask for this thing only.

What is. (number 2) normal to be awarded disability?

Current working practices may be causing the issue.
Their fault.
Dcotor will understand it is their fault and be able to phrase it like that.

Re-phrase it to suit you.
Just like your employer will rephrase it to suit them.
Don't go in taking responsibility, they are responsible for working practices. Ie not making employees Ill.

Pursue this angle Imo.

Pursue number 1 on here, it's too complex for most.
You have to simplify for your audience. Ie doctors and employers

Hmmm this gives me a lot to think about. Thanks for the ideas Fridgemagnetman! I will be sure to come back and post what ends up happening with all this.

What about looking for transcription jobs on line? Had a friend who did this and was able to do it from home.
I suggest it because it sounded like you'd done it in the past successfully. It also does sound like given the large number and variety of tasks in your lab it would be a very challenging job for anyone, not just someone with ASD. Since you have worked for the hospital for 25 years already, seems like they should be willing to help you find something that fits you better! What about medical records? Possible you could get training in that area? Just trying to think of ideas here.

Thank you, I think I replied to you earlier without using the "reply" button haha

Thanks so much Gritches! It's sweet of you to offer pharmaceutical help ;) I'm actually taking a large number of supplements and try to get by without pharmaceuticals as much as possible. But I'm curious what kind of pharmaceuticals help memory and job performance other than amphetamines haha. The prayers are very much appreciated. God bless.

Lol that's the first thing I was going to make sure you had going on. But if you're into supplements, I've been taking this stuff called "Brain Awake Red" by Irwin Naturals, it works like gangbusters. I'm in a similar position with my job; currently, I'm writing up paperwork for the fabrication of aerospace components, and if I put a decimal in the wrong place my ass is grass. This stuff is...not quite a stimulant, but it helps me stay alert even through the slog of this incredibly boring job.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Natura...=8-2&keywords=brain+awake+red#customerReviews

It has bad reviews, but before I was taking it, I was practically falling asleep at my desk. Now, I'm awake and alert for my entire shift, but not "wired up". Doesn't mess with my sleep either. I don't know if all that would help with your particular problem, but I'm really pushing this particular product; it's the first non-stimulant I've found that helps with wakefulness and alertness, all day long.

my physician told me I had to stay away from work for 10 days and be referred for psychosocial evaluation, she also thinks I have sensory processing issues

I'm never saying this is a good thing... BUT it might be a rainbow in a massive thunderstorm. With your age (not that you are old by any means), a psych eval might become a possibility for you to get disability... I believe in it when people need it and deserve it... It also may tie their hands from the disciplinary actions themselves... Its a dicey two edged sword, but you can swing it in your favor also... : )

It sounds like you are under extreme pressure and I know how crippling that can be... I got myself torn from one end to the other today, and I'm trying to not think about it right now. I am forced to multitask on an extreme level and I suck at it horribly. I do it by utilizing my phone alarms like a mad scientist. I have alarms for all sorts of things because I have so many things going at one time, sometimes for 16-18 hours at a time. Yet one slip and I'm treated like I'm some sort of idiot.

I deserved to get chewed out... I screwed up. I got so busy (with unexpected stuff) I left a leased excavator running for about 6 hours before I remembered it. It is leased by the hours used at 180.00 an hour... So thats why I'm trouble... Before i could get back to it, someone else had already found it running and turned me in for it... No harm, just the expense and possible things that could have gone wrong (which didn't). I hate it when I know I have disappointed someone or feel they have lost trust in me. All I had to do was turn the stupid thing off, but it was over 100 degrees and the AC isn't that good in it, and I truly thought I would be right back. That wasn't the case and there was no excuse for it... It sucks.

I know how you feel when you try very hard, only to feel like nothing at the end of the day, and even in trouble for it.

I do very well until things get super intense (like it is now)... Everyone gets on edge, and I want to disappear and I cant.

Meds to help clarity do help... I was on Wellbutrin, and they changed it... I hate taking meds, but at times I don't have a choice. I just went on Aderall and it apparently hasn't helped much, yet... : )

One last thought is a check list on your phone of the major things, and on mine I have them in red and the minor things in blue. This leased truck has nothing to do with my normal day, so it wasn't part of my list.
My bad... : )

I do hope things work out for you and you are in my thoughts... My bet is something good will come of this.

I'm never saying this is a good thing... BUT it might be a rainbow in a massive thunderstorm. With your age (not that you are old by any means), a psych eval might become a possibility for you to get disability... I believe in it when people need it and deserve it... It also may tie their hands from the disciplinary actions themselves... Its a dicey two edged sword, but you can swing it in your favor also... : )

It sounds like you are under extreme pressure and I know how crippling that can be... I got myself torn from one end to the other today, and I'm trying to not think about it right now. I am forced to multitask on an extreme level and I suck at it horribly. I do it by utilizing my phone alarms like a mad scientist. I have alarms for all sorts of things because I have so many things going at one time, sometimes for 16-18 hours at a time. Yet one slip and I'm treated like I'm some sort of idiot.

I deserved to get chewed out... I screwed up. I got so busy (with unexpected stuff) I left a leased excavator running for about 6 hours before I remembered it. It is leased by the hours used at 180.00 an hour... So thats why I'm trouble... Before i could get back to it, someone else had already found it running and turned me in for it... No harm, just the expense and possible things that could have gone wrong (which didn't). I hate it when I know I have disappointed someone or feel they have lost trust in me. All I had to do was turn the stupid thing off, but it was over 100 degrees and the AC isn't that good in it, and I truly thought I would be right back. That wasn't the case and there was no excuse for it... It sucks.

I know how you feel when you try very hard, only to feel like nothing at the end of the day, and even in trouble for it.

I do very well until things get super intense (like it is now)... Everyone gets on edge, and I want to disappear and I cant.

Meds to help clarity do help... I was on Wellbutrin, and they changed it... I hate taking meds, but at times I don't have a choice. I just went on Aderall and it apparently hasn't helped much, yet... : )

One last thought is a check list on your phone of the major things, and on mine I have them in red and the minor things in blue. This leased truck has nothing to do with my normal day, so it wasn't part of my list.
My bad... : )

I do hope things work out for you and you are in my thoughts... My bet is something good will come of this.

I can relate to everything you said. I feel so bad to let anyone down at all ever!!! I am the last person who would choose to hurt anyone. Yet I feel like the mistakes are out to get me. Yes yes and yes. I wish I could disappear but I can’t. Yes. What a catch 22. The more I try to figure out a solution the more sick I feel in my gut. I am going to have to work so slowly that it will hamstring my effectiveness and I will always be trying to catch up while I am obsessing over not making a mistake . The suggestion you made about the psych evaluation is a possibility and I thank you for sharing your ideas and for the good thoughts. Very encouraging. And I’m very sorry for the struggles you are having too, hope that stress gets better.

New Threads

Top Bottom