• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Will Critters Carve My Pumpkin?

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Last year, @maycontainthunder inspired me:

I tried, but these were the results:

Time to try again. :smilingimp:

October 1, 2023
BA5CCB89-23E7-41ED-8AD3-3BED4D31DE34_1_105_c.jpeg

Last year, @maycontainthunder inspired me:

I tried, but these were the results:

Time to try again. :smilingimp:

October 1, 2023
View attachment 117531
Oh my sweet baby cheese wiz, that is so funny!!!

Almost 12 hours later, we have some action.
That picture reminds me of something that used to be a common sight across southern Australia. We have a species of giant rock crab who's shell was very popular for many years as a wall ornament in fish and chip shops, restaurants, and even some pubs.

To clean and empty a crab shell for this all you do is sit it on a meat ant's nest. The ants go in through the mouth and completely clean out anything edible but they leave all the shell and ligaments intact. Once the ants have finished with it you spray it with lacquer and hang it on the wall.

hskspdkg4x071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture reminds me of something that used to be a common sight across southern Australia. We have a species of giant rock crab who's shell was very popular for many years as a wall ornament in fish and chip shops, restaurants, and even some pubs.

To clean and empty a crab shell for this all you do is sit it on a meat ant's nest. The ants go in through the mouth and completely clean out anything edible but they leave all the shell and ligaments intact. Once the ants have finished with it you spray it with lacquer and hang it on the wall.

View attachment 117571
I like ants. I call them 'nature's cleaning crew'

The "cleaning crew" has definitely been working hard. It appears as though the action has slowed considerably, but there were still plenty of ants doing something. I think it is a time to exercise patience and see what happens. I haven't touched the pumpkin since I placed it in the garden.

1696463449024.jpeg

Not much action to report and it’s still too dark outside to take a photograph of the nothingness.

This weekend I will make the holes a little bigger and re-up on the peanut butter.

Not everything works perfectly the first time through, but let’s see what happens with a little encouragement.

I suspect your critters may have jaws that are lacking against the task. They seem to be efficient cleaners, but not up to the task of taking extra bites that might carve your pumpkin. Is there any way to get birds or rodents to have a go?

I'd have a go but i have a feeling that the wildlife would leave only the pips. The local possums are always having a fight outside the window and would defo enjoy a half time snack.

I know in good science you are meant to change only one variable at a time during an experiment, so we will have to call this casual science.

I have made three changes. I made the holes going into the pumpkin flesh a bit bigger (used a dowel instead of a shish kebab stick) put full peanuts into the holes (not shown here because they are covered in peanut butter). And, I moved the whole thing to a more prominent spot in the yard where I see more of our big critters.

1696679585534.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom