• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why I'm content with being alone (for now, at least....)

FromEquestria2LA

Well, it will soon be the 1-year anniversary of my cousin and sister getting married (not to each other, however!), and one year out, I realize that I am almost 28, but am still single and still unemployed.

I'm just going to say this right about why I'm now at peace with my being alone (for now, at least, but you never know if and/or when things will change):
1) Me. I've realized that too many girls have thought I stalked them when I wasn't, just sending a message every now and then does NOT constitute stalking. Only if I did more constantly would it be that way. Some girls just did this to me when they misunderstood me. UGH. Their loss.....

2) My re-diagnosis in mid-March. Yes, I finally have some closure, and confirmation, and this has been a year where I've gone on some soul-searching journeys, like visiting anime conventions, going on thrifting tours (and finding some wonderful stuff along the way!), playing my retro gaming collection and attending sporting events. For me, being 27 and alone makes me more able to do these things.

3) Read this article: People with milder forms of autism struggle as adults — - It just explains so much to me, why I'm struggling socially and financially despite being ac college graduate. But I know that in the end, I'll still be standing and that tomorrow will be another day, so I don't let such problems get to me AT ALL.

4) Being at peace with the whole 4/13 thing. I know, I have said in the past that I am cursed because of it (both numbers are considered unlucky, 4 in Asian cultures, 13 in Western cultures) and the connotations associated with the webcomic Homestuck (which I LOATHE with a flaming passion). I just realize that those are only numbers, and nothing more than that.

I have gotten quite a bit of encouragement from my friends, however, and say that I worry too much. Do you think this is true? And what do you think I can do to help myself find my woman in the future (and eventually move to L.A. like I promised myself)? Do you have anything to say about all this? Post it here.

I'm just sorry I spent so many years worrying about not having a boyfriend (and not wanting a boyfriend)…

I don't know how to measure worrying. I guess "sufficient" would be "enough to keep taking sensible precautions, but not enough to want to curl up into a ball a significant amount of the time". It depends on what it is about. If it is about romance, then worrying is probably detrimental to things like relaxed posture and connecting with people without thinking about whether you will spend the rest of your life with them.

Not to mention that you can clean at your own pace, dance around in your underwear as you please, and sleep whenever you want (job and such responsibilities permitting).

Just keep on gamin', going to cons, and pursuing your pleasures. You're more likely to find a girl of your interests that way than bar hopping. I met my husband in college, so I guess I'd recommend occasionally taking a class here and there of things you really like.

New Threads

Top Bottom