• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why does it seem like everyone doesn't want me to pursue my special interest?

Lift won't come out here. When I say rural, I mean rural.

I understand "rural" because I live in a rural area, too. (By choice, thank God). You need friends who can help you with transportation. Focus on making some local friends. There are many useful threads here about how to go about doing that. The animal shelter is a good place to start because there will be people there who share your interest in animals and their well-being.

Meanwhile, get strong by exercising and eating right. Your injuries sound minimal and of the type that heal themselves with time. If they were serious, your family would have sought medical care for you.

At your age, it is time to build some independence in your life. No one else can do it for you. But we can encourage and cheer for you to take control of your life. Go for it!!!!

So what exactly do you do then? Think and talk about your special interest? You have an excuse for everything. I've been in two bad car accidents. I walk all the time. Good luck with your life.

Yes, but I also paint... Usually my special interest. And when my scoliosis is not acting up, I sew. I would do it more often if my machine did not feel heavier than plutonium.

I understand "rural" because I live in a rural area, too. (By choice, thank God). You need friends who can help you with transportation. Focus on making some local friends. There are many useful threads here about how to go about doing that. The animal shelter is a good place to start because there will be people there who share your interest in animals and their well-being.

Meanwhile, get strong by exercising and eating right. Your injuries sound minimal and of the type that heal themselves with time. If they were serious, your family would have sought medical care for you.

At your age, it is time to build some independence in your life. No one else can do it for you. But we can encourage and cheer for you to take control of your life. Go for it!!!!

Pretty much every injury I had as a child was brushed off because " deh autism". My parents didn't know they just believed the stupid doctor. My scoliosis wasn't diagnosed until I was 15 and even then it was just kind of brushed off.

But seriously I don't know how they would have kept little me in a back brace. I broke my arm at 3 and the cast was more painful than the break. I slipped out of it several times and my mom had to take me back and forth to the hospital do have it put back on tighter so I would not keep getting out of it. I don't think you can keep tightening a back brace without suffocating the person to death.

Seeing a chiropractor has helped the most. The one I go to is technically within walking distance but too far for someone with a bum back. He also advises not to walk home after treatments. I tried once and ended up just messing my back up all over again.

Thank you that's pretty much when I need someone to cheer for me. I tried a local rescue but they were full of volunteers and didn't need someone new. Another one I could never get in touch with. Another so-called rescue was just a hoarder who was taking advantage of me and did not understand I was not a painting machine. I had the flu with the time and she just wanted me to keep painting for her. She also kept making false promises and would not let me sell certain art pieces she wanted for herself. Lady, if you would have just talked to that vet for me I would have gladly given them to you for free...But nooo!

I had a stroke a a year ago, one of my therapists, could not understand how I could drive, too easily distracted. I read every poster in her office not keeping eye contact, she had to face me toward the door during each of the sessions wondering how I managed to drive for over fifty years accident free. The therapist realized that I had to have coping skills for not getting distracted.

When I went in the CT scan to have my brain scanned I was reading the signs on the wall, I have always been a compulsive reader.

Above Edited. Notes Added by Marie(Ron's wife) ...... Currently Ron is having problems himself driving, he has lost much of his confidence as a result of meeting the therapist. He is slowly regaining his confidence in time I think he will drive with the same confidence he used to have.

The lack of a driver's license, a knee injury, a back injury (I can't get to the doctor to get them treated until I get my driver's license since I can't depend on anyone to take me anywhere. There is no public transport in this town). And most vet schools won't even consider you until you have had some experience working in the field.

Every vet I have asked won't even let me volunteer to clean up and this was pre covid. Vet tech programs very rarely let you keep the credits you've earned there to use them to transfer.

And very few of you are making me feel any better.

We are not trying to make you feel worse. But you have to understand that you have to make a move and if you can't, you can't make it to the goal.

The goal is there and to get there, there must be certain moves. I don't want to make you feel bad.

I will not post anymore on this thread because no matter what we say, you say you cannot do it and yet won't accept that if you cannot make certain moves, you cannot reach the goal. We can say YOU CAN DO IT but it has to be done in order to do it. I do wish you luck but I better say no more.

Becoming a veterinarian is my main special interest. Particularly an exotics veterinarian. I'm not crazy about dogs. they are nice but they are just not my favorite kind of animal or something I would personally have as a pet. I would rather have a ferret or kinkajou.

Loving animals is not a requirement to be a vet. Just like loving children is not a requirement to be a pediatrician.

Anyway it seems like everywhere I turn no one wants me to be a vet. My parents and people I know personally know "dem's fightin' words" if they tell me I can't be a vet. And if they are smart they just do not bring it up. My mom just kind of plays along... Something I wish she would have done when I was younger instead of telling me I could never be one because of my undiagnosed at the time dyscalculia. Several my family members are very ableist when it comes to school accommodations. "Oh they are just for lazy people who do not want to study" that is coming from my brother who was the perfect A student and everything came easy to him. he says accommodations are just for black people so they can get through med school easier so people can have token black doctors. I did not talk to him for almost a year after he said that.

But everywhere I look online people basically say it's not worth it to be a vet. Especially at my age. It isn't my fault I got sick at 19. It isn't my fault my mother sheltered me from the world for as long as she could and wouldn't let me do anything unless something specifically for special needs.

I can't even watch vet shows without getting depressed and suicidal. I wish I could tell my mother but she would just take it personal and threaten to have me put in the mental hospital. Or to tell my psychiatrist I need more antidepressant or to tell my caseworker to deal with it like she does everything.

I would recommend volunteering at a local wildlife rehabilitation center. In the spring and summer months they especially need help with feeding baby birds. As you get more experience, you may be given other opportunities.
I have more to say, but this is enough now.
Let me know if you need help finding one.

I feel like you have an excuse for every suggestion people on here have made to you about why you can’t do something, and would rather just complain.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom