• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why does it seem like everyone doesn't want me to pursue my special interest?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
Becoming a veterinarian is my main special interest. Particularly an exotics veterinarian. I'm not crazy about dogs. they are nice but they are just not my favorite kind of animal or something I would personally have as a pet. I would rather have a ferret or kinkajou.

Loving animals is not a requirement to be a vet. Just like loving children is not a requirement to be a pediatrician.

Anyway it seems like everywhere I turn no one wants me to be a vet. My parents and people I know personally know "dem's fightin' words" if they tell me I can't be a vet. And if they are smart they just do not bring it up. My mom just kind of plays along... Something I wish she would have done when I was younger instead of telling me I could never be one because of my undiagnosed at the time dyscalculia. Several my family members are very ableist when it comes to school accommodations. "Oh they are just for lazy people who do not want to study" that is coming from my brother who was the perfect A student and everything came easy to him. he says accommodations are just for black people so they can get through med school easier so people can have token black doctors. I did not talk to him for almost a year after he said that.

But everywhere I look online people basically say it's not worth it to be a vet. Especially at my age. It isn't my fault I got sick at 19. It isn't my fault my mother sheltered me from the world for as long as she could and wouldn't let me do anything unless something specifically for special needs.

I can't even watch vet shows without getting depressed and suicidal. I wish I could tell my mother but she would just take it personal and threaten to have me put in the mental hospital. Or to tell my psychiatrist I need more antidepressant or to tell my caseworker to deal with it like she does everything.

It's never too late to learn something new. There's plenty of mature students out there. The main sticking point on further education as an adult is money.

It shouldn't be an issue so long as you can get a student loan, or have the money to pay for the years of college/university it will take to become a vet.

Being a vet isn't a waste of time, and you can read plenty of unhelpful and toxic opinions online. If you have a passion for something, and you're willing to put in the hard work to achieve your dream - then go for it.

Ed

Becoming a veterinarian is my main special interest. Particularly an exotics veterinarian. I'm not crazy about dogs. they are nice but they are just not my favorite kind of animal or something I would personally have as a pet. I would rather have a ferret or kinkajou.

Loving animals is not a requirement to be a vet. Just like loving children is not a requirement to be a pediatrician.

Anyway it seems like everywhere I turn no one wants me to be a vet. My parents and people I know personally know "dem's fightin' words" if they tell me I can't be a vet. And if they are smart they just do not bring it up. My mom just kind of plays along... Something I wish she would have done when I was younger instead of telling me I could never be one because of my undiagnosed at the time dyscalculia. Several my family members are very ableist when it comes to school accommodations. "Oh they are just for lazy people who do not want to study" that is coming from my brother who was the perfect A student and everything came easy to him. he says accommodations are just for black people so they can get through med school easier so people can have token black doctors. I did not talk to him for almost a year after he said that.

But everywhere I look online people basically say it's not worth it to be a vet. Especially at my age. It isn't my fault I got sick at 19. It isn't my fault my mother sheltered me from the world for as long as she could and wouldn't let me do anything unless something specifically for special needs.

I can't even watch vet shows without getting depressed and suicidal. I wish I could tell my mother but she would just take it personal and threaten to have me put in the mental hospital. Or to tell my psychiatrist I need more antidepressant or to tell my caseworker to deal with it like she does everything.

It's sad you aren't taken seriously. As a teenager, l told my stepdad that l wanted to go to Europe. He laughed and said almost-when pigs fly. I babysat, saved up my money and went to Europe for a year after high school. And that was a game changer. I was taken at face value abroad, made some friends, had new experiences, so worth it after parents who chose to ignore me and not encourage or support me.

You are over 18 you can choose for yourself

Listen any of the stories of successful actors, artists, authors,...anyone with a new business idea or invention. The first thing they will tell you is the hundreds of times they were told "NO".

I can understand that if you are somewhat sensitive to that,...I get it,...so many of us are told what we can't do because of our autism. You know what? The #1 profession for autistics,...medical professionals.

Listen, if you've got the smarts and the drive,...I am sorry, but "F" the nay-sayers. Elon Musk,..."Don't tell people what you are going to do,...just show them what you've done." To many people want to bring others down in order to make themselves feel a bit more superior. "Don't tell me what I can't do,...when I'm already doing it."

Become what you want to be.

You are over 18 you can choose for yourself

I need driving lessons live in the middle of nowhere. I have to depend on my mother or case worker to take me to them (since the driving teacher refuses to pick me up at my house). But neither one of them are reliable. My mother is not a good driving teacher. If I make one mistake, she freaks out and ends the lesson. At least she doesn't scream at me like the one driving teacher who would trigger my PTSD and wonder why I was sitting in the road. Lady, I'm going to get us both killed if you keep screaming at me. I told her exactly what was going on she got butt hurt thinking I was accusing her of hitting me. No, I was saying that when people scream it reminds me of those that did and my body just reacts.

I need driving lessons live in the middle of nowhere. I have to depend on my mother or case worker to take me to them (since the driving teacher refuses to pick me up at my house). But neither one of them are reliable. My mother is not a good driving teacher. If I make one mistake, she freaks out and ends the lesson. At least she doesn't scream at me like the one driving teacher who would trigger my PTSD and wonder why I was sitting in the road. Lady, I'm going to get us both killed if you keep screaming at me. I told her exactly what was going on she got butt hurt thinking I was accusing her of hitting me. No, I was saying that when people scream it reminds me of those that did and my body just reacts.

I think that you need to get yourself into a position were you do not depend on so many people. This something that you are going to have to do yourself. Get that attitude where if you want something done, you are going to do it. It will be hard and will take a long time, but this is what you are to have to do to get what you want.

I think that you need to get yourself into a position were you do not depend on so many people. This something that you are going to have to do yourself. Get that attitude where if you want something done, you are going to do it. It will be hard and will take a long time, but this is what you are to have to do to get what you want.

So exactly what am I supposed to do?

Anyway it seems like everywhere I turn no one wants me to be a vet.
If you have the resources and the minimum aptitude, what is to stop you. If you DO have dyscalculia, that may mean that you don't have the necessary aptitude, but that won't be the fault of someone else.

You should probably get past that barrier, first, before investing serious money into a degree program.

Last edited:
The road to victory is long and steep. One step after another. You are doing the right thing next, right now. Think like a warrior does. Only dont focus on the problem, rather the goals, the simple steps, needed next.
Like building a spiral staircase. Ever upwards.
The ppl who are too critical dont get to be a part of my new me thing i am doing for myself. They are dream killers.
" whats needed most is a group of like-minded positive and supportive people"..

As you get older, it will get harder. Can't you just apply and proceed? You are old enough to make your own choices. Vet school is very competitive. There will be many bright, young sparks sparring for slots. What is stopping you from getting in there and applying?

If you have the resources and the minimum aptitude, what is to stop you. If you DO have dyscalculia, that may mean that you don't have the necessary aptitude, but that won't be the fault of someone else.

You should probably get past that barrier, first, before investing serious money into a degree program.

As you get older, it will get harder. Can't you just apply and proceed? You are old enough to make your own choices. Vet school is very competitive. There will be many bright, young sparks sparring for slots. What is stopping you from getting in there and applying?

The lack of a driver's license, a knee injury, a back injury (I can't get to the doctor to get them treated until I get my driver's license since I can't depend on anyone to take me anywhere. There is no public transport in this town). And most vet schools won't even consider you until you have had some experience working in the field.

Every vet I have asked won't even let me volunteer to clean up and this was pre covid. Vet tech programs very rarely let you keep the credits you've earned there to use them to transfer.

And very few of you are making me feel any better.

Last edited:
Sounds like there's a whole lot of reasons to not do it. Might as well give up. (Or maybe, instead, do it)

I can't get to the doctor to get them treated until I get my driver's license since I can't depend on anyone to take me anywhere. There is no public transport in this town.
If you are in the US, there are medical transport drivers available if you are on Medicaid. You have to schedule them a couple of days in advance, though.
And most vet schools won't even consider you until you have had some experience working in the field.

Every vet I have asked won't even let me volunteer to clean up and this was pre covid. Vet tech programs very rarely let you keep the credits you've earned there to use them to transfer.
It sounds like circumstances, not your family, are keeping you from pursuing this. If those circumstances really are blocking that dream, you should stop blaming your family.
What would make you feel better?

If you can resolve your transporation problems, you could volunteer at a local animal shelter. They always need help taking care of the animals. I seem to recall that you are artistic. Have you considered designing a poster or a t-shirt design that could be sold to support your local animal shelter? They always need help with fund raising. Maybe just call your local shelter, explain your situation to them and ask if there is anything you can do to help. It's a small start toward long term goals but might give you a lot of personal satisfaction.

So exactly what am I supposed to do?

For one, there are several ways to gain some mobility. Look into your transportation options like Uber, Lift, taxis, ride-sharing, shuttle buses, etc. You will pay by the mile, but may actually be less expensive than owning and operating a vehicle of your own.

For one, there are several ways to gain some mobility. Look into your transportation options like Uber, Lift, taxis, ride-sharing, shuttle buses, etc. You will pay by the mile, but may actually be less expensive than owning and operating a vehicle of your own.

Lift won't come out here. When I say rural, I mean rural.

The lack of a driver's license, a knee injury, a back injury (I can't get to the doctor to get them treated until I get my driver's license since I can't depend on anyone to take me anywhere. There is no public transport in this town). And most vet schools won't even consider you until you have had some experience working in the field.

I know what will make you feel better, becoming a independent person. But nobody here is going to do that for you. All that we can do is give advice. You have to suck it up and do it. Nobody else is going to do it for you, so you might as well get to it. Make a plan to overcome your problems in steps. It will be very hard and take a long time. Be as positive as you can and do not give up! I hope that you can achieve your goals.

I grew up in a rural area. When I worked I walked and or biked to a job summer and winter. I had no access to a parents car, which belonged to them.

Made pizza at a pizzeria, cleaned hotel rooms, babysat, worked at a laundry. All so that I could leave and put myself through school.

I never could ride a bike without falling off. I can't walk far due to my back and knee injury and don't have a dependable way to get to a doctor about having them fixed. Medicare buses only cover rides their providers... And you have to wait till everyone else on the bus it's finished with their appointment too before you can go home.

Maybe try some online learning, and study any animals you can either keep yourself, or get access to. If you want this, you will need to find a way forward that's realistic for you. I don't think it's surprising others are not encouraging you, because you don't even seem to think yourself that there's any way you could achieve this.

But people achieve things all the time that others may think are impossible for them, by finding ways to take steps towards their goal. If you experience a lot of difficulty taking a first step, probably therapy or motivational counselling would be helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom