• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which subjects at high school made you most anxious?

Misty Avich

I'm just angry
V.I.P Member
I'd say PE tops the list for me (Phys Ed). I often struggled with team games because for some reason I never understood the rules of those games, like hockey and netball. And I hated rounders (which is similar to baseball I think). I'd get anxiety and panic attacks when having to play that, but the teachers forced me, as it was just part of the curriculum. I liked PE activities where you work in partners or groups, but not teams.

Also science made me anxious, though only in the first year of high school. I didn't understand science at all and we often got a ton of homework.

I was worried about math before starting high school, because of the stories that went around about math teachers being aggressive and throwing board erasers across the room at your head if you were bad at math (and I struggled with math). But it turned out that all the math teachers I ever had at school were really nice and even fun.

I found cookery a bit daunting because I just couldn't grasp it and had to keep relying on the other children to help. I had trouble paying attention to the instructions and was scared I'd make my dessert wrong. It was also very fast-paced, and I'd often get told off by the teacher for dithering too much.

Drama was also daunting, because sometimes it could be very embarrassing. The teacher often made us do activities that were nightmarish to shy students such as myself. The boys loved drama, as it was a chance they were allowed to mess around and show off.

What subjects at high school were most daunting for you? (I say high school because the school system is different in other parts of the world, but I'd say approximately between ages 11 and 16).

Chemistry. Forced to drop out after three semesters to keep up my GPA.

My first real disaster.

P.E. A no-brainer. Up to this day, I am still scared of flying balls and flinch when I hear a ball hit the ground somewhere. Being the last one "chosen" into a team was truly the highlight of my day.
But well, we have other strengths.

Was entirely based on the teacher and if I got on with them.

I enjoyed PE myself. Was average in the lessons, but it was nice to fully engage the body, rather than just the mind.

Ed

PE. Simple and clear! It was my worst nightmare to play these team games with my clumsiness.
I had some traumatic times in PE. One time we had to play this game I'd never heard of before in the gym, with another couple of classes (so there were like 80 girls altogether), and part of the complicated game was to try and run around the gym holding hands with a partner before the ball got to the goal or whatever, and the teacher picked the partners. I ended up having to run with my bully, and she was absolutely mortified that she had to hold hands with me in front of 80 girls. Even I felt sorry for her for having to hold hands with me. It was so embarrassing.

I had some traumatic times in PE. One time we had to play this game I'd never heard of before in the gym, with another couple of classes (so there were like 80 girls altogether), and part of the complicated game was to try and run around the gym holding hands with a partner before the ball got to the goal or whatever, and the teacher picked the partners. I ended up having to run with my bully, and she was absolutely mortified that she had to hold hands with me in front of 80 girls. Even I felt sorry for her for having to hold hands with me. It was so embarrassing.
Whoa that's.. One of the dumbest games i have ever heard and it sounds physically hard too even for NTs! I am sorry you had to go through that.

I used to lie saying i was sick usually, just so i could skip but most of the times they did not believe me. Sometimes I am SO glad i am not a kid anymore!

PE here too, I also lack coordination, are scared of any fast moving object used in team sports, dislike the loud noises, was selected last, uncomfortable about the group showering and clothes change, only fun part was when we ran orienteering, which basically meant the teacher drove us to the forrest and we walked around with a map for an hour, and then was picked up by the teacher again :)

Whoa that's.. One of the dumbest games i have ever heard and it sounds physically hard too even for NTs! I am sorry you had to go through that.
Yes, it was a complicated game that we were forced to participate in. I just wish we'd done activities that didn't involve stupid complicated games, like climbing up ropes and stuff like that, which is what PE originally is about. Games should be optional and for extracurricular activities only. Mandatory sessions should involve actual exercise like running, jumping, climbing, etc.
I used to lie saying i was sick usually, just so i could skip but most of the times they did not believe me. Sometimes I am SO glad i am not a kid anymore!
Like they say, work can be exhausting but at least we don't have to do PE any more. :laughing:

PE here too, I also lack coordination, are scared of any fast moving object used in team sports, dislike the loud noises, was selected last, uncomfortable about the group showering and clothes change, only fun part was when we ran orienteering, which basically meant the teacher drove us to the forrest and we walked around with a map for an hour, and then was picked up by the teacher again :)
When I was at school the teachers usually picked groups or partners for us to prevent anyone being picked last. But that came with its own problems, as they often had no idea who were friends and who were enemies.

I liked athletics, where we done different activities on a field, such as racing, long/high jump, javelin throwing, stuff like that. It was easy and not complicated to understand, and there were no rules (other than "don't hurt each other", but that's just common sense).

only fun part was when we ran orienteering, which basically meant the teacher drove us to the forrest and we walked around with a map for an hour, and then was picked up by the teacher again :)

I did that too, there was a forest right next to the school so the teacher just sent us running into that and assumed we would survive. :) During those classes we did pretty much everything except orienteering. :laughing: I liked it, I liked PE class, I was not the type that liked to sit still behind a desk, I enjoyed hard physical exercise.

Something I didn't like, it didn't really make me anxious but we had a class called "kristendom". That means "Christianity". It was a solid 45 minutes crammed full of religion. And the teacher was a small, elderly woman with a bad temper. Mike Tyson would have been a little scared of her, she was rough. That class was a little stressing.

Last edited:
You PE classes were not mixed gender? Mine were in high-school - sometimes we could select different activities, that kind of made it gender specific, like there wasn't many guys in the meditation class I selected:)

You PE classes were not mixed gender? Mine were in high-school - sometimes we could select different activities, that kind of made it gender specific, like there wasn't many guys in the meditation class I selected:)
At the elementary school PE classes were mixed gender but at high school we were strictly separated from the boys.

Something I didn't like, it didn't really make me anxious but we had a class called "kristendom". That means "Christianity". It was a solid 45 minutes crammed full of religion. And the teacher was a small, eldery woman with a bad temper. Mike Tyson would have been a little scared of her, she was rough. That class was a little stressing
I don't think we had "Christianity" in high-school, but did in the school before high-school.

PE, sort of.

I didnt want to do any of that nonsense, and eventually... I just didnt do it. Turns out there wasnt much they can do about that. They could sort of try to verbally encourage me to do it, but this ended one day when some stupid football or whatever got too close to me and my patience snapped so I just dropkicked it into the parking lot and wandered off. I was left alone in PE from that point onward (all the way to graduation) and eventually it was just that I'd pace around the track over and over for the entire period while everyone else did who knows what. Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays, those were the golf club days for me and a very small group of others. One of the very few things from school I have genuinely fond memories of.

Really it was a blessing for everyone, it's not like I knew the rules to any of the sports whatsoever anyway. Except golf.

But even without PE being a source of anxiety, there was still the other source, which was any class that for any conceivable reason wanted me to give some dumb presentation in front of everyone. Holy heck I haaaaaaated that. I remember most times when that'd happen, there'd be specific days for everyone to give their presentations, but it usually took more than one day to get through them, so on any given day when that was happening I was just praying the clock would run out before my turn came and I could go onto the next class.

Of course that just meant I'd have to do that nonsense the NEXT day anyway.

Also, the bus thing. I dont know if this has a name but every now and then they'd do this safety drill with the buses where you hear a brief presentation about it while sitting on a bus in the parking lot, and then they'd open the rear door and everyone would have to slide off the edge of it one by one. I dont remember why but I *really* hated this, it gave me anxiety.

Lastly, any science class. Aside from my absolute disinterest in anything that wasnt computer related, I've also always had an odd phobia related to having to deal with chemicals of any sort, and of course science class was often about that.

English, History, and, to a lesser extent, Math.

I loathed English class, or any variations of the class, because of the fact that it was about vocabulary, grammar, and writing essays. Ugh. Though my home life didn't help this any.

History class was boring as hell. I had trouble remember alot of it and I honestly didn't care, at the time, about any of it. Anything I do remember is because it was beaten into me hard.

Math class was hit an miss. I hated the later stuff. Like fractions, trigonometry, algebra. I never did calculus, but I know I would of struggled in that significantly.

Definitely PE, but they all made me anxious. Just being at school made me anxious for safety reasons. As a result, I rarely went then finish high-school from home.

I guess that growing up in a poor, third-world country has it advantages. I was a free-range kid with PE classes that consisted of a bunch of kids playing soccer or chasing each other. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom