• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When did you lose your last milk/baby tooth?

MildredHubble

V.I.P Member
I know, strange question right? :smilecat:

I'm just curious as I was 20-21 when I recall the last of my milk teeth falling out, they were molars. It took me by surprise as I thought I had lost all my milk teeth, but even then I was 17-18 when the previous set of milk molars fell out.

I was just sitting talking to some fellow students at college, when I felt a sharp object irritate my tongue. I assumed it was just a fragment of the food that I had just eaten and pushed my tongue to dislodge it and then I heard a cracking sound and I suddenly was holding a tooth in my hand!

I was absolutely shocked and stood there in disbelief thinking that one of my adult teeth had just fallen out. I wasn't sure what to do.

One of the other students started to condescendingly ask me why I didn't throw it away and if I was "waiting for the tooth fairy". Well I didn't want to throw my adult tooth away if it could be put back (which I believe is possible sometimes).

I was just wondering if I'm unique in still having milk teeth so late or if it's more common than I thought. I just read an article where tangentially, they mentioned that milk/baby teeth are usually dealt with earlier in a person's life.

I lost my first baby tooth at age 4 (which is early), and had all my adult teeth by age 11.

Honestly I don't remember, but I lost all my milk tooths pre-teen... not sure when I got my wisdom teeth, I do remember the troubles they caused thou....

I lost my first baby tooth at age 4 (which is early), and had all my adult teeth by age 11.
Wow that does seem quick! I remember losing my first baby tooth at around 6 years old when standing in line at school and the teacher pushed the line back and my friend's head bumped my front teeth and one started to fall out. I wonder how long it would have stayed there if not for that :smilecat:

Honestly I don't remember, but I lost all my milk tooths pre-teen... not sure when I got my wisdom teeth, I do remember the troubles they caused thou....
Wisdom teeth are awful things! I hope they aren't causing issues for you now? :)

I had my wisdom teeth removed. They didn't come in until I was 25 and the lower ones until I was 32. To be honest the extraction sites of the lower ones still cause me trouble.

I thought 15 years old was late for that. I guess I’m wrong
I thought I had lost the last of my milk teeth by 15 too. In fact that's when they seemed to have stopped falling out and why when they started falling out again I thought I'd lost an adult tooth :)

Wow that does seem quick! I remember losing my first baby tooth at around 6 years old when standing in line at school and the teacher pushed the line back and my friend's head bumped my front teeth and one started to fall out. I wonder how long it would have stayed there if not for that :smilecat:
6 is about average. I was incredibly early.

Wisdom teeth are awful things! I hope they aren't causing issues for you now? :)
No, I'm fine now, they took the bottom ones away, the upper ones didn't cause trouble, so now the ones they removed are just a story I enjoy to tell people going to the dentist to have theirs removed, like when the dentist told her assistant that it was ok to leave the room, because the assistant started to get a bit white with all the blood during the extraction, or for the other one, when the dentist had to crawl on top of the chair to get leverage to pull it out :)
I had my wisdom teeth removed. They didn't come in until I was 25 and the lower ones until I was 32. To be honest the extraction sites of the lower ones still cause me trouble.
Sorry to hear that, what kind of trouble, if I may ask? - It took me years before I got an almost normal feeling back in my cheek, the feeling is ok now, like nothing I think about on a daily basis :)

No, I'm fine now, they took the bottom ones away, the upper ones didn't cause trouble, so now the ones they removed are just a story I enjoy to tell people going to the dentist to have theirs removed, like when the dentist told her assistant that it was ok to leave the room, because the assistant started to get a bit white with all the blood during the extraction, or for the other one, when the dentist had to crawl on top of the chair to get leverage to pull it out :)

Sorry to hear that, what kind of trouble, if I may ask? - It took me years before I got an almost normal feeling back in my cheek, the feeling is ok now, like nothing I think about on a daily basis :)
Wait! You were conscious when they removed them??! :oops: They knocked me out both times, I don't think I could have coped if I were conscious.

The trouble I'm having with the extraction sites is that the wisdom teeth were almost growing into the hinge of my lower jaw which is why the dental surgeon agreed they needed to be extracted.

The way the gums have healed means that there's still some crowding right at the back of my jaw. The gum was quite displaced by the wisdom teeth so I suppose there's excess gum there. It can get a bit irritated and tight, causing similar pain to the wisdom teeth ironically. It's better than having those huge wisdom teeth stuck in there though.

My lower jaw is quite small and there's barely room for a full set of teeth, let alone wisdom teeth lol! But I've heard that a dentist can trim away the excess gum if necessary. I may have to opt for that but it does seem the problem is slowly shrinking on it's own.

Wait! You were conscious when they removed them??! :oops: They knocked me out both times, I don't think I could have coped if I were conscious.

The trouble I'm having with the extraction sites is that the wisdom teeth were almost growing into the hinge of my lower jaw which is why the dental surgeon agreed they needed to be extracted.
Mine were growing more horizontal than vertical like the rest of the teeth, growing towards the other teeth, so hurting them, yeah I was fully conscious - the first one, where the dentist needed to climb on top of the chair I was laying in, was... well, extracted by brute force :) after that experience and a jaw that was painful for months after, I kindly requested another approach for the second one, so that was extracted surgically, piece by piece (the one where the assistant was told she could leave the room). I couldn't see what was going on in the last case, so didn't affect me during the procedure.
The way the gums have healed means that there's still some crowding right at the back of my jaw. The gum was quite displaced by the wisdom teeth so I suppose there's excess gum there. It can get a bit irritated and tight, causing similar pain to the wisdom teeth ironically. It's better than having those huge wisdom teeth stuck in there though.
Auch, that sounds bad!! Any permanent discomfort from it?
My lower jaw is quite small and there's barely room for a full set of teeth, let alone wisdom teeth lol! But I've heard that a dentist can trim away the excess gum if necessary. I may have to opt for that but it does seem the problem is slowly shrinking on it's own.
Sounds good if it is solving it self, better than the alternative - my top wisdom teeth were moving downwards after the pressure from the lower ones were removed, so my dentist cut some of the "spikes" away from the top ones to protect my lower gums. Not sure I'm gonna tell her about any random discomfort I might feel in the future after that :)

I was maybe around 9 when I had my last baby tooth pulled out by the dentist so the adult tooth that was coming in would grow properly. My wisdom teeth started coming in when I was around 13, and I had to get them all removed just a few days before Christmas. The doctors gave the teeth back to me in a jar and I put them under my pillow when I got home. The next morning the "tooth fairy" left me $100!:grinning:

Mine were growing more horizontal than vertical like the rest of the teeth, growing towards the other teeth, so hurting them, yeah I was fully conscious - the first one, where the dentist needed to climb on top of the chair I was laying in, was... well, extracted by brute force :) after that experience and a jaw that was painful for months after, I kindly requested another approach for the second one, so that was extracted surgically, piece by piece (the one where the assistant was told she could leave the room). I couldn't see what was going on in the last case, so didn't affect me during the procedure.
That sounds like a rough experience :emojiconfused: I just can't imagine having something so huge pulled out of my jaw with brute force!

My bottom wisdom teeth were growing in at 45 degree angles. One smashed into the tooth beside it and caused the first cavity I had ever had. This was all because my previous dentist was one of those sadists that believes putting up with pain and discomfort is far better than actually fixing a problem.

Auch, that sounds bad!! Any permanent discomfort from it?

I feel like my jaw doesn't line up like it used to and that can be uncomfortable. Hopefully it's resolving itself, however slowly. I was 34 when I had them removed so that's nearly a decade ago. I'm glad that my wisdom teeth didn't come in at 13 like @GrownupGirl 's did, though a nice $100 from the tooth fairy would have been nice!

From everyone's responses so far it seems I'm an outlier. Not only did my milk teeth take the best part of two decades to depart, my wisdom teeth took their sweet time too. It seems crazy to think it took 3 decades to get my lower wisdom teeth when some people have them at 13! :openmouth:

I remember the day before the surgery to remove my wisdom teeth when I was 17, I was thinking I would be going back to my summer job the day after but the boss said she thought not. My boss said as right, that was pretty intense the few days after. I spent most of that time sleeping it off.

I lost all my first set of teeth by the time I was in fifth grade. I remember my bio dad ribbing me for spending tooth fairy money on milk duds one time. That made me laugh.

I lost my milk teeth very early.
The last one was one of my upper front teeth and I was six yrs. old.

The wisdom teeth didn't come in until I was 15 and there wasn't enough room in my jaw line for them.
They barely surfaced and ached.
I had them extracted with only local anesthetic.
I don't want to be put under for anything if I can help it.

Then I decided to get braces and had to have four more teeth removed to make room for the repositioning. Awake for all 8 teeth to be extracted. Two at a time!

I never lost my canine teeth. I guess I was either born with my adult canines or I still have my baby teeth there.

I was 13 when I lost my last baby tooth. I thought I had all my adult teeth, but I was eating a block of fruit and nut toffee when it popped out painlessly and got stuck in the toffee. Kind of fitting in a way, losing a tooth to eating a lot of toffee!

All my wisdom teeth fully came through at age 22.

I think I was around 16 when I lost my last milk tooth. For some reason, losing my milk teeth was a weird experience throughout my life. I guess I thought I was done around 12 and then like 3 more teeth came out over the years. I felt the same way as you, like one of my adult teeth had fallen out out just like that. It felt sort of surreal.

Where I live (Europe), they don't put you under general anaesthesia for wisdom teeth removal unless there's a very good reason for it (like, someone experiencing such intense panic about it that otherwise it's just not possible, or some other medical reason). Otherwise, it's local anaethetic. I got all 4 of them out, 2 at a time, and I remember it being okay. I asked to be able to listen to an audio book via headphones during it so I'd be distracted. It felt weird, especially when they cracked the teeth in half to get them out better, but it was manageable.

New Threads

Top Bottom