• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Were Your Past Obsessions?

My past obsessions have been Guinness World Records Books (i.e. collecting the different years), origami, long words, ArcadePreHacks.com, magic tricks, FR2.ME, Happy Wheels, my Nintendo 3DS then my Android phone. I also recently had an obsession with planes, but that's sort of gone away now.

toy soldiers, dinosaurs-2nd grade?, toy soldiers, science books in the library, books, history-Daniel Boone, Native Indians 5th-6th grades, camping/nature + other obsessions I'm sure I will rememeber.

In questionable order, from childhood on up: dinosaurs, acquatic life, encyclopedias, animals, fighter jets, tanks, rockets, Japanese monsters (Godzilla, et al), firearms, edged weapons, Quake, TFC, Tolkein. That about covers the major ones. Minor, short-term ones have included: Van Morrison, Gerry Rafferty, Heavy Metal Music, ER (the TV show), James Bond movies, and I'm sure, a few others I'm too lazy to dredge up right now.

Oh, yes, and a poster above reminded me of one I can't belive I forgot. A major one from childhood: Rocks and minerals. I was a rockhound for many years!

Last edited:
You sound like Bart Simpson.

I chuckled.

Edit: SSB, Metallica, RHCP, Disturbed, Godsmack, Hunter Hayes, Taylor Swift, Lord of the Rings, Skyrim, Borderlands, Tattoos, Caffeine, Bourbon, Guiness, Canada.

Social mannerisms
Girls
Pokemon
Scrabble
COD
Architecture/art history
Extraterrestrial life
Astronomy
Bright colors
Virginia Woolf
Writing
Arithmetic
Country music
Rock music
Lady gaga
Guitar hero
South park
White collar (show)
Acting
Trying to be on a reality tv show
Vans
French
Latin
The thesaurus
Neurological anomalies
Super powers
"charm"
Philosophy
"perfection"
"social normalcy"
Showing society their "normalcy" is bs; wrong; ruining "society"
Being shunned for it^^
Feeling societally superior because of it^^
introspection; self-awareness

I missed some but I want a be a cowboy, or a pirate if I can fenagle(sp?) either, or both, of those things in this lifetime. Ambitious... I know.

Last edited:
I used to be obsessed with the Rolling Stones. Just after my 20th birthday a friend lent me a couple of their albums and within days I was hooked to not just the music but by the band members too. I started going round record shops and buying second hand cassette tapes of all their music from the early 60s onwards. I also bought books and anything about them I could find which was fascinating. They were and still are such an iconic band as well as great characters but I only listen to their music very occasionally now and the obsession has largely died out. But the Stones music and the lives of the band members is a world of its own.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, up through the MekPak 3.1

I started playing after I got MW4 Vengeance, and then played the multiplayer on Mercs for about 4-8 hours a day for at least six years until I started going to college. It lost some of its appeal, since it got... really easy. There were only a few guys I could play with who were fun anymore; everything else was like shooting fish a barrel. I had all the weapon slots, tonnage, max armor, about a dozen different typical configurations memorized for each mech, and then all the configs the guys I played with usually ran on top of that. I could tell what weapons they were using from seeing them fire, and I would know where they were mounted, and what areas they weakened to make room. It got to the point that if the rest of my team was down and there were only a couple opponents left, they would suicide instead of giving me more kills. 1v2, 1v3, I could do all day long.

And even with being able to memorize all that... I could barely remember my telephone number until I was almost 20. :p

Past obsession? Website design. Started out as a hobby and developed into the real thing professionally. However it didn't last long having been caught up in Silicon Valley and the Dot-Com crash. Couldn't find work in the field for so long eventually the compulsion and inspiration to create something left me.

Since then I've cycled back into photography and plastic modelling. Both were obsessions more than hobbies in earlier times! Whatever I go into I do so with both feet. NOW I understand why.

Ninja turtles(k-2nd grade)
power rangers(2-3 grade)
military fighter jets, star wars, Indiana jones(3,4,5 grade)
dragonball z(6,7,8)
pokemon(7th grade)
runescape(9th grade)
cars (10th grade til 22 years old)

Always loved Disney world and I think about going there all the time

The most dominant ones have been:

~mummies and Ancient Egypt
~Native Americans, apaches especially
~corsets (I own a bunch >.<, a few are very authentic historically)
~Queen Elizabeth I (and Robert Dudley)

Ancient Egypt has been one of mine that is re-occurring. Same with cats. When I was younger I was really into Pokemon and Digimon too. My current obsession, however, is anything Russian or Soviet. I have Russian heritage and now I'm obsessed. I'm even learning the language, haha.

Last edited:
Zombies. Yeah, I know, but at the time it was the only thing that I could think of. Of course, I had much, much more, but I can't remember them for the life of me.

Photography. I photographed my University's football games standing on the sidelines. It was fun & they were State champs 2 years in a row.

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles

Japanese culture

The bands/solo artists:
-HIM
-Oasis
-Einsturzende Neubauten
-Dir en Grey
-Big Bang
-David Bowie
-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
-Marilyn Manson
-Joy Division
-Bauhaus
-Nirvana
-Malajube

Satanism

Serial Killers (still kind of an obsession but not As Much)

Drawing and writing

Live/experimental/avant garde art including people like Antonin Artaud and Marina Abramovic

Subcultures and fashion throughout the years

Probably so so so many more that I can't think of but these were the most influential

My past obsessions included:
Arachnids, I would read and memorize everything I could about them.
Calvin and Hobbes
Chess
Programming (I still code, just not as obsessively)
Halo

Last edited:
I was obsessed with Fiat cars, Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo, opening sequences for consoles and Windows, Hackintosh, Xross Media Bar... I became a hacker with the obsession with the Xross Media Bar, trying to run it on my Xbox 360, to dump the PS3 system. Now I'm trying to get a PS4 and to run the PS4 system on a computer.

These are the most influential/memorable of the things I was obsessed with:
  • Dinosaurs, Dinotopia, Jurassic Park: I read the same dinosaur encyclopedias by Paul Gregory over and over.
  • Lilo and Stitch
  • Paleontology
  • Epochs, timeline history of Earth
  • Eagles and birds of prey, drawing anatomical diagrams comparing them to dromaeosaurids.
  • Magic and Fantasy Books, talking to trees and the wind.
  • The Lord of the Rings, followed by a long period of creating my own fantasy world which I still work on. Including maps, cultures, political events, wars, time periods, languages, scripts, legends, mythology, mythical creatures, clothing, ships and other vehicles, etc...
  • Playing RuneScape online.
  • Psychic energy, Spirits, Psychic vampires/vampyres, otherkin, past lives, etc...
  • 'Goth' culture, including music, clothing, makeup and bad poetry
  • The French language, culture. I began thinking in French and translated everything into French.
  • Playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
  • Wearing and making period-style corsets.
  • Restrictive eating and purging: I was diagnosed with Eating Disorder NOS
  • Intense exercise and eating regimes
  • The occult and alternative religion: I made lists and charts regarding different types of data included in chiromancy, tarot, Norse Runes and ancient alphabets, zodiac charts and star meanings, associations and acts of Biblical and Judeo-Christian angels and Catholic Saints, the Kabbalistic tree of life, chakras, etc.
  • Chemistry and math
  • Now, Chemistry, Dinosaurs, Norse Mythology, languages, learning and applying recipes and chemical properties of plant-based materials to create vegan meals

It's cool to see how things led into eachother.

This is a companion thread to the "current obsessions" one, only this time we can talk about what we used to be obsessed with rather than what we're currently obsessed with. I like talking about my past obsessions almost as much as I like talking about my current ones, because I enjoy the feeling of nostalgia it gives me.

When I was very small (like age 3 or 4), I loved dinosaurs. I remember having dinosaur books and plastic dinosaur toys. I also really enjoyed The Land Before Time movies.

During elementary school, I started obsessing over an animated film called Balto, about a half-wolf, half-dog hybrid who retrieves medicine in a snowstorm to save sick children. After seeing the movie, my goal in life was to be a "musher" - in other words, a sled dog racer. I wanted to live in Alaska, assemble a team of huskies/malamutes and run the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Since Balto was half-wolf, I obsessed over wolves too. My bedroom was covered in pictures of wolves and I knew everything about them. I liked pretending to be a wolf too. Some of the other girls at school thought it was cool to like wolves so they started liking them too and they tried to play with me. But being the aspie that I am, I didn't appreciate that very much, lol.

At age 8, I obsessed over Pokemon, like many children in my generation. I literally spent hours huddled in a corner of the couch under a lamp, playing it on my Gameboy. My mom would periodically tell me to put the game down and go outside for fresh air, because she worried I would make myself sick by playing the game for so long. I wasn't interested in playing competitively with other people - I just preferred to catch and train Pokemon on my own. I think the highest-level Pokemon I trained was a level 67 Blastoise.

My interest in the Pokemon TV show led to a decade-long obsession with anime. I obsessed over specific series, often two similar series at a time (which I call "double obsessions"), and they changed every 6 months to 3 years. The series I obsessed over included:

Tenchi Muyo - I saw every season they aired on Toonami - No Need for Tenchi, Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo.

Hamtaro - I fondly remember watching this every day at 8 AM and 5 PM during the summer of '01.

Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha - my first "double obsession", and one that carries great sentimental value since I shared it with someone else who was just as passionate about it as I was.

Naruto and One Piece - another "double obsession". Not too many significant memories tied to this one though.

Hellsing and Trinity Blood - another double obsession, and a critical one because it was something I obsessed over at a very lonely and turbulent time in my life. I was so afraid of transitioning from this obsession to a new one that I held on to it for 3 solid years, even after I had long lost my passion for it. These were the last anime I obsessed over before I gave up the genre entirely in favor of live-action fantasy films.
It is extremely common for people with Asperger's syndrome to have obsessions and interests that they talk about incessantly. These may include trains.

I used to be obsessed with Pokemon and Beanie Babies, and had a friend that shared my obsessions for both. I literally had Pokemon everything and everyone always wanted to trade their cards with me. My dad even found some rare Japanese cards on Ebay for me at one point - I still have them somewhere. I still have several enormous sacks of Beanie Babies in my parents' attic somewhere. I also had an obsession with dinosaurs and even had dinosaur posters in my room. I still miss my dinosaur t-shirts!

As a younger teenager I'd spend all my money going to gigs and seeing bands I liked, because I got so completely into music. I remember going to 3 in a week the same week as my Maths GCSE exam & how furious my parents were. It was worth it, & I passed that exam anyway.

I also had various phases where I'd play either The Sims or Rollercoaster Tycoon constantly for days - I'd eat whilst playing, so I didn't have to stop. Both games are still brilliant. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom