• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last movie you watched?

Last time I went to the theaters was a few years ago, when I saw the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic movie. Apparently this was 2017. I was literally the only one in the screening room (it was roughly noon on a weekday, though).

Reprisal (2018). My rating...
full

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
(I was watching it with my younger family members; honestly forgot how funny some bits of it were. :))

Hell or High Water (written by the same guy who wrote Sicario and Wind River).

It’s one of only three films I can think of that have truly shaken and rattled me to the bone.

Labyrinth
My all time favorite movie...I have it memorized. :D

Really? When I watched Labyrinth again as an adult, I was so spooked by it. It’s basically a film about a predator who pursues a 15-year-old girl, including to the point of drugging her in an attempt to seduce her.

I've been trying to watch more films, starting this year. For a long time I considered movies to be a subpar art compared to literature, and because of this I never experienced many pieces that are amazing, and reach elements that cannot be fully conveyed through words.

Anyway, these are the movies I watched during August:

August 11: Pulse (2001)
Japanese horror. Wherever souls go after we die, it's now full, and the ghosts from that place are starting to leak into our world. And how do they travel? Through the internet.

It's well made. Not very memorable, but enjoyable.

August 13: Chunking Express (1994)
This is an amazing movie. The story consists mainly of two lovesick policemen, but how they deal with their recent breakup, but this doesn't do justice to how the movie. I wouldn't be able to express in brief words how beautiful and charming this film is.
I would recommend this to everyone.

August 14: The Wave (2008)
Good (german) movie. A high school teacher wants to teach his students about the importance of democracy with a practical exercise, making the class of the class an autocracy, which day by day incorporates more elements of an authoritarian government.
It's a german movie, but it's based on the true story of the Third Wave Experiment, carried on by California history teacher Ron Jones in 1967 to make his students understand how many people could accept and support the Nazi regime.

August 15: Rounders (2001)
It's just Matt Damon playing poker.

August 16: Taxi Driver (1976)
Everyone knows this movie already, I won't even attempt to summarize it. It's great, one of the best I've seen last month.

August 17: Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Already a classic. A delusional general believes he discovered, during "the physical act of love", that the Soviet Union has started to secretly attack the United States by means of fluoridation of water, thereby polluting Americans' "precious bodily fluids". He orders to nuke the Soviet Union, which will not only start a nuclear war, but will activate their Doomsday Machine, a device that will blow up the whole world if the Soviet Union is attacked. Now they must try to stop the bomb from falling on Russia.
It's hilarious.

August 18: The Brain from Planet Arous (1957)
A B-movie from the 50s. A brain comes to Earth to take control of the whole planet, and to do this will use his brainy powers: blow things up with radiation (don't ask how) and taking control of any human body.

It's not a good one, but it's kind of charming in its own way.

August 22: Cube (1997)

Horror/suspense movie with a Kafkaesque premise: a group of strangers are trapped in a cube-shaped rooms, and the only exits to the room are door in each face (wall) of the cube they're in, leading to other cube-shaped rooms. Some rooms have deadly traps, so they need to determine which rooms they can go through, to escape the labyrinth.

I didn't love it, but it has some unique quality to it.

August 23: Midnight in Paris (2011)

A film by Woody Allen. Gin, a screenwriter, wants to switch jobs and become a writer. His fiancee, and her parents, aren't too happy about it because his current job is both secure and profitable. One night he gets lost when walking half-drunk on the streets of Paris, and stumbles upon a taxi that takes him to the age he considers "the golden era": 1920s, and there he meets with the Fitzgeralds, with Hemingway, with Dalí and Picasso, with Belmonte, and many others.

It's beautiful movie which I recommend to any lover of literature and arts. The Hemingway portrayal was spot-on, it was hilarious.

August 27: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

A high school student takes a day off and lives some adventures. I know many consider this movie to be modern american classic, but I didn't love it. Not my kind of flick.

August 29: The Others (2001)
Horror movie. A woman and her children believe their house is haunted. Regular story line with an interesting plot twist at the end.

August 30: The Social Network (2001)
The facebook movie. I had heard good things about this one, but I hadn't watched it before because I didn't think a movie about the making facebook could be interesting. But it was interesting, it's not amazing but it's definitely more than the commercial money-grabber I thought it would be.

August 31: The Trial (1964)
Orson Welles adapts Kafka's novel. I always considered Kafka impossible to take to the big screen, but Welles managed to do it remarkably well. Every scene looks beautiful, most elements of the novel are present in the film, and the original content (very much needed, since the novel was left unfinished) fits Kafka's story perfectly.
Also, Orson Welles portrays the advocate as intimidating as I imagined him when reading the novel.

My favorite this month: Chungking Express.

chinking-3.png

That's it for now.

Last edited:
Nightbreed. I’ll spare you my thoughts on it because I doubt anyone wants to read an entire page (or more) on that. I’m a big Clive Barker fan, and I read the book Cabal, which the movie is based on, first.

New Threads

Top Bottom