• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last movie you watched?

It's a very real film.

Just not intended to be taken very seriously.

Not by the audience, and evidently not by the critics either. ;)

I suppose the thing that annoys me is how popular zombies are. You just can't escape them in contemporary culture :rolleyes: I understand it's not meant to be serious, but now this zombie obsession is even spilling over to period time pieces? :eek: I guess I just find this whole zombie craze quite ridiculous. They'll probably pop-up during the next James Bond movie or a remake of The Magnificent Seven.:p Anyway that's enough ranting fro me, at least you had a good time watching it. :)

Maborosi. This was my first time watching a Hirokazu Kore-eda movie and I liked it. Maborosi was his first feature film (he had done documentaries before though) and directors always seem to improve after making their first movie so I'm very interested to see other movies of his. I'm definitely going to be watching a bunch of them the next few weeks.

220px-To_Be_or_Not_to_Be_1942_poster.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_or_Not_to_Be_(1942_film)

"So they call me Concentration Camp Ehrhardt"

"To Be or Not To Be, now regarded as one of the best films of Lubitsch's, Benny's and Lombard's careers, was initially not well received by the public, many of whom could not understand the notion of making fun out of such a real threat as the Nazis. According to Jack Benny's unfinished memoir, published in 1991, his own father walked out of the theater early in the film, disgusted that his son was in a Nazi uniform, and vowed not to set foot in the theater again. Benny convinced him otherwise and his father ended up loving the film, and saw it forty-six times."
To Be or Not to Be (1942 film) - Wikipedia

"The Imitation Game"

Outstanding portrayal (Benedict Cumberbatch) of autistic Cambridge mathematician Dr. Alan Turing whose team managed to create a machine to correctly decipher a stolen Nazi encryption device (Enigma). Fact- not fiction. Many regard this device as perhaps the world's first real computer.

As well, many historians also believe Turing's contributions to the war effort may have shortened the war by as much as two years, and saved as many as 14 million lives. Though for all these contributions, years after the war Turing was tragically prosecuted as a homosexual, which was a crime in Britain in those days. And not in his lifetime was it allowed to discuss what may have ultimately been the greatest secret of the Second World War. One that was not released to the public for some 50 years.

Worth seeing, though at times seeing his autistic interactions with Neurotypicals was painful to observe.

"The Imitation Game"

Outstanding portrayal (Benedict Cumberbatch) of autistic Cambridge mathematician Dr. Alan Turing whose team managed to create a machine to correctly decipher a stolen Nazi encryption device (Enigma). Fact- not fiction. Many regard this device as perhaps the world's first real computer.

As well, many historians also believe Turing's contributions to the war effort may have shortened the war by as much as two years, and saved as many as 14 million lives. Though for all these contributions, years after the war Turing was tragically prosecuted as a homosexual, which was a crime in Britain in those days. And not in his lifetime was it allowed to discuss what may have ultimately been the greatest secret of the Second World War. One that was not released to the public for some 50 years.

Worth seeing, though at times seeing his autistic interactions with Neurotypicals was painful to observe.

The Imitation Game isn’t historically accurate, I’m afraid. The real story is quite different. I read a biography about Turing a few years ago, and I don’t think he was autistic either. Actually he wasn’t at all like the character in the movie. Ugh. You and I were griping the other day about how movies completely screw up and fabricate history for the sake of entertainment. The Imitation Game is yet another example. It’s fun to watch, though.

The Imitation Game isn’t historically accurate, I’m afraid. The real story is quite different. I read a biography about Turing a few years ago, and I don’t think he was autistic either. Actually he wasn’t at all like the character in the movie. Ugh. You and I were griping the other day about how movies completely screw up and fabricate history for the sake of entertainment. The Imitation Game is yet another example. It’s fun to watch, though.

No question that pretty much any consideration of whether one was on the spectrum at the time or earlier pertinent to Dr. Asperger's research will always be a matter of speculation whether it's true or not. Still, I thought Cumberbatch's portrayal historically or not was brilliant. Especially all those social interactions his character struggled with, often clueless of what was expected of him by his Neurotypical associates.

One thing the film got right for certain was how oppressive law and society were towards homosexuals. Right up to the 80s...when things really began to change.

Turing's life wasn't destroyed for being on the spectrum...even if he was autistic. The film did sort of remind me of another historical person of the period- Robert Oppenheimer. Though it was his politics and affiliations that got him into trouble. Yet another person in history that some speculated might have been on the spectrum as well.

I don't know anything personally about Turing in terms of how he carried himself. Though your comments remind me of Burt Lancaster in "Birdman of Alcatraz". That the Robert Stroud Lancaster portrayed in the film was considerably more civil than the actual convict himself. Plenty of surviving ex-guards and prisoners who all had a lot of ugly things to say about the real "birdman". Great acting on Lancaster's part, but not particularly authentic.

Last edited:
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod.

I was surprised to find out at a later date that the song is actually It's a Beautiful Day in "This" Neighborhood.

"Das Boot" - The Extended Version

"Forty thousand German sailors went to sea on U-Boats during World War Two. Thirty thousand never returned."

Terminator: Dark Fate

My intuition told me to just watch the pay-per-view rather than buy the DVD. I was right.

Oh my. What a disappointment. :rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom