• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mary Anne

V.I.P Member
All I want to do (or can do) is hyper focus and be a studio fine artist up it’s not financially or remotely possible. Back in the 1980s, I was a professional artist who created illustrations, animations, and advertising for corporations (pre computer society). I did not have to deal with people, or leave my studio unless to acquire or deliver jobs. A lot of crap happened (including addictions) and I wound up not working for decades (went in disability). Now, I have to work, and want to work (and kicked off disability- long story).

Jobs are all horrible!!! Lots of noise, people, technology to constantly keep up with. Gone are days of relaxing, focused work. I miss the old days when craftsmen worked alone, with their hands. My dream would be to live alone in a rural area, and be productive in quiet, without glaring lights, tons of human interactions. All I can get in my big city are jobs in customer service which is in a harsh gigantic store like Walmart, or Home Depot. How are folks here finding employment that fits their aspie needs?

I am 61, have increasing sensitivity processing disorder ( or the world is just getting more chaotic while I stay the same), work full time in a job I hate, and have great financial difficulties. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis, and decreasing eyesight. Yet, I must work and work for many years to come. I am alone (no trust funds). Any thoughts on my challenges would be helpful. I cannot continue at my current job. The 80 mile round trip daily driving commute is very dangerous to failing eyes. The sensory processing leaves me screaming silently in my head. What types of jobs are others here engaged in?

Last edited:
I mostly do PC repair. But I would like to move to web development at some point. I can relate to the sensory issues. I think that my SPD issues are getting worse as I get older. I use to get migraine headaches when I was a kid because I would get sensory overload and not realize it. I am one of those that's got to work in a room by himself.

BTW: You said that you're a graphic artist. Have you ever tried to learn photoshop?

Last edited:
I'm looking for work at the moment.

Not having much luck at the moment because nobody will employ a 41 year old disabled Aspie with a 3 page CV of voluntary work, plus I can't work full time for physical and financial reasons.

Equal opportunities my arse, they say that because they have to, they don't actually mean it IMO.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're in a large metro area. I don't know how much of an option it is (now or in the future) but consider a rural area, far away from any big cities.

If I were in your situation, I would look at job postings online for towns in areas I've never heard of or been to, and not just one or two but dozens or hundreds. Odds are, a small company in Dinkytown, Wyoming needs someone to sit in a nice quiet back office and do clerical work, and guess what? Rent in Dinkytown is $500/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment.

If not Dinkytown, Wyoming, then maybe a company in Littletown, Iowa has an opening in a job that sounds Aspie-friendly. If not there, maybe Miniville, Tennessee. Or Smallsburg, Missouri. You get the picture. If you don't have at least a 4-year degree and an impressive resume, I wouldn't be looking to make a life in a large metro area. But rural areas are filled with possibilities if you aren't picky about where.

I am glad you all understood my issues! I would love to move far away (fire watch tower ranger in huge remote wilderness of national park sounds perfect). Life is very complicated. I am in my 60s. No money. Health problems as well. Cannot live on what SSI disability gives ($750/month) unless I live in my car! (A looming possibility) Subsidized housing is 100% impossible in my city....unless you are coming out of a long stay from nursing home. ). Huge debts. I am so screwed. I took the only job I could get at the greatest wage. It’s not a living wage either. It’s horrible. I used up my sick and personal days for mental health, or blizzard snow storms. Every minute is misery there. I can’t afford to quit. I asked for sensory accodidations after I was hired, to no success.

I don't feel my disability will be of concern to the employer until I actually get the job and start working, however for the times that I have worked such as volunteering I think i've shown I have struggled at times where I am required to function under pressure, be more sociable, have adequate fitness for the job like anything more than 10kg is too much cos i'm very thin. I think this is the fact that my references probably wouldn't endorse any applications I make because I would be a liability rather than an asset. I've worked in offices, supermarkets, charity shops and warehouses; just shown that i'm not cut out for that kind of work. But wish they would just give me a chance to prove myself, even a work trial or something.

I finished a job this week where I worked data entry. That's my main skill, my favorite skill. The employer knew I was good at it and I did it. Find something you enjoy, discuss with an employer counselor if need be but I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy, good luck.

Have you ever considered selling your art online? If you're crafty you have plenty of options: Etsy, Patreon, Fiverr, and more! For some it doesn't turn into a lot of money BUT it might be a creative way to supplement your income and may help you find other attractive options while working from home.
All I want to do (or can do) is hyper focus and be a studio fine artist up it’s not financially or remotely possible. Back in the 1980s, I was a professional artist who created illustrations, animations, and advertising for corporations (pre computer society). I did not have to deal with people, or leave my studio unless to acquire or deliver jobs. A lot of crap happened (including addictions) and I wound up not working for decades (went in disability). Now, I have to work, and want to work (and kicked off disability- long story).

Jobs are all horrible!!! Lots of noise, people, technology to constantly keep up with. Gone are days of relaxing, focused work. I miss the old days when craftsmen worked alone, with their hands. My dream would be to live alone in a rural area, and be productive in quiet, without glaring lights, tons of human interactions. All I can get in my big city are jobs in customer service which is in a harsh gigantic store like Walmart, or Home Depot. How are folks here finding employment that fits their aspie needs?

I am 61, have increasing sensitivity processing disorder ( or the world is just getting more chaotic while I stay the same), work full time in a job I hate, and have great financial difficulties. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis, and decreasing eyesight. Yet, I must work and work for many years to come. I am alone (no trust funds). Any thoughts on my challenges would be helpful. I cannot continue at my current job. The 80 mile round trip daily driving commute is very dangerous to failing eyes. The sensory processing leaves me screaming silently in my head. What types of jobs are others here engaged in?

Have you ever considered selling your art online? If you're crafty you have plenty of options: Etsy, Patreon, Fiverr, and more! For some it doesn't turn into a lot of money BUT it might be a creative way to supplement your income and may help you find other attractive options while working from home.

I have an Etsy shop, and I used to sell my art all over the world. Then I stopped.The shop lies dormant. Start and stop. - the story of my life. I am currently working part time and today was day 2. Exhausting, but good seasonal work. Also have a second interview next week for something in my field also part time permanent. Which is difficult because it’s not what I really need sensory aspie wise, but great pay it is. It’s changes all day long, multiple tasks, and being positive and upbeat with lots of people, and driving groups places, and cooking group meals, and motivating, etc. Just writing it exhausts me.

I swear, I am never happy.

I have an Etsy shop, and I used to sell my art all over the world. Then I stopped.The shop lies dormant. Start and stop. - the story of my life. I am currently working part time and today was day 2. Exhausting, but good seasonal work. Also have a second interview next week for something in my field also part time permanent. Which is difficult because it’s not what I really need sensory aspie wise, but great pay it is. It’s changes all day long, multiple tasks, and being positive and upbeat with lots of people, and driving groups places, and cooking group meals, and motivating, etc. Just writing it exhausts me.

I swear, I am never happy.

I can see why that would be disatisfying and I dont want to risk insult to injury by making too many suggestions you've already tried! I often find myself in a similar position to find work where I can make a decent salary, be content in my surroundings and feel happy with the work I'm doing. Find the qualities in a work place that suit your specific needs and maybe try going to a work placement or job guidance center if that kind of resource is available to you. They might be able to find something that encourages your natural talents and abilities that you wouldn't normally come up with yourself! If you want to talk ideas or what kind of skills and requirements you have, I'd happily be your sounding board.

I can see why that would be disatisfying and I dont want to risk insult to injury by making too many suggestions you've already tried! I often find myself in a similar position to find work where I can make a decent salary, be content in my surroundings and feel happy with the work I'm doing. Find the qualities in a work place that suit your specific needs and maybe try going to a work placement or job guidance center if that kind of resource is available to you. They might be able to find something that encourages your natural talents and abilities that you wouldn't normally come up with yourself! If you want to talk ideas or what kind of skills and requirements you have, I'd happily be your sounding board.

You are wonderful! Thanks :)

@Mary Anne, I am sorry that you're having difficulties. I can empathize because I too have noticed that as I get older my sensory issues are getting worse. I am 41 and know that mine have gotten quite a bit worse than when I was in my 20s. Have you thought about trying a work from home call center agent's position? I just applied to a company named Conduent. Conduent hires people to basically provide either telephone technical support or customer service. You don't need a landline as the calls come over your internet connection. All you need is a computer capable of running Windows 10 and a USB headset. If you don't have a USB headset, you can get a cheap one on Amazon. I got one that cost twenty bucks called MPOW. The pay is, at best, so-so at 11.50 an hour but it is at least something. If you would like a link to apply, please send me a private message. I am going to give this a shot but I think I might be driven out of my mind being on phone calls for 8 hours a day.

You might even consider trying setting up a Fiverr or Freelance profile and see if you can get small, one off jobs doing design work?

Ok everyone, at the moment, I am now working around 30 plus hours a week and am physically exhausted. I also have a second job interview (in my field of mental health) next week! It’s all ok at the moment, but I truly appreciate all the tips and help. :)

@Mary Anne, I am sorry that you're having difficulties. I can empathize because I too have noticed that as I get older my sensory issues are getting worse. I am 41 and know that mine have gotten quite a bit worse than when I was in my 20s. Have you thought about trying a work from home call center agent's position? I just applied to a company named Conduent. Conduent hires people to basically provide either telephone technical support or customer service. You don't need a landline as the calls come over your internet connection. All you need is a computer capable of running Windows 10 and a USB headset. If you don't have a USB headset, you can get a cheap one on Amazon. I got one that cost twenty bucks called MPOW. The pay is, at best, so-so at 11.50 an hour but it is at least something. If you would like a link to apply, please send me a private message. I am going to give this a shot but I think I might be driven out of my mind being on phone calls for 8 hours a day.

I love the idea of working at home. I certainly will keep this info handy just in case! Please let us know how this job works out for you.

3 days in and working at Home Depot has been mentally pretty awesome, though mindful of all my “annoyances.” It’s very physically challenging, as I am walking around 10,000 steps average daily- 5 miles throughout the store. Or I am watering 8 hours straight, and wrestling with 100 foot heavy rubber garden hoses which nearly bring tears cuz I am in pain. I know the weekend is going to be super crazy busy, with lots of customer interaction, but the very worst thing is that I don’t know where items are in the store. Billions of items, and I am asked all day long about how to find this or that product, and I feel so frustrated not to know. I am obsessive in trying to know everything all the time, and this here I fail at. :)

There is sensory overload. Staring at thousands of plants and flowers (colors, textures, sizes, shapes) as I water them. I sometimes get soaking wet with the hose, and wind. I hate having wet feet all day! Hands and arms ache as I water high overhead hanging plants. Being continually interrupted to help customers is challenging. The sun is very bright even with hat and sunglasses. It will soon get extremely hot and I am prone to heat stroke. Lots of bending, and pick up - I ache all over from degenerative arthritis. I cannot pick up the 50 lb bags of soil, or the bricks that people ask me to, and it’s hard to impossible to find help.

Annoyances at the vast quantities of plants arriving daily by truck- it’s astonishing how many thousands of plants are delivered daily- much in need of watering (in addition to the current inventory of hundreds of thousands). It can be extremely claustrophobic in working around these tall rolling racks of jammed together plants. Annoyances too, of watering inside store...flooding the floors, and having to mop. Annoyed that people ignore the “caution -slippery floor signs” and walk through the water. Annoyances that there is rarely other help around when I need it. Annoyances of just how much water I am using, when there are global water shortages and people do not have drinking water!

Yet, it’s a very good job and pay is not too bad. Everyone is friendly and nice. The company is fair and secure. I can also sometimes get away if I start to feel overwhelmed. I can go in quiet aisles and get “lost” but I try not to do that too much. I am not trapped in the garden center cashier’s booth that would be torture). I can move around from indoors to out, take my break when I want. I am annoyed at punching time clocks. Have not had to deal with those since the 1970s!

Ok everyone, at the moment, I am now working around 30 plus hours a week and am physically exhausted. I also have a second job interview (in my field of mental health) next week! It’s all ok at the moment, but I truly appreciate all the tips and help. :)
Your current job sounds exhausting! I hope your interview works out.

Well, I think that both jobs are exhausting for different reasons. I will need to keep both jobs should I get it. They both are considered part time.
I will be very exhausted. I might not be able to do it. I may be overextending myself. I have to know my limits no matter how much
I need the money.

New Threads

Top Bottom