• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is Your Job?

Personally, I'm an Aspie who is still in high school, but my interests seem to move around quite a bit, except for that it always comes back down to either Archery, Writing, or Programming.

I don't have anywhere I can do archery in my area, so I haven't been able to do it for a few years, but it's still something that I miss. Writing is something I do on and off, whenever I get the right emotional state for whatever story I'm working on, which makes for some really inefficient writing XD. And programming is something I want to learn more about because I want to make a video game or maybe make some sort of software that will help someone, although I haven't been able to put any sort of actual effort into it yet, due to my interests and trying to catch up in school. Crappy grades and all.

Been a technical writer for most of my working life. Good for those with a slight technical bent, eye for detail and pedantic about grammar and logic.

Currently I'm a grocery bagger. Have been for almost a year. I was a bagger at another store for almost two years until I moved away. I'm making more money at this one though, and I get tips sometimes. But I hate having to put up with stupid customers who think they can be extremely rude to me - just for amusement - and get away with it.

Currently I'm a grocery bagger. Have been for almost a year. I was a bagger at another store for almost two years until I moved away. I'm making more money at this one though, and I get tips sometimes. But I hate having to put up with stupid customers who think they can be extremely rude to me - just for amusement - and get away with it.
It's amazing what you have to go through and the crap you have to put up with in the service industry. Management is also to be faulted for allowing it to happen. They should be preventing you from being harrassed and harrangued.

In my opinion, it's slightly tollerible for you to be rude or complain to me. As a bus driver, I'll put up with that. Fine, I get it, you're having a bad day and I'm the nearest target. You've got the problem, not me, so I'll allow you to behave like a schoolyard child. The moment it devolves to insults is when a line is crossed. Then the, "I'm the captain and I'm in command" voice comes out. I'm firm yet polite. That usually quickly resolves the issue at hand.

An NT friend of mine is a master at telling people to go to hell such that they thank her for the advice. I observed her in action. She is a baggage service agent for an airline so she deals with crap all day long. The secret seems to be remaining calm, rational, and not to take things personally.

I'm in the same boat too. I just got fired today this morning... I used to work for a place that is supposed to "empower" people. I have found this job to be too damn depressing for over a year now due to a number of things work related and non-work related. This was my second job, and I'm not too sure what to do now, all I know is that I'm depressed, angry and unemployed. Wish I could have been of at least some help, but I'm sorry.

I work as a "trolley boy" at a supermarket in the town next to mine, in other words I gather the shopping trolleys and return them to the shop for customer use. It can be a frustrating job especially as certain staff members take the trolleys and some of the customers are rude not to mention the crowding, the weather and the noise.

I'm in the same boat too. I just got fired today this morning... I used to work for a place that is supposed to "empower" people. I have found this job to be too damn depressing for over a year now due to a number of things work related and non-work related. This was my second job, and I'm not too sure what to do now, all I know is that I'm depressed, angry and unemployed. Wish I could have been of at least some help, but I'm sorry.
I'm sorry to hear man. Getting fired isnt any fun. Did they give you a reason?

It's amazing what you have to go through and the crap you have to put up with in the service industry. Management is also to be faulted for allowing it to happen. They should be preventing you from being harrassed and harrangued.

In my opinion, it's slightly tollerible for you to be rude or complain to me. As a bus driver, I'll put up with that. Fine, I get it, you're having a bad day and I'm the nearest target. You've got the problem, not me, so I'll allow you to behave like a schoolyard child. The moment it devolves to insults is when a line is crossed. Then the, "I'm the captain and I'm in command" voice comes out. I'm firm yet polite. That usually quickly resolves the issue at hand.

An NT friend of mine is a master at telling people to go to hell such that they thank her for the advice. I observed her in action. She is a baggage service agent for an airline so she deals with crap all day long. The secret seems to be remaining calm, rational, and not to take things personally.

Funny you should bring up management. One day (actually the very first day of this year) a customer asked me how I was doing but I felt I was barely surviving or able to have a life outside work, so I decided to be honest and say that. Well, this is proof that most people don't expect honest responses because she got so uncomfortable with this that obviously the best response was to laugh, quote me loudly and make fun of me - also loudly. Just go on and on and on about it, make a big show in front of everyone. There was a line. Everyone could hear her.

The manager who had given me a hard time and was forcing me to work outside my availability was right there, and she laughed along.

I wish I'd walked away then and there. Why did I stay and take it? :mad:

I agree that people are allowed to vent and be honest. It shouldn't be censored for the sake of politeness and societal norms. But most customers are rude to me personally, which should not be tolerated. Most of the rudeness I experience comes in the form of someone coming up to me and making a rude, teasing remark about my demeanor - or even my appearance. But unfortunately we have to put up with it - even the managers do - because of the "customer is always right" mentality. My store has all these posters in the break room bragging about being a "Better Place To Work," but with the union deciding my availability for me, not letting me travel for the holidays if I want to, and most of all customers being allowed to get away with being total *insert swear here* it's really not a good place to work at all. The only thing I like better is that I'm earning more money here.

The vast majority of the time, the customer is wrong. Dead wrong.

Man, I've vented about this in so many threads now. I kind of feel bad for spewing it everywhere. :neutral: Maybe I should start a thread of my own for this topic.

Last edited:
BAYT_TOILET_GREY.jpg

I like that idea.

I love the bus when it's empty
Before I get in and take the wheel
I'm not yet the driver
and the day is less real
Heh! That's pretty good. Although I actually like driving a big vehicle because other people generally give you a wide berth.

No people at all
I grab the wheel and steer
It's all fun and games
Until the first person boards
Then it's a pain in the rear.

Last edited:
Heh! That's pretty good. Although I actually like driving a big vehicle because other people generally give you a wide berth.

No people at all
I grab the wheel and steer
It's all fun and games
Until the first person boards
Then it's a pain in the rear.

That's funny. The beauty of poetry is in the perspective it reveals of the poet and that of the reader.

I've realized that for me, I have problems absorbing new information, and am not auditory at all, I am very visual and learn by doing. I like predictability, routine, regularity in a job. Repetitive tasks. I've tried a couple of call center jobs and haven't made it past orientation (voluntarily) because it's way too much information to remember and plus people in your ear all the time, NO way! I am now going to focus solely on production/manufacturing because those are pretty repetitive and might be a bit more physically hard but if I can actually do the job, which I couldn't at a call center, that's the name of the game!

"The customer is always right..."
I had to look it up.

I started to wonder who did say it first.
If there was actually one person to "blame" it on. :p
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/10/06/customer/
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/106700.html

Although Marshal Field and Harry Selfridge both used
the line in the early 1900s they weren't first with the idea.
"In 1908 César Ritz (1850-1918), the celebrated French hotelier
is credited with saying 'Le client n'a jamais tort' -
'The customer is never wrong'.
That's not the phrase that people now remember, but
it can hardly be said to be any different in meaning to
'the customer is always right'."

A phrase that comes to mind for my job might be;

"The customer is always a 900 pound gorilla, and who's gonna argue with that? Build it tough."

Or;

"Remember, 70% of people don't read directions, and of the 30% who do, only 15% follow them."

New Threads

Top Bottom