• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is Your Job?

Receiver, I check in items as they come in, then do routine temperature logs and inventory check ups.

"and my coworkers mostly leave me alone." I like that phrase!
I finally understand getting bored and looking for another job is quite likely a component of my Aspergers. I fought the feeling for years in jobs I hated and all I got for it was misery.

I used to work full time..... (until i had health problems and normal work was very difficult).....shop work in a jewellers/furniture shop/electrical shop at various times. Also did voluntary work for a charity for elderly people with dementia and occasional work delivering books/bibles with the local church, although I've never been religious, but was thankful for the odd £20 or £30 when money was scarce. I now help my family with housework, garden maintenance and helping my young niece and nephew with their school homework.

Software developer (prior to that various finance/data/tech roles). Running my own company is the best thing ever, as there is so much to do and I can never get bored. I can always 'procrastinate' on one area by working on another. Although I had to spend a decade+ in PAYE to be financially able to do it and I very occasionally miss the safety net of having other people to rely on when I'm completely stuck on something. But overall it's very well suited to me.

I am a mechanical design engineer for a company that builds dust-free loading equipment. Thankgiving week was my 20 year anniversary there. Before that I also worked in engineering. Being able to draw, visualize, and build and fix things always came easy for me, as well as the math. So I knew something like that was what I was going to do.

It works for me because I can stay dedicated to the engineering department. We have other departments such as sales and service. I'd not be so good at those. I can talk with people to get appropriate information and drawings to make something work. But trying to convince them to buy equipment, or trying to smooth them over when equipment is broken, neither of those would work for me. My company knows I'd be a disaster in those situations so they keep me in engineering where I can be the most benefit to the company.

New Threads

Top Bottom