• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is This Indigo Phenomenon About?

total-recoil

Apologies if this isn't an appropriate thread but all it is is I'm just curious. Last night I stumbled upon this Indigo phenomenon and understand there are people known as Indigo aspies. So far, all I can gather is that the Indigo situation is definitely unorthodox and probably not in the recognised spectrum of diagnosis. More a personality trait. What intrigued me, though, is I found quite a few characteristics that really hit home in a big way but not part of aspergers. It's as if it's like a few missing traits I found that I also have.
Does anyone know anything about this Indigo situation?

The only thing that springs to mind is indigo children / starseeds theory. Basically there are people who believe there are many people on Earth who are not entirely human, that they are either part alien(hybrids) or their 'soul' is alien and they are here for some specific reason. I have read alot about stuff like this and alot of the traits of being a 'star child' are similar/the same as being an aspie. I read one theory that Aspie's are in fact human/alien hybrids and as such they lack certain human qualities but have certain alien qualities that make them in essence 'super human'. I can't remember all of the details, it was an obsession of mine a few years back and I read alot, watched alot of videos, spoke to some really insane people but as with all my obsessions when I drop it I drop the knowledge eventually too. It will be interesting to see what alot of them say when 21st December comes and goes and not a damn thing happens :lol:

I believe it is a new age kind of thingy that came out several years ago when aspergers was first starting to be recognized by the general population. It was a way to make us seem unique and special. I personally do not buy it. I prefer aspie vs. NT. I believe we are unique and special and while we may be "disabled" in some ways we are also gifted to varying degrees in other ways. We do have a unique vision of the world and some of us, like my son, have special gifts. My son is an extremely talented violinist in addition to being aspie. He has great difficulty with processing speed in school although his IQ is above average. Music is something else, however. He looks at a score and internalizes it immediately understanding all of the nuances. Then he expresses the musical notation flawlessly and with amazing beauty through his violin. He did not get this from me. If I have any musical talent it is well hidden and buried somewhere irretrievable. There is some scientific research that suggests autistics have some areas of their brains that become hyper-functional giving them extraordinary capability depending upon where in the brain it occurs. Apparently my son hit the jackpot in the music region.

Last edited:
It is definitely a New Age thing that romanticizes people on the spectrum. It has no scientific basis whatsoever nor is it recognized as valid by any mainstream researchers. To me it is a waste of time. It relies on concepts that have either not been proven or have been disproven. I realize I may be stepping on toes here but why is it that professional researchers (NASA, astronomers, etc.) have spent their entire lives and careers and spent billions of dollars searching for extraterrestial life and haven't even yet found one undisputed Martian microbe (though that may change) yet we are asked to believe that aliens do exist and have been interacting with humans etc.? The Indigo child explanation may sound harmless and feel-good but the danger is that it may send parents of those children off on a wild-goose chase and actually hinder their development.

Supposing that instead of the Indigo child/starseed explanation for autism, demonic possession (which is taken seriously by a great many otherwise rational and intelligent people) was proposed as the cause? I doubt people on here would be sitting back and saying that's ok. They'd be outraged. They would say that this is the sort of thing that sets medicine back and gives religion a bad name. I doubt ANYONE on this forum would advocate treatments and therapies designed on the assumption that demonic possession was the reason someone was autistic. Indigo child theories are no different. If it's not based on solid science it should not be promoted.

You took the words right out of my mouth, SpinningCompass. I'm so exasperated with proponents of this cockamamie theory. It gives parents of either ADHD or Aspie/Autie children a further excuse to go into denial. Instead of having to believe that their children are born with a difference that is a neurological or medical anomaly that may require special interventions, schools, classes or therapies, that the child is somehow a magical gift from outer space that represents a higher evolutionary state. Instead of feeling troubled about their children's challenges, they can instead think that their children are a part of some special elite & nourish their own self-centred fantasies of having a giftedness.

I've been told I am a so-called Indigo/Crystal child/star child myself by some kooks at a New Religions convention I attended. In my case, I wasn't in NT drag & I do have kind of BJD features so based on this & some other trivial nonsense 'observations', I got labelled. had I been a kid with vulnerable parents searching for any alternate diagnosis besides one in the DSM, the consequences of this foolishness could've been devastating.

You took the words right out of my mouth, SpinningCompass. I'm so exasperated with proponents of this cockamamie theory. It gives parents of either ADHD or Aspie/Autie children a further excuse to go into denial. Instead of having to believe that their children are born with a difference that is a neurological or medical anomaly that may require special interventions, schools, classes or therapies, that the child is somehow a magical gift from outer space that represents a higher evolutionary state. Instead of feeling troubled about their children's challenges, they can instead think that their children are a part of some special elite & nourish their own self-centred fantasies of having a giftedness.

I've been told I am a so-called Indigo/Crystal child/star child myself by some kooks at a New Religions convention I attended. In my case, I wasn't in NT drag & I do have kind of BJD features so based on this & some other trivial nonsense 'observations', I got labelled. had I been a kid with vulnerable parents searching for any alternate diagnosis besides one in the DSM, the consequences of this foolishness could've been devastating.
I know a lot more about it now. Not only has it pretty much died a total death but I can see it's a pretty silly New Age religion. I stumbled upon it as I was interested in paranormal experiences and aspergers. I was trying to find out if paranormal experiences were typically experienced by aspies and that's how I hit upon Indigos (which I knew nothing about at all).
Unfortunately so much of the paranormal has become the field of quacks, cult leaders, gurus and pseudo-scientists.
However the case may be there was a program in the seventies called The Tomorrow People so this idea must have been inspired by the Indigo belief system. The kids in the show could teleport, use telepathy and so on.
Nope, I definitely don't have any plans to call myself an Indigo Aspie, you'll all be glad to know. I did find one site and it was pretty much dead.

Some cults start out as semi rational and later degenerate as other leaders and quacks get involved. I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon of New Age cults. Curious how in the Fifties you had Howard Menger who started up a contactee fan base and claimed to have taken the odd trip to outer space with some Venusian pals he had casually encountered. Much later, Bud Hopkins came along with his hypnotic regression activities but very recently he suffered a huge blow to his status and accusations of taking people in.
However, I do happen to believe true science shouldn't be obstructed by things that discredit serious research. Actually I didn't find any early Indigo material that suggested aspies were "star children" as I think the suggestion was everybody born between 1968 and the nineties were apparently Indigo ( maybe a bit like the Chinese years of the Dragon and Dog and so on. Probably all the more sensational doctrines would have come later on. Needless to say, I'm not sold by any of it.

The only thing that springs to mind is indigo children / starseeds theory. Basically there are people who believe there are many people on Earth who are not entirely human, that they are either part alien(hybrids) or their 'soul' is alien and they are here for some specific reason. I have read alot about stuff like this and alot of the traits of being a 'star child' are similar/the same as being an aspie. I read one theory that Aspie's are in fact human/alien hybrids and as such they lack certain human qualities but have certain alien qualities that make them in essence 'super human'. I can't remember all of the details, it was an obsession of mine a few years back and I read alot, watched alot of videos, spoke to some really insane people but as with all my obsessions when I drop it I drop the knowledge eventually too. It will be interesting to see what alot of them say when 21st December comes and goes and not a damn thing happens :lol:

Interesting topic... I did some research on "indigo children" a while back when a friend said something about it one time. I never found anything that mentioned it being a human/alien hybrid though. Very strange concept. :p

Interesting topic... I did some research on "indigo children" a while back when a friend said something about it one time. I never found anything that mentioned it being a human/alien hybrid though. Very strange concept. :p
Funny but the most famous aspie in this country at the moment may be Gary Mckinnon and some would say for all the wrong reasons like hacking into NASA in search of E.T. However, I must admit that I do happen to know quite a lot about UFO's (same as Gary Mckinnon) and I had the interest more so when I was a kid. Not that I in any way believe aspies are secret aliens or anything so weird.
Still, maybe a lot of aspies have this interest in either paranormal or UFO cases.
Unfortunately what I did find was this Indigo belief system and the only reason it struck me so vividly was the stuff about connection to animals which is definitely me and not always quoted as an aspie trait. Not only that but rage experienced due to social injustice which again I haven't seen listed as an aspie symptom (concern yes but not rage).
So I winded up kind of disappointed. It seems as if the Indigo cult sort of "lifted" known autism traits and then used them to apply to Indigos whom they claim are not aspies but homo superior or tomorrow people, gifted with special powers and so on.
My advice is the take the Indigo thing with a very large pinch of salt.

Hey all! I just came in this thread via a google search as part of my current special interest, which is a very exciting one, namely understanding myself and what makes me different from normal people (trying to solve the autism puzzle, which I made huge leaps forward in recently)!
As part of my years of studying my special interest I stumbled upon the Indigo Aspie spiritual cult connection recently and found a remarkable grain of truth contained in this starseed cult, namely some similarities to parts of my model, which I reached from a totally different perspective. I agree the cult is crazy for the most part so don't fear me going off into some irrational direction with aliens or something like that. I'm a rational thinker, usually allergic to spiritual hogwash, that's why I only found out about this connection quite recently. But I think most cults are build around a grain of truth and then degenerate as time moves on as total-recoil states correctly. If you have any interest in me sharing my ideas with you just message me and I'll lead you there slowly. It's way too much to all share on this forum, because I could almost write an entire book on my findings already and it requires quite some invested time of you to follow me through all my previous studies.

Hey all! I just came in this thread via a google search as part of my current special interest, which is a very exciting one, namely understanding myself and what makes me different from normal people (trying to solve the autism puzzle, which I made huge leaps forward in recently)!
As part of my years of studying my special interest I stumbled upon the Indigo Aspie spiritual cult connection recently and found a remarkable grain of truth contained in this starseed cult, namely some similarities to parts of my model, which I reached from a totally different perspective. I agree the cult is crazy for the most part so don't fear me going off into some irrational direction with aliens or something like that. I'm a rational thinker allergic to spiritual hogwash, that's why I only found out about this connection more or less by chance quite recently. But I think most cults are build around a grain of truth and then degenerate as time moves on as total-recoil states correctly. If you have any interest in me sharing my ideas with you just message me and I'll lead you there slowly. It's way too much to all share on this forum, because I could almost write an entire book on my findings already and it also requires quite some time of you to follow me through some other areas of my previous studies (depending of how much you know or don't know already, that may take some time).

yeah, man, I got linked to one of these ridiculous youtube pages, once. YOu are right, that is what he is referring to. Stupid because there is no evidence to support any of it

Vanity.

Why did Tappe do it? For the money, I think. Why do others take it up? The cynic in me says, for the comfort of imaginary superiority, like the people claiming that aspies are some kind of "evolved" human.

We're all evolved. It's how some get to be fabulous at some things and not so much at others, across the spectrum, the phylum, the genus.

Like some have said, there is a grain... they just have the wrong grain.

Aspies are a Human/Barley hybrid. Our specialness is that we have traits from both the animal and plant kingdoms.

;)

...Ooookay, some people apparently need a wee break from their regularly scheduled fantasy and sci-fi. o_O

I won't say I'm an alien, but I may have convinced a few people in the past I was part demon. :D

Hello,

Like 'StandUpForReason' above, I found this thread via a Google search. I have a special interest in the debate about Asperger individuals being human/alien hybrids, because this brings in our views about the nature of reality and who we are (biological and spiritual beings?) – really huge questions!

I have also found numerous overlaps between Asperger traits and descriptions of 'indigo children', 'star children', 'starseeds' etc. I agree that such 'New Age' constructs often contain idealised views of such individuals - portraying them as highly sensitive, gentle, intelligent, with special gifts etc. and downplaying all that is difficult or less than ideal about Asperger's.

However, after reading Michael Newton’s books on ‘life between lives’, where he talks about hybrid souls, I’m open to the possibility that maybe Asperger souls do come from elsewhere in the universe – not that they have alien DNA or anything; just that their souls have not necessarily originated from Earth. Although he doesn’t link hybrid souls with Asperger’s, the strength of Michael Newton’s view is that he does not idealise these types (hybrid souls). In fact, he acknowledges that they have a high frequency of psychological pain, confusion, isolation, depression, and suicide ideation in their lives on Earth.

Can anyone prove that this *isn’t* the case?!

From what I've read, in theory it's a New-Agey way to saddle children with the burden of being Saviors, albeit standing in the on-deck circle. From what I've seen, in practice it's an excuse by lazy parents for not even attempting to instill discipline in their ASD/ADD/ADHD/SUGARRUSHING/OVERCAFFINATED/ATTENTIONSTARVED/WHATEVER children.

I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing...

First, I like to not default to dismissing the things that I cannot disprove...So I can't say that this is totally untrue.

But...this really feels like a trendy "special snowflake syndrome" ...and I don't like how that gets linked in with AS and ASD, which are real issues and challenges. The existence of the label "Indigo Child" and the fact that anyone can just "diagnose" themselves or their children or anyone else with it is troubling to me.

For example, when I "came out" to one of my friends (not a super close friend) with my diagnosis she suggested that I was not autistic and, instead, was an Indigo child. This, of course, felt demeaning and inappropriate.

New Threads

Top Bottom