• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What fictional characters do you suspect of being autistic?

Dr Seuss Clark One Fish Two Fish.jpg

Jessica Brown Findlay's character, Bella Brown, in the film - This Beautiful Fantastic

Arlo Anderson in "Frog". One of my favorite movies as a kid.

I don't think Anne Shirley herself was on the spectrum, although she would make a great sympathetic NT friend. There are a number of minor characters in the books who have a (possibly autism-related) reputation for being difficult to get on with - Mr Harrison in Anne of Avonlea, Katherine Brooke in Anne of Windy Willows and Leslie Moore in Anne's House of Dreams - and Anne has this uncanny ability to win them over.
Still on the subject of characters introduced in Anne of Avonlea, Emily Harrison (Mr Harrison's
estranged wife
) is likely a recovering OCD. Dora Keith's character is so barely developed it's not really possible to attach any label to her. However, she strikes me as the kind of person who, were she Aspie, would slip under the radar and not get diagnosed until adulthood if at all - unlike her more attention-seeking twin brother.

Detective Saga Noren in crime drama Bron/Broen - not explicitly stated to have Aspergers, but it is strongly hinted at : Saga Norén - Wikipedia
Her traits are quite exaggerated (like Sheldon's in BBT), but it's done much more sensitively and sympathetically during the series.

I think Kel, of Kenan and Kel fame, is possibly Aspie.

Gotta be some reason why he's as thick as a bowl of custard.

Dexter from "Dexter", obviously, is a character that I see many traits in which I can relate to. Although I wish I had his organisational skills and his body. Lol.

Hiccup from "How To Train Your Dragon" certainly does think differently to the rest of the community and will break even the most fundamental rules when they conflict with his sense of justice and compassion.

Sam Lowry from "Brazil" I feel or imagine is also more than just a daydreaming misfit.

Leon from "Leon" aka "The Professional" definitely takes after me, lol. He breaks the rules but has a strong moral instinct.

Sally from "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", no one takes her concerns seriously and puts all her distress down to being a badly behaved spoilt child.

Yoshiko (Fallen Angel Yohane) from "LoveLive! Sunshine!!" has a strange obsession that, although not properly explained, I like to think is autism related. I think she's ador(k)able actually. :")

Kafuu Chino from "Is The Order A Rabbit" seems to have trouble expressing herself, showing her emotions and feeling part of the group. She has a very monotone voice and "pokerface".

Kyou Nukui from "Tenshi No 3P!" is a (previously bullied) reclusive young man who has trouble talking to people his own age, and who focuses his attention on his electronic music hobby. He is kind hearted, and he has creative potential and has a great enthusiasm that can only be brought out with the help and friendship of his slightly odd but non-threatening new friends.

That's all I can think of right now.

Recently re-reading Anne of the Island got me thinking that Roy Gardner (Anne's beau) might be on the spectrum.

What led me to this suspicion was a detail in the chapter after Anne has rejected his marriage proposal. Roy's sister Dorothy, who is keen to remain friends with Anne nevertheless, tells Anne that her brother will get over this rejection as he has done with three previous relationships (not very tactful!). That suggests that Roy has a rather formulaic approach to wooing that draws women in but who ultimately reject him for not being the full emotional package. Not exactly a slam-dunk autism diagnosis, but it certainly reminds me of accounts told by disheartened NT women about their Aspie ex-husbands. One can't help wondering why these women didn't see this coming, what with their supposedly brilliant TOMs...

Elliot Alderson in Mr.Robot ... it's unclear if he is an aspie, but it's a strong possibility, on top of all the other things wrong with him mentally... Then again Rami Malek himself is strongly awkward in interviews too...

Roy Cropper in Coronation Street, a good friend once told us his character was based on an Autistic person.

I totally missed this one before: Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Last edited:
Monk from Monk
Daria from Daria
Hermione from Harry Potter
I'm also wondering about David Bowie and Freddy Mercury, they were oddballs, very focused and, I think, a bit socially awkward off stage. I.myself am a musician, so I get the Aspie musician type thing.

The Girl with the dragon tattoo? I’m on the library waiting list so I can reread the book.
I love her whether she is autistic or not!

• Sheldon and Amy from the Big Bang theory
  • Rewatching Harry Potter films and I feel like Luna Lovegood is on the spectrum.
  • The younger child from the tv show The Middle , I don’t know his name...
  • Lisa Simpson
  • Newt Scamander
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Mary Bennet from pride and prejudice
  • Jj from skins.
  • Reed from Criminal Minds
  • Temperance “bones” and Zach from bones (I miss that show)
  • Marcus from About a boy
Incidentally this reminds me of a list of “famous people on the spectrum “ that I was given shortly after my diagnosis...

Mork from Mork and Mindy (played by the late Robin Williams)

Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons (He's about 5 or 6 and acts a LOT younger)

Moe Syzlak from the Simpsons (has no social skills despite being a Pub Landlord)

There are a number of minor characters in the books who have a (possibly autism-related) reputation for being difficult to get on with - Mr Harrison in Anne of Avonlea, Katherine Brooke in Anne of Windy Willows and Leslie Moore in Anne's House of Dreams - and Anne has this uncanny ability to win them over.
I'm less convinced about Katherine Brooke after re-reading AoWW; her backstory suggests a different diagnosis.

One that definitely comes to mind is the main character from the show Bones. I think it is uncommon for there to be any official recognition of autism by authors of fiction although oftentimes it can be implied.

I just started watching Bones and I 100% agree. I love it every time Temperance deadpans, “I don’t know what that means.”

To be honest, I think almost every show tends to have at least one character that is more socially awkward/introverted than the others and can have autism-like traits (can also be more than one).

They all follow the pattern established by Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes: There’s a genius who is the only one that can solve this hard problem, but they have some personality quirk that makes them almost intolerable. Columbo, House, Monk, Psyche, Bones, and dozens more that I can’t think of right now all follow this pattern.

New Threads

Top Bottom