• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What fictional characters do you suspect of being autistic?

Watched the original Ghostbusters again recently and noticed that the accountant character (Rick Moranis) Louis Tully - originally portrayed as an oddball/strange/awkward character is actually, what we might understand now, strongly on the high functioning ASD scale.

Possibly even Egon Spengler as he seems quite oblivious to things that are happening around him and instead focusing on his scientific interests. Could just be poor acting, who knows...

Dr. Arthur Cavor from the BBC's 2010 TV movie version of "H.G.Wells The First Men in the Moon" (I've not read the book so I can't say how accurate his character is in comparison).
In the film, he had a specific routine which involved him going down a particular road outside a house (later resided in by Julius Bedford) and walking back and forth - watching the sunset while his mind was brimming with ideas; with a side effect of this been that he make a variety of humming/buzzing noises (similar to a stim).
This is best shown when Julius Bedford brings the noises Cavor makes to his attention (with Cavor not even realizing he was doing it) and telling him to stop it, with Cavor agreeing but later confronting Bedford as the disruption in his routine has affected him and made it near-impossible for him to work.
On top of this, he's a very clever man - coming up with a material that can resist the effects of gravity that he later names "Cavorite" - and when set on an idea remains very focused on it, yet he is socially withdrawn to the point where Bedford points out that if aliens landed on Earth he would be the last to hear about it.

I'd recommend you give it a watch if you get chance:

Okay, I've actually found some footage from the film so you guys can watch and judge Arthur Cavor's personality for yourself:
(Arthur first appears at 5:23)

Binge watching the cancelled 2002 series "Firefly" makes me wonder at times about Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds.

He can't seem to ever say the right thing to the most important females in his personal orbit. o_O

MalReynoldsFirefly.JPG

Sadly I can relate. :oops:

Great series if you enjoy an odd melding of space opera and horse opera into the same show. :cool:

Last edited:
Binge watching the cancelled 2002 series "Firefly" makes me wonder at times about Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds.

Malcom Reynolds does seem to have an "overdeveloped sense of justice", and an inability to let go of things he thinks need to be set right. That's a very spectrum-y trait, in my opinion.

In Fringe ...

Don't click on the Spoiler if you plan to watch Fringe and haven't watched all of Season 2.

Alternate Astrid Farnsworth is definitely portrayed as being on the spectrum. They made her a walking computer that doesn't make eye contact and takes everything literally. Following all the stereotypes almost too much.

I personally think that Edward from Cowboy Bebop might be somewhere on the Autism spectrum, since she exhibits behaviors similar to me. Everyone's experience with Autism is different, but that's my personal opinion on her.

Me being obsessed with British books/tv (mini) series, I throw in:

Mr Darcy (socially awkward, perfectionist etc - though there might be other things as well)

DI Joe Chandler from the mini-series Whitechapel (not only the obvious OCD but also social-awkardness both profesional-wise and in private)

DCI Vera Stanhope from the series Vera (though with a big question mark. There are many other issues around her, and yet - could be?)

I would love to hear what you think of my ideas. Debunk them, if you disagree but please explain, why you think it. I'd love to learn other perspectives and hone my detective skills further.

Me being obsessed with British books/tv (mini) series, I throw in:

Mr Darcy (socially awkward, perfectionist etc - though there might be other things as well)

I haven't seen Whitechapel or Vera, but I agree with Mr. Darcy. He also just barrels through situations with no idea what affect his actions have on others until they tell him directly - then he's horrified.

On my 4th time watching Eureka (the SyFy channel TV series) and I realized that Kevin Blake belongs on this list.

Edit three weeks later: In the last episode of season 2, they actually mention Kevin's autism. How did I miss that before?! I guess that because I didn't know I was autistic the last time I watched Eureka, I didn't pay attention to it. I will now hang my head in shame for twelve seconds.

Last edited:
I agree on Napoleon Dynamite. It's conceivable that in addition to Napoleon, Deb and Pedro were also on the spectrum in my opinion. It's probably one of the reasons I really like that movie whereas my wife can't stand watching the film and thinks it's boring as hell.

Morris Moss from The IT Crowd would be a candidate.

DCI Vera Stanhope from the series Vera (though with a big question mark. There are many other issues around her, and yet - could be?)

hmmmmm... not sure, less so in the books but maybe the tv series? Thought she was more the odd, non-conforming person who has unresolved issues and been single too long... more trauma-y than asd-y (the whole story with her father....) but yeah, I can see what you mean.

hmmmmm... not sure, less so in the books but maybe the tv series? Thought she was more the odd, non-conforming person who has unresolved issues and been single too long... more trauma-y than asd-y (the whole story with her father....) but yeah, I can see what you mean.

I was thinking out loudly. As I don't know the books, I can only judge on the few episodes I've watched on the telly a few years ago.

I definitely see the trauma thing but while I'm exploring my own little self from a different point of view, I was wondering if there was more to it.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply!

I think Spongebob and Squidward from the cartoon could both be autistic. Spongebob is extremely extroverted ASD think this can go together) he wants to talk with everyone and dosen't understand that he annoys everyone. Despite he thinks everyone are his friends, his only real friends are Patrick and Sandy. On Sunday he can't stand not going to work his obession is - making krabby paties. Once when they switched from krabby paties to krabby dogs, he couldn't stand that change. Also, once he didn't understand irony. For the difference, Squidward hates all people and can't stand Spongebob and Patrick. Dosen't have any friends. In one episode tried to make friends, but failed. His obsessions are art and music. Altrough he thinks he is a music genius, everyone hates his music. Two different caracters, two completely differest personalities, but both showing autistic traits. Spongebob is classic Autism and Squidward is Asperger's syndrome.

Some people suggest that J.P. from Craig of the Creek acts like he has ASD. There's even an episode where he thinks he's an alien (for some reason, I didn't pay attention but I think it's because his sister says he is/his family are "not like other people" lmao) and his friends obsess over trying to get him back with his alien family. I don't know if the creators intended to give him ASD traits but I like him.

I recently watched "Kid Cosmic and the Rings of Power" on Netflix. I kind of headcannon Kid as autistic.
Obsessive interests: Stacks of comic books, mostly sci-fi and superhero stories which he knows practically by heart.

Behavioral problems: Getting extremely frustrated when he can't get the ring to work, to the point of throwing things around (meltdown, or just a mini tantrum?)
He's also seen as a weirdo by the town, causing difficulties without meaning to.

Difficulty with body language/ Social cues: Jo creates a distraction so Kid can sneak out of the diner after causing a disruption. She silently gestures with her head for him to leave, and he just stares at her like he doesn't get it.
Later on in the show, he's trying to talk to someone, and totally misses the other guy's repeated sarcasm.

Strong sense of right and wrong: that's what heroes do, after all.

None of this proves he's autistic, of course. In fact, I think if he were meant to be autistic they would have made him a little more stereotypical (he's not a savant, and I didn't notice any sensory issues).
But there's enough here that I interpret him as being on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom