• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your IQs and a bit on why I'm asking and how it relates to autism

An Arctic fox

I'm asking because
1. People on the (I dont like this term) high functioning end usually have a higher IQ and people on the lower functioning levels have low IQs.
2. I just took an IQ test and am curious what other people's results are.

So tell me what your iq is (or just like what it means like normal or genius or something) and where you are or think you are on the spectrum

My IQ is 134, which means that I'm too smart to know how dumb I am, and I'm on the part of the spectrum where I need 7 medications, a consistent schedule, and an endlessly operating support system of friends and mental health professionals in order to function at a level which appears normal to the average observer.

Hm, I've always had mixed thoughts on the whole IQ number thing.

In my case, I'm supposedly in the "genius" level. Heck if I remember just what the number was, but I do remember that certain family members wouldnt shut up about it for awhile.

But at the same time, I dont think these tests REALLY do a good job at judging intelligence. There's just too much that goes into the concept, and the tests themselves often dont really touch upon it, or they do, but in the wrong way.

Example: In the testing that I did, there was a section dedicated to math. Now, here's the thing: I'm bloody awful at math. Ask me to do addition/subtraction, and sure, I'll do that. Multiplication? Well, okay, but I'll do it slowly and may make mistakes. Division? That'll get you nothing but a blank stare. Anything higher than that, and I'll just fling shoes at you until you go away. I remember I looked at the list of problems, handed it back to the guy running the test, and basically just said "Nope, cant do that". Fortunately for me it was merely one part of a rather long test.

And none of that has to do with intelligence: it has to do with the fact that I never really learned math in the first place, due to finding it to be more boring than watching paint dry. As a kid in school, I could not have given less of a crap. On top of that, I grew up learning to use computers. And the way I look at it, the computers are the ones that do the math, not me. What's the point of me struggling with a stupid algebra problem for 2 hours, when I could just throw it at the computer and get an answer in two seconds?

But these tests simply dont account for things like that. If you learned it and know it, the number rises. If you didnt learn it or simply didnt care, it does not rise.

And then there were other aspects. I seem to recall a part of the test that involved a question like "list as many different animals as you can". Er... I think. That MIGHT have been on a different type of test, my memory is very bad, but I'm currently remembering it as being part of the IQ test. This also has nothing to do with intelligence: it's merely recital. Oddly though I was able to list many different species, but I've always had an interest in animals.

Also, I tell you this: You dont feel particularly smart, when you just spent 5 frustrated minutes trying to open a hotel room door, only to suddenly realize you were trying to do it with your car remote. I do spaced-out stuff like that all the time. "Genius". Sure, buddy. Sure. The fact that I have a memory like a cheese grater doesnt help.

As for where I am on the spectrum, I'm high functioning. I'm sure there's more detail to it than that, but I cant remember what it is.

There, I'm done rambling.

My IQ is the same and I'm on like 5 meds I think but maybe more or less I need certain consistencies and yeah I need a big support system to to function normal enough but then again I'm not going to school currently so that will lead to me needing more stuff prob

I do know that IQ tests arent great measurement of intelligence but I still find them somewhat helpful for generalities and I find them interesting.
Yeah I get the not feeling very smart, I dont feel so either and my short and working memory suck

My IQ is the same and I'm on like 5 meds I think but maybe more or less I need certain consistencies and yeah I need a big support system to to function normal enough but then again I'm not going to school currently so that will lead to me needing more stuff prob

Oh, yeah, I'm on a pile of different meds myself as well. No idea what any of them do. I'm sure it was explained to me, but I cant remember my own address, so.... yeah.

I suspect that quite alot of us here are on plenty of funky meds. Seems to go with the territory.

Oh, yeah, I'm on a pile of different meds myself as well. No idea what any of them do. I'm sure it was explained to me, but I cant remember my own address, so.... yeah.

I suspect that quite alot of us here are on plenty of funky meds. Seems to go with the territory.
Yeah it does seem to and I dont resllyknow what mine do either

I'm asking because
1. People on the (I dont like this term) high functioning end usually have a higher IQ and people on the lower functioning levels have low IQs.
2. I just took an IQ test and am curious what other people's results are.

So tell me what your iq is (or just like what it means like normal or genius or something) and where you are or think you are on the spectrum
Congrats you scored 1 point higher than me, or is it I? Honestly who gives a rats arse. According to the test I took I'm "gifted". Yeah, I'm in my early 40's and I have 22 dollars in my checking account. What a blessing it is to have a high IQ. By the way I took the test frickin wasted. Took a pre test for Mensa and it said I had a chance at passing their test to become a member. BIG frickin whoop de do. It means nothing. If I truly was gifted I I'd at least be rich by now. Or would have accomplished something., anything. I graduated high school with honors and it also means nothing. Not a damn thing. Autism equals misery which is why we are all on this site in the first place. High test scores do Not equal success or happiness

Just to be clear, no one has stated that IQ does equate to intelligence or that IQ tests matter. OP merely stated a curiosity and an interest.

IQ tests can be fun and interesting.
Mine has changed through the period of a lifetime.
I never had learning difficulties in school, but, every other trait that people think of as autistic traits, yes.
Back then the schools did not think about ASD and so I was just labled with anxiety disorder
and non social.
In college my IQ tests were off the charts so I was in that genius status.

I'm 62 now and the normal aging process has set in.
Short term memory problems and PTSD from life incidents six years ago combined with
anxiety and depression have brought my last IQ score I took during a neuroscience
exam down. Still in the high range around 145.
I asked my psychologist about this new rating score they have for on the spectrum
and she said I fell into the high intellect but low in executive functions.
So I didn't fit 1 or 2 completely. I said I guess I'm a 1.75 ?
And that's how my life always was. High intellect, good at masking, but, low in executive functioning
especially on my own. I need high support.

New Threads

Top Bottom